The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
8240 or 8040
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

8240 or 8040

I'm finally retiring my KRK V6's and picking up some new Genelec's this week. I can't decide if I should spring for the 8240's or just go with the 8040's.

On one hand the DSP would be a nice addition to my room treatment, but perhaps in the future there will be better 3rd party DSP that doesn't require me to be married to a 2nd set of DA in my monitor chain?
Old 29th June 2009

Get the 8240's if you can swing it.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Get the 8240's if you can swing it.

Thanks Tony. You don't think the extra DA is an issue? As I understand it, you can't get around them even if you use the analogue ins.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

I owned 8040's and demoed both 8240's and 8250's.
Ultimately I preferred the 8250's completely flat which makes them just plain old 8050's. Ended up finding a killer deal on used 8050's.
The low end extension on the 50's is worth the extra $$ over the 40's imho.

The digital processing on the 82xx series did do what they claim. But to my ears it is still eq compensating for the room and that doesn't work for my ears.
Could be that I'm old now and have spent my life in less than optimal rooms (aren't most all of them?). So I'm old school.
Treat the room. Tweek the placement of your monitors. and get to work.

8050's are floating around used for $2K. Killer deal for a great speaker in that price range.
Old 2nd July 2009
Here for the gear

It all depends on your room acoustics, if you find some frequencies in your room that you can't "equalize" with acoustic panels and they are bad enough then get 8240's. 8050's just have more low end. Great speakers both.
Old 13th July 2009
Here for the gear

I used to have 8050's and just purchased 8240's. I have not that great acoustics in my room so after AutoCal 8240's sound amazing and so natural. I surely recommend 8240's over 8040's or 8050's for anyone considering the dsp's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search