The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HV3 Mic Pre vs HV3C? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Head

HV3 Mic Pre vs HV3C?

I am considering purchasing a Millennia Media HV3 stereo mic pre amp. I am trying to figure out a fair price. Most of the prices on Gearslutz are for the newer, HV-3C unit.

The unit I am looking at has two channels on the front. Each channel has a "High Voltage/Normal" hole with a plug in it (high voltage option not included), a +48v/off switch, a 12-position gain switch and an overload (OL) LED. It says "Millenia Nedia, HIgh Voltage Microphone Preamplifier, Model HV3" on the front and has four DC power leds, +50, +130, +25, -25.

On the back it has jacks for two channels, with an input, outpout, and high-voltage input jack.

My questions are:

1.) What are the main differences between the HV3 and the HV3C and how would these differences impact the selling price?

2.) I read about HVB. However, the unit I am looking at only says HV3 on the front panel. Is this an HV3B or is HV3 a different unit?

3.) From various ads on Gearslutz I am thinking that ~$1200 is a fair price for this unit. Does this sound like a fair price to people who know this unit?

Thanks for your help.
Old 30th June 2009
KAB
Gear Addict

Just a thought - you might want to contact Millennia re the differences and get it straight from the source. Good people. Millennia Media - Makers of Fine Audio Recording Equipment Hope this helps.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Original HV3

In the past, I've owned all the HV3, HV3B and the HV3C and although they say it is the same circuit, I found the original HV3 (the 4 channel unit) to be sweeter sounding.

I really did not take to the sound of the HV3C for my uses. But the original HV3 was pretty good.

Maybe it had different OpAmps?

Peace
Marco
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Head

HV3 vs, HV3C

Thanks for the input. I followed KAB's advice and emailed Millennia Media and here is what they had to say:

Hi Mark,

The HV3 is really old. That was the first preamp we sold. There is a date on the serial number label.

The preamp circuit itself hasn’t changed over the years, but controls, gain steps, packaging and power supplies have.

The good new is, most of them are still serviceable.

HV3 HV-3B, HV-3C (B with Apogee) all had flat panels. Current HV-3C has curved panel and gloss finish.

No manuals are available. Gain went in 5dB steps.

Regards,

Joel
Old 1st July 2009
KAB
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempesax View Post
I followed KAB's advice...
Ouch. That was your first mistake.

Seriously, thanks for posting the reply from Millennia.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempesax View Post
Thanks for the input. I followed KAB's advice and emailed Millennia Media and here is what they had to say:

Hi Mark,

The HV3 is really old. That was the first preamp we sold. There is a date on the serial number label.

The preamp circuit itself hasn’t changed over the years, but controls, gain steps, packaging and power supplies have.

The good new is, most of them are still serviceable.

HV3 HV-3B, HV-3C (B with Apogee) all had flat panels. Current HV-3C has curved panel and gloss finish.

No manuals are available. Gain went in 5dB steps.

Regards,

Joel
Old thread, but interesting. I was using my original HV-3 last weekend, and got curious - wrote to Joel asking if they had a manual pdf - he wrote back saying no information... My main question was hoew big are the gain steps, which I find here is 5dB as I thought. But even in 2009, they had no manuals!

Mine still sounds great the few times I need a couple extra channels...

<L>
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search