The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Xlogic G-comp vs Greyface G384 vs Xrack stereo mix bus compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th June 2009
Deleted User
SSL Xlogic G-comp vs Greyface G384 vs Xrack stereo mix bus compressor

Do the newer ones have any mojo?

I ask because I was thinking about free'ing up 2 slots in my xrack for the stereo module. Ive got a greyface but it's a pain in the butt to lug around ... So I don't.

Thought I'd include the xlogic g-comp to round it out.
Old 26th June 2009
The X-Rack module is based on the center section of the Duality whereas the G Compressor (both grey and XLogic are based around the VCA design of the 4000 series center section). They are extremely similar to one another and I would say that you get about 85%-90% of the mojo of the rack units with the X-Rack Bus Compressor module. The nice thing is you get Total Recall on your bus compressor when using the X-Rack module, however you do not get auto-fade.
Old 26th June 2009
Deleted User
Thanks a lot Josh. Hope your move to LA went well.

So the xrack bus comp in a mynx has the glue? Can you talk about this a little bit and what differences one might hear?

Does the xlogic g-comp have the 202 vca? If so, how many?

How did the greyface evolve over the years?
Old 27th June 2009
Deleted User
Forgot about this puppy ...

* SSL XLogic Multichannel Compressor six-channel compressor

Anyone looking at SSL on the mix bus (or any bus for that matter) is going to be wondering how these compressors compare. Especially with the magical FXg384.
Old 27th June 2009
Solid State Logic

They are all exactly the same circuit design.

Lots and lots and lots of posts about this. "search" is a wonderful thing
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

@Jim

What is the autofade function?
Old 28th June 2009
Deleted User
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Jim!

Considering how many times GS has gone over neve mic preamp ad nauseam, I thought one thread dedicated to comparing genuine SSL mix bus comps wasnt a big deal.

But youre right, in a few threads with different topics some of this was covered. I'll glean what I can and compile here. Others can editorialize to their heart's content, or not.

Better yet, lets talk about the 1073 or api 2500 instead ... ; P
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

I like the gray XLogic 384 with the dbx VCA chip. That's the version that made the SSL "smack" famous.
Old 28th June 2009
Deleted User
There must be a ghost in your machine because I just heard that they are all the same .... Just different prom dresses.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
There must be a ghost in your machine because I jusst heard theyre all the same .... Just different prom dresses.
No ghost. They are not all the same.

Same circuit? Yes. Same VCA chip? Since about 1999, yes. But before that, the original 384 from '89 to about '98 or '99 had the dbx VCA engine, which I think was called the 202. After that they went to the THAT VCA. The last gray ones and the newer white XL one have the THAT.

Even some of the older 384s have the THAT, because they were "upgraded" by SSL when they were sent in for service.

But the older dbx-chipped ones are a hair slower, dirtier and lower-fi; they have that little bit more harmonic distrortion that smacked thousands of hit songs in the '80s and '90s.
Old 28th June 2009
Deleted User
What year did they discontinue the grey-face? If the enclosure is opened is it possible to see whether there is a 202 or THAT?
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
What year did they discontinue the grey-face? If the enclosure is opened is it possible to see whether there is a 202 or THAT?
They stopped the gray 384 in.. 2003 I'd say, replacing it with the X-Logic G Compressor. At that time, yes, all they were doing was changing the cosmetics. Everything inside the same.

If you open a 384 you can clearly see the VCA module and if it's a DBX or not. I can't remember what it looks like but I think it was gold in color. Might be wrong though. But it says dbx on it.
Old 28th June 2009
Deleted User
Thanks Drew ; D

Do you know if the VCA chip is easily replaced? I've seen 202's for sale ....
Old 29th June 2009
Deleted User
I opened up my G384 to answer my own question ...

For posterity:
My finger is pointing at the VCA. Looks like it would be VERY easy to replace.

I'm keen on picking up the Xrack mix bus compressor because my greyface really kicks ass on the mix bus. I use my API 2500 on drums...drums that I mix with an API 8200a and an xrack loaded with 4 k and 4 E series dynamics on the insert points.

Anyone else want to talk about a pair of the SSL boxes in their studio and how they compare?
Attached Thumbnails
SSL Xlogic G-comp vs Greyface G384 vs Xrack stereo mix bus compressor-dsc03013.jpg   SSL Xlogic G-comp vs Greyface G384 vs Xrack stereo mix bus compressor-dsc03023.jpg  
Old 29th June 2009
Solid State Logic

SSL G-series comp vs SSL G384

Solid State Logic - XLogic 384 G-Series vs smart c2

XLogic X-Rack Stereo Bus Compressor Module - any users?

Which ssl g384 i got?

and particularly this one
SSl Fx384

Sorry, but I get really really bored answering the same old questions about this. Maybe I should just set up a template and copy/paste every time it comes up.

rant mode off...
Old 29th June 2009
Deleted User
Getting bored? Really. I am amazed by your attitude. Quite a public face for SSL. I was just setting up an appointment with a sales rep here in nyc to demo your Xdesk, but now I'm put off. And for the record, no one asked you in particular to chime in here. If you are bored, then you should change the channel.

So those were the few threads that were more punching matches between a kittonian and a few competitors.

YES, there was some useful information to be gleaned from those particular threads. However, it was technical information, more objective than subjective.

I was hoping that users who have had the chance to use any combination of these compressors side-by-side might offer their persepctives and experience.

Technically your information is interesting. However, because there is a certain conflict of interest, your opinion (and kittonian's) must be taken with reservations.
Old 29th June 2009
Quote:
However, because there is a certain conflict of interest, your opinion (and kittonian's) must be taken with reservations.
Conflict of interest? There's no conflict of interest regarding me. Regardless of whether or not we happen to carry a certain product line, I'll give you the honest answer every time.

The reality is that the FX384 was slightly grittier than the latest X-Rack module. The real reason SSL switched to the XLogic G Compressor from the older grey face model was due to Euro emission standards regarding the use of lead (at least this is how it's been explained to me). This is the same reason support for the 4000 series console has been discontinued.

The reality is that unless you use a 4000 series console with the center section compressor and do your entire mix through that board, you'll never have "exactly the same sound as the console". However, the FX384 is probably within 1% or 2% of the XLogic G Compressor, regardless of whether the DBX or THAT VCA is being used. The XLogic line uses the SuperAnalogue technology and thus recapping becomes something you rarely have to consider years down the line.

Both the FX384 grey face and the XLogic G Compressor are the way to go in my opinion because they most closely resemble the center section of the famous 4000 series console. However, the X-Rack module is about 10% cleaner than its' rack counterparts and is instead based off of the center section of the Duality console. Regardless of which one you choose, I have a feeling you'll be very happy. It's only when you put all three up side-by-side that you can really tell the differences.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Why is Jim saying that the Xrack and 1 RU rack model are exactly the same then? (I;m not taking about the old grey face with the older VCA).
Old 29th June 2009
Quote:
Getting bored? Really. I am amazed by your attitude. Quite a public face for SSL. I was just setting up an appointment with a sales rep here in nyc to demo your Xdesk, but now I'm put off. And for the record, no one asked you in particular to chime in here. If you are bored, then you should change the channel.

So those were the few threads that were more punching matches between a kittonian and a few competitors.

YES, there was some useful information to be gleened from those particular threads. However, it was technical information, more objective than subjective.

I was hoping that users who have had the chance to use any combination of these compressors side-by-side might offer their persepctives and experience.

Technically your information is interesting. However, because there is a certain conflict of interest, your opinion (and kittonian's) must be taken with reservations.
I don't feel that any spite you are giving to Jim is warranted. You speak as if he is somehow trespassing on your thread or something. Jim's position at SSL, I'm sure, forces him to restrain himself from telling you exactly what he thinks. His comments were self-directed and I appreciate Jim participating in GearSlutz not only as a representative of SSL, but as a person, who should be able to call it as he sees it, just like the rest of us. We know who he works for, it is our responsibility to filter the information accordingly.
Old 29th June 2009
Deleted User
I do appreciate Jim's participation on the board ... A LOT! He has been helpful to me personally and I am always eager to read what he has to say.

However, if you look at his posts within this thread they are laced with disdain. Professionally, I found this bizarre. The last thing that I would do at my business is ridicule customers for asking stupid questions : D

And, what I meant by "changing the channel" is ... why bother even tuning in if the program is so boring and so mundane? Just ignore it.

Jim, I am sorry for publicly voicing my reservations. I'll keep them to myself next time. Maybe you can do the same? Just send me a private PM telling me how stupid my post is next time. Same courtesy right?

I'm outta here.
Old 30th June 2009
Solid State Logic

I did send you a PM.

Friends?
Old 30th June 2009
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Why is Jim saying that the Xrack and 1 RU rack model are exactly the same then? (I;m not taking about the old grey face with the older VCA).
Check my posts. I said that they were the same circuit design. There are small differences in components.

While Josh from Audiolot is a great supporter of SSL, he doesn't have access to the technical resources that we do here at SSL HQ. The change from the FX384 was nothing to do with solder. It was to do with the availability of the VCA. The later FX384s did not have the DBX chip in them, and the change to the XLogic model was mainly cosmetic from the last few "greyfaces".

The absolute differences between the X-Rack module and the 1u rack unit are:
extra ratio settings on the module (1.5:1, 3:1, and 5:1 added)
true stereo sidechain on the module
no autofade on the module
Circuit design remains the same.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Gotcha.

Funny, I had a rack version and got rid of it when I bought the xrack. I didn't even notice the extra ratio's!!!

Talk about being a creature of habit...
Old 30th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Check my posts. I said that they were the same circuit design. There are small differences in components.

While Josh from Audiolot is a great supporter of SSL, he doesn't have access to the technical resources that we do here at SSL HQ. The change from the FX384 was nothing to do with solder. It was to do with the availability of the VCA. The later FX384s did not have the DBX chip in them, and the change to the XLogic model was mainly cosmetic from the last few "greyfaces".

The absolute differences between the X-Rack module and the 1u rack unit are:
extra ratio settings on the module (1.5:1, 3:1, and 5:1 added)
true stereo sidechain on the module
no autofade on the module
Circuit design remains the same.
Thanks for clearing that up Jim, however I'm a bit confused because both Fadi and I have done a comparison between the X-Rack module and the 1U rack XLogic G Compressor and both of us preferred the 1U rack version because we both agreed it was a tiny bit more "vibey". We also both agreed that the XRack module version was slightly cleaner but within about 10% of the XLogic Rack unit.
Old 30th June 2009
Deleted User
iphones have cut and paste now!

Josh, you wrote:
We also both agreed that the XRack version was slightly cleaner but within about 10% of the XRack module.

Did you mean within 10% of the 1u rack module?
Old 30th June 2009
Quote:
iphones have cut and paste now!

Josh, you wrote:
We also both agreed that the XRack version was slightly cleaner but within about 10% of the XRack module.

Did you mean within 10% of the 1u rack module?
I sure did and adjusted my last post. Thanks for the correction. Sometimes I just type too darn fast.
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

Well I just have to say I love my 1U racked SSL Xlogic Buss compressor. Been tempted to buy an old Grey Face from all the hype. Guys who own it swear that its better than the new. I really can't believe "better". But I can believe "different".

My SSL was one of few chosen bus comps that I kept in my studio after A/B testing some of the top names/brands in mix bus compression. Its just awesome and I used it alot.

As far as exactly the same. That isn't correct depending which grey version you have as stated. The VCAs are different on some of the old grey faces from what I can seen with my own eyes in the gut department. But majority of it is the same. DBX (red wine) or THAT (white wine). What do you like?

After using alot of old DBX comps with the old VCAs, I wasn't too impressed when I compared some of the later built Dbx comps with THAT vcas. The THAT chips just sound better to me. Just sounds cleaner and more modern (meaning there is no dirt, or lack of clarity from the lowest Hz to the highest KhZ in comparison.). Just sounds clearer.

I guess if you like rolled off highs and that old bass bump in old gear. Then the old grey is for you. I really don't like my mix bus comp changing the sound or color so much. I just want it to glue and compress 2-3dbs. If it enhances...thats good too.
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

Here's an IDEA

SSL should make a Console emulator box. Push a button, and you got the 4000 vibe added in the chain, or the 9000 console, or the duality..Plug into to it and get that console vibe. Just like what McDsp did with the AC1 console emulator plug in but make it hardware that is analog based. Just like Guitar Amp emulators. But use analog modeling technology instead of 1s and 0s.. digital.

That would be interested if SSL could nail it 99.9%
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
SSL should make a Console emulator box. Push a button, and you got the 4000 vibe added in the chain, or the 9000 console, or the duality..Plug into to it and get that console vibe. Just like what McDsp did with the AC1 console emulator plug in but make it hardware that is analog based. Just like Guitar Amp emulators. But use analog modeling technology instead of 1s and 0s.. digital.

That would be interested if SSL could nail it 99.9%
Whoa! I dreamt I was at a NAMM show and digi,....er AVID was showing a new HD system. In combination with the new Accel+ cards which were 10 times more powerful per card (hey its my dream). They also had these modules that modeled analog technology at a push of the mouse! The entire Pro Tools Mixer would become an SSL, Neve, API or Harrison. It was awesome!!! Then I was awakened by my dog barking to go on his walk!!!

Been reading too much GS and spending way too much time in the studio when I am dreaming about trade shows and phantom gear.heh
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louiseven View Post
Whoa! I dreamt I was at a NAMM show and digi,....er AVID was showing a new HD system. In combination with the new Accel+ cards which were 10 times more powerful per card (hey its my dream). They also had these modules that modeled analog technology at a push of the mouse! The entire Pro Tools Mixer would become an SSL, Neve, API or Harrison. It was awesome!!! Then I was awakened by my dog barking to go on his walk!!!

Been reading too much GS and spending way too much time in the studio when I am dreaming about trade shows and phantom gear.heh

Nice Dream. It could happen one day in the future..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search