The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
old AKG spring reverb
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

old AKG spring reverb

Anyone use the old AKG spring [?] reverb? Ive got a friend with one, wants to get rid of it. Is it of any use at all?

best
Sean
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Which one? BX-5, 10, 15 or 20?

BX-10 and up are all pretty nice, IMO.

-dave
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G
Which one? BX-5, 10, 15 or 20?

BX-10 and up are all pretty nice, IMO.

-dave

great question...
he said it was tall wood box, with chrome akg logo.

ill find out.

thanks

Sean
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

I used that one about 8 years ago in a studio i worked in... I got the owner to dig it out. First up, these things are MASSIVE and HEAVY. Second, they sound like expensive spring reverb... I love the twang of springs, a lot of people hated them (especialy when it was the only option), but these days, for my money, they sound SO different from anything else, a cool thing, especialy for dub or any of that type of music. And when you rock the AKG, you get brilliant stereo thunderclap spring chaos! King Tubby style!
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King
great question...
he said it was tall wood box, with chrome akg logo.
That's going to be a BX-15 or 20 ...

Good boxes.. Take it quick if it's cheap, or give me your friend's number ... I only have 3 good spring reverbs right now.

-dave
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz

I used that one about 8 years ago in a studio i worked in... I got the owner to dig it out. First up, these things are MASSIVE and HEAVY. Second, they sound like expensive spring reverb... I love the twang of springs, a lot of people hated them (especialy when it was the only option), but these days, for my money, they sound SO different from anything else, a cool thing, especialy for dub or any of that type of music. And when you rock the AKG, you get brilliant stereo thunderclap spring chaos! King Tubby style!
Right on!

That looks like whats hes describing.
It looks like a mini fridge.
whats the thing worth?

best
Sean
Old 18th August 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

I have seen them go for between $500-$700 on ebay. That was a while ago when I was looking for one. I did not want to shell out for the crazy shipping charge to the middle of nowhere, which is where I live. I still really want one.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thats the BX-20 all over that... the only reverb on the track, thats me rocking it at the start :-) Sorry the groove is a bit loose on that one, we had a short time to do it and thats the first and only time we all played together...
Attached Files

servents_dub.mp3 (1.53 MB, 4040 views)

Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz
Thats the BX-20 all over that... the only reverb on the track, thats me rocking it at the start :-) Sorry the groove is a bit loose on that one, we had a short time to do it and thats the first and only time we all played together...
Thanks Fellas,
It is in fact a 20.

Ill pick it up monday

thanks again

Sean
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Picked up the giganto box yesterday.
It sounds pretty sweet.
Nice on horns, percussion, clean creepy guitar.
Its not at all what I anticipated. Very dense, dark, very nice.

best
Sean
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear
Thanks for the mp3 7Hz! thumbsup. Just as I imagined a spring might be good on...electric gtrs. Your track has some shades of Grace Jones 'Nightclubbing' if you don't mind me saying so. Could I ask what type of bass you were using?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search