The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brent Averill 1272 Mic Pre-amp Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

Brent Averill 1272 Mic Pre-amp

What do you guys think of these?
Old 18th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcrop
What do you guys think of these?
Yeah, I'm totally curious about it, too. Apparently, people seem to like the job they did on the API 312a, but I haven't got a response to Mike Avedis' eq unit, yet - which I'm also very curoous about. Sorry, I'm on a bit of a tangent, but I'm reiterating your curiousity to the fellow gear sluts here. One guy was slamming all Neve clones.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

If you ask something specific you may get a better response. Like is it as open as a 1073, or does it have more or less color than a Chandler, or do you prefer it on drums to an API 312, etc.

If you just want to know if somebody likes it, save your posts, there will be some who do and some who don't.

Not to mention, doesn't anybody use the search before they post? There's lots on this preamp.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcofan
If you ask something specific you may get a better response. Like is it as open as a 1073, or does it have more or less color than a Chandler, or do you prefer it on drums to an API 312, etc.

If you just want to know if somebody likes it, save your posts, there will be some who do and some who don't.
Thanks for your opinion about what I should type.

I think an appropriate response would have been:

Never tried one of those or, It sounds nothing like a 1272, or It sounds great and it has its own flavor which is, XXXXX or it sounds like crap.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion about what I should type.
Sorry, just seen one too many posts about "will I like this?" without really anything specific. No searching (it would seem), no reference to anything. Nothing personal, just sticking up for the ol' forum.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
I haven't got a response to Mike Avedis' eq unit, yet - which I'm also very curoous about.
Avedis Kifedjian is his name.

I haven't really been blown away by 1272s in any capacity, racked by Averill or otherwise, but that's my own personal opinion. I know people who love them and swear by them. I'm not one of those people. If they're in the rack, I might use them for certain things, but they're pretty much never my first choice in any of the places I work.

I do think the guys at Averill do terrific work. I can say definitely that Avedis' 2520 replacement opamps sound fantastic and he is an extrememly knowledgable and generous guy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry, just seen one too many posts about "will I like this?" without really anything specific. No searching (it would seem), no reference to anything. Nothing personal, just sticking up for the ol' forum.
Its never personal with me...Thanks though. You will be happy to know that I did a search and it turned up quite a bit of yes/nos.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

I can see how you could say that. My BA 1272 pair used to be my main pre along with a Sytek. I have since owned many other pres (incl. Chandler Channel, Chandler LTD-1, BA 312, Peavey VMP-2) but I kept both the BA 1272 and the Sytek because they still get good use.

Where I'd use the 1272s for almost everything in the past I now use them for OHs (w/km184s), guitars and direct keyboards. They are great little beefy pres.

I occasionally entertain the idea of selling the 1272s and buying a very high quality clean pre (Millennia, Hardy, etc.) but I always veto the idea once I think it through. Incidently, I sold BA 312s because I just wasn't using them. I wasn't blown away at the time.

Marlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges

I haven't really been blown away by 1272s in any capacity, racked by Averill or otherwise, but that's my own personal opinion. I know people who love them and swear by them. I'm not one of those people. If they're in the rack, I might use them for certain things, but they're pretty much never my first choice in any of the places I work.

I do think the guys at Averill do terrific work. I can say definitely that Avedis' 2520 replacement opamps sound fantastic and he is an extrememly knowledgable and generous guy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

Well I have one of the Brent Averill 1272s that's made from original 1272 modules. The ones today are reproductions, and I can't comment from personal experience on those. From what I hear, though, everything that comes out of Brent's shop is top quality.

The sound? Well it's brawny. Crank it up and there's a little hair on the tone. It's a dark, full-toned preamp. I also have a Dan Alexander 1272 and that seems a bit cleaner, or a little bit less output. Also gorgeous tone though.

I've used the Brent Averill on drums... kick, snare, overheads... sounds terrific. I like the colored sound it gives -- thick and rich. On bass, it can be clean and deep, or you can dial in a little growl. Same on guitar.

What have I compared it too? The Dan Alexander 1272, a Dan Alexander 31102 (think that's the model, it's not in front of me), an API 512, a UA 6176, and a UA M-610.

I'm by no means an expert -- just listing my gear to show my frame of reference. I plan on getting the BA 312s to complement the 512.

best

P
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, mine are the originals as well. Also, before I bought the BAs I had a single channel of the Dan Alexander "1272". It has a similar sound but different. I like them equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropete
Well I have one of the Brent Averill 1272s that's made from original 1272 modules. The ones today are reproductions, and I can't comment from personal experience on those. From what I hear, though, everything that comes out of Brent's shop is top quality.

What have I compared it too? The Dan Alexander 1272, a Dan Alexander 31102 (think that's the model, it's not in front of me), an API 512, a UA 6176, and a UA M-610.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear
1290 1272

According to Neve Guru Geoff Tanner, the 1290 is the pre in the 1073. The 1272 was a summing amp in Neve boards. The 1290 has 3 gain stages and the 1272 2 stages. They both sound very much the same up to a point around 45 db, then the character changes.

Many engineers like 1272's as well as the 1290.
Old 18th August 2005
I liked mine enough to keep it since 1999. But all the controversy about the fact of it not being like a 1073, or a 'real Neve', yada yada...it comes down to this...the BAE 1272, the Vintech stuff, the Chandler Neve, etc is all pro gear that has a similar sound by about 80%. The extra 20% variation between these units doesn't make any of them better or worse, but subjectively more usable in certain situations. I like each one in specific places, and on certain sources I could just flip a coin.
Old 19th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the response, Chris. I found Avedis to be extremely knowledgeable and generous, as well. Haven't tried the 2520s, yet. I might just have to now. Thanks, again.
Old 27th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hi,

I'm buying a single channel one of these Brent Averill 1272s. The seller says it a pre-2002 unit containing an actual original Neve 1272 card. Does anyone know if there is a way I can confirm the authenticity of its Neve-ness by physically inspecting the unit?

Anyone know anything about this?

- proxy
Old 27th August 2005
Gear Nut

I'm sure Brent does. Call and ask.
Old 27th August 2005
Lives for gear

I guess I'm not used to being able to have that kind of direct access, but I have heard that their support is excellent - I will try that. Thank you for leading me to what was right under my nose.

- proxy
Old 27th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy
I guess I'm not used to being able to have that kind of direct access, but I have heard that their support is excellent - I will try that. Thank you for leading me to what was right under my nose.

- proxy
You may also talk to Avedis - he's a super cool guy!!

His eq is listed at the site, as well as one or two other pieces with mods he's done, if I recall correctly.
Old 27th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have 3 stereo BA1272 units and use them everyday. Depends on what you like/dislike so you should see if you can try it out at one of your neighboring studios if possible.....
Old 27th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:

Not to mention, doesn't anybody use the search before they post? There's lots on this preamp.

It's good to post the same questions again, some peoples opinions changes through time and experience and can post their new findings, new members can post new opinions about the same topic, etc.

I'd like to know out of all the 1272 clones, where does this unit rank against the rest of them in regards to size and warmth.
Old 27th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy
Hi,

I'm buying a single channel one of these Brent Averill 1272s. The seller says it a pre-2002 unit containing an actual original Neve 1272 card. Does anyone know if there is a way I can confirm the authenticity of its Neve-ness by physically inspecting the unit?

Anyone know anything about this?

- proxy
I have an old BA 1272 and you can tell they are Neve's by the Neve serial number on the back if it's an orginal Neve ... or look inside the pre amp you will know as they look pretty old to me. Ask For pics.
Old 27th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist
I have 3 stereo BA1272 units and use them everyday. Depends on what you like/dislike so you should see if you can try it out at one of your neighboring studios if possible.....
Do you use your 1272s for everything, or specific instruments, dynamics and frequencies, music? How do you prefer to use them? Do you have other pres that you prefer for, say, lead vocal tracking?

I'm only asking because the info available here at GS (and elsewhere) states that the original 1272 was never intended to be used as a mic pre amp - it's a line pre, so is therefore missing the (3rd) mic pre gainstage. Has BA added that gainstage?, I guess they must've. And if so, what components are they using? I guess I'll just ask Avedis about that.

However, the 1272, also obviously doesn't have the 1073 eq, which is the SOUND I presume a lot of folks might be going for.

Any other reason to buy a 1272, in particular? Other than your ears - which are alway the best reason!! And they're certainly cheaper than 1073s,1081s,1084s, etc.

Holla back, yo.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks TRS, MPCist, Sqye,

I'll call BA on monday and confirm serial #, etc.

I got this BA because I needed a single channel (for pop-rock) to track amped guitars, maybe some bass (DI or amped) and some background vocals [I do main vocals at another studio that has more selection]. I can't really afford a TG2 or an Aurora right now which seem like interesting choices on the next plateau, but I've heard that the 1272 is often used for those types of tracks, and I figured it was a good place to start.

I've read up on the third gain-stage and what it imparts, but this unit was in my budget and I've been dying to see what a Neve is like. FWIW, my only pre is an Avalon737sp, which has been useful, but I think it's time to explore some other colors.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post my opinion when I get it if people are interested.

- proxy
Old 28th August 2005
Gear Guru

I have a pair of BA 1272's, Chandler TG2, API 3124 and a Daking.

The Brent Averills are the most used. I'd call it my standard.

There is nothing that there not good for.

Probably the only pre I have that I wouldn't mind using on everything.
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
Do you use your 1272s for everything, or specific instruments, dynamics and frequencies, music? How do you prefer to use them? Do you have other pres that you prefer for, say, lead vocal tracking?
Thanks
i tend to use a pair of 1272's (original neve's) as make up gain on my folcrom. thickens the sound up nicely, makes it more solid.

1272's are also great for distorting lead vocals, then EQ'ing out all low end and mixing the dist back in under the original vocal - can really add a nice bite/presence to a rock vocal.

i've had my pair for 9 years and i've used them (and loved them) on pretty much anything.

BBB
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

I use them for vocals at times but for tracking MIDI gear mostly. I KNOW that there is info on the net stating the original 1272 wasn't intended for a mic pre but I follow my ears. There are so many 'experts' on the net with all kinds of advice... but keep in mind that you gotta just follow your ears. If you like it, then that's all that matters.

It's my opinion that since some of the technical advances were NOT created specifically for recording/mixing but for other 'broader uses' such as military and broadcast use, we should be not so 'purist' in thought but rather pursue whatever methods can improve our sound.

If it sounds good, I'll use it and wouldn't care if it's a Manley LA2A or one of the old LA2A's or one of the new UA ones. If it can give me a sound I can work with, I'll give it a try and if I like it, I'll just keep it. I don't care what is cheaper or more expensive or what is an accurate copy of an old design or......
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Try a search for Geoff Tanner here...he lays out pretty well the controversy with 1272 vs. 1073, going on to say that Neve would have likely done what Tim at Seventh Circle did, if he'd purposed the 1272 as a mic amp.

Yes, the 1272 lacks the third gain stage. I've never heard the 1073, but the SCA 1272 clone I have sounds amazing. One thing to keep in mind that Neve's true artistry is transformers (his first pursuit as a Electrical Engineer, to pay the bills), and that any Neve-style pre is going to get much of its sound from that design. The 1272, 1073, et. al.

Considering that 1073 and clones are going to set you back twice the 1272 price per channel, I dunno. Personally, I'd rather that the extra grand and put into an altogether different flavor (from my experience, API-style).

I don't think you can go wrong doing business with BA either. Not at all...

Just more food for thought...

kb
Old 7th September 2005
Gear Addict

This might be too simple an answer, but mine says "Made From Neve 1272 Module" right in the front of the unit, the ones on the BAE Website just say "Made From 1272 Module"- so I'm guessing if it doesn't say Neve on it, it's a replica.

-Mike
Old 28th September 2005
Lives for gear

Wow, I just went over to guy's shop and heard the LTD-1. My gawd, I had no Idea. I'd originally gone over thinking I wanted to upgrade the U195 to a U99 or E250. Honestly, they were all not so completely different that I felting justified dropping a grand plus trade on any of them, actually.

As I was getting ready to go, I asked If I could listen to the Chandler ltd-1. For the first two gain stages, w/o eq it sounded really close to my SCA N72. But then I started playing with the eq and the third gain stage and...whoa. I sat there playing with the eq (acoustic guitar), then thought I may as well a/b it to the un-eq'd sound...it was like playing through a wool blanket. The third gain stage added a nice coloration in the high mids, subtle bite that didn't resonate badly or ring. I can only imagine how badass this thing would sound on vocals and bass! So yeah, IMHO you can hear the third gain stage. A lot. And, as you already knew, the Waves eq's are anemic and flat compared to the nice bloom you get adding a little hi sheen with the eq.

Well there goes my savings! Must have it!
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Hey guys do you know if these are only 300 ohm. The original one with the metal output trim knob ? Thanks
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

More than likely the input impedance is wired for 1200 Ohms. If you wanted to do 300 you would just need to wire the primary in parallel. Keep in mind you will also get a +6dB boost depending on the mic you hook up to it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search