The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Preamp/EQ/Comp is a good setup, API Lunchbox?
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

What Preamp/EQ/Comp is a good setup, API Lunchbox?

I'm trying to figure out what outboard gear I should buy. I have a FMR RNC and plan to get a Distressor in the future but not yet. I was thinking about possibly getting a API lunchbox and put a API 550 eq and 2 512c Preamps ( and possibly the API compressor).

My background is making electronic music like Industrial, Big Beat and Techno Rave. But I also want to get into more traditional instruments like bass and 12 string guitars. I want to get some good quality outboard gear to get my vocals and other gear sounding more richer. I like quality gear that is cheaper, but I feel that good outboard gear is the most important part in music setups, so I am willing to pay more for better quality gear.

Although right now I don't want to spend anymore than 3000. I noticed the AMEK Purepath are fairly reasonably priced for what it offers, a Preamp/Eq/comp all in one. Although I'm not sure how good those are.

Any suggestions on what to get? I'm not looking for a all-in-one box, so combinations of gear is nice also, but then there is my price limit to deal with.

Nick
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

API is awesome stuff. If you go API though, you might want to look for the older modules. I've heard they have a little bit of an edge on the newer stuff. But here's another idea. I am a huge fan of the Brent Averill stuff. He has lunch boxes and 312 pres as well as the Avedis EQs. Those things are the hot tip! Those E15s don't have a bad frequency on them and they are agressive as hell. The frequencies are actually ones that were suggested to him by people who have been cutting and mixing hit records for years. Hands down the best value going, IMHO...

(And no, this is not a paid advertisement, just a more than satisfied customer.)
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I was looking at the Breant Averill 1272 preamp and the BAE312. I've also been considering the Chandler LTD-1 and Great River MEQ-1NV as well. It's a tough decision, but I wanted to get a nice pre and Eq for around the 2300 LTD1 price tag. Then I'd buy two for a stereo pair. A lot people seem to like the Chandler TG-2 preamp a lot. The Vintech X73i looks up to par as well.

Do you know how good the LTD-1 Eq section is?

It really doesn't seem like one could go wrong with any of these. I'm just looking for one with the most character to it.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I used the x73i recently and found the EQ to be quite crappy..horrble top and bottom.. the mid band was ok. I would not buy one but that's just one mans opinion.
Old 8th September 2005
Gear Addict

I don't know how it sounds, but vintech always looked a little cheesey to me.
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Funny , I thought they looked like they were buildt like tanks. Vintage and classy. One man's ceiling....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search