The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Xlogic G-comp vs Greyface G384 vs Xrack stereo mix bus compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Well I just have to say I love my 1U racked SSL Xlogic Buss compressor. Been tempted to buy an old Grey Face from all the hype. Guys who own it swear that its better than the new. I really can't believe "better". But I can believe "different".

My SSL was one of few chosen bus comps that I kept in my studio after A/B testing some of the top names/brands in mix bus compression. Its just awesome and I used it alot.

I guess if you like rolled off highs and that old bass bump in old gear. Then the old grey is for you. I really don't like my mix bus comp changing the sound or color so much. I just want it to glue and compress 2-3dbs. If it enhances...thats good too.
Different is correct. When they went to the THAT VCA in '99 or whenever it was, it was because it sounded cleaner /clearer. It has a better distortion spec. Plus, the current generation G-Comps are available every day brand new from SSL. Old ones are hard to find and expensive. People hold on to them like gold.

Having said that, I worked in a studio for years that got the original G384 when it first came out in '89. It cost a fortune. We ran all our mixes through that baby and wow, to this day those mixes are among my favorites ever.
Old 26th October 2009
Deleted User
I've had both the xdesk and mynx with bus comp here for a little while doing tests, comparisons and staring contests.

So far: the xdesk is clean like the xrack summing that I previously had. The speck xtramix was the same class of clean. Very little difference when side by side with my midas 320.

My grayface sounds practically identical to the Mynx with bus comp.

I would feel confident using an xrack summing system with a bus comp. One rack can offer 24 channels of individual summing (4 4line mods, 1 8input) with bus comp. Good solution overall if you have plenty of outboard.
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

Rigged up an old grey face next to an xlogic recently for fun. Set them up so i just flicked a switch to instantly swap between either on a mix. No-one could detect any real difference.
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Rigged up an old grey face next to an xlogic recently for fun. Set them up so i just flicked a switch to instantly swap between either on a mix. No-one could detect any real difference.
Which VCA is in the old grey? It might have a THAT in it.
Old 28th October 2009
Lives for gear

+2 Yea it really depends on the VCA. If it has the DBX vca. It should sound slightly different. I am assume you guys flicked the Xlogic and Greyface with the "THAT" vca's...
Old 28th October 2009
Deleted User
Yes. And it sounds great. I like it a lot on the mix bus. Somewhere between 2-5db usually does it. It has this super nice midrange crunch thing that just sounds right.... on rock and dance at least. It's full bodied and yet concise. That is, it tightens it up in a way that doesn't take away from what you accomplished with the mix.
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Head

greyface

So trash
If you wanted to sell your grey face let me know..been looking for one for awhile..both that and the smart c1 seem to be the go for me..let me know if you or anyone has one ready to unload?

thanks

BA
Old 10th December 2009
Deleted User
Sure! I have not plans to sell though ... maybe my api 2500 tho
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

From what I've heard the X-Rack version sounds more like the 1U G comp than any of the "clones" do, but it does not sound absolutely identical.

Why would you want an X-rack though? It means you can't sell the thing freely, and if you did want an X-Rack for some reason, wouldn't you want all 8 channels for EQ or channel compression? What would the other 6 channels do? Why would you want those modules anyway? Or where would you stow a Mynx and why? And...

Well I think the 1U G Bus Compressor is the only remaining product of lasting value from them. The Alphalink and MADI Xtreme cards are good value too for today.
Old 10th December 2009
Deleted User
An xrack with bus comp, master module, 1 8-input module and 4 4-input modules is a fierce mixer for sure.

The mynx with bus comp is handy in terms of size. You could throw the mynx in your bag while on the road.

Because the master module has a stereo ext input, I think the mynx with master module is quite a killer monitoring solution. You get 4 stereo outputs, ssl summing amp etc
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
An xrack with bus comp, master module, 1 8-input module and 4 4-input modules is a fierce mixer for sure.

The mynx with bus comp is handy in terms of size. You could throw the mynx in your bag while on the road.

Because the master module has a stereo ext input, I think the mynx with master module is quite a killer monitoring solution. You get 4 stereo outputs, ssl summing amp etc
If size is an absolute constraint there can be no compromise over, then OK...but I fail to see why you would want an analog summing device in such a small format...sum digitally on a laptop with a small interface if you need to minimize size so badly.

Compare your mixer rack with an X-Desk or two and the 1U bus compressor... with X-Desk you get far better ergonomics, sends, etc....for far less money and a far easier resale.

Sticking an X-rack full of EQs between your X-desk and bus comp would be cool, you're sorted in 12U...but that option is just too expensive to justify for so few channels. Most of their products are like this...half-powered and double-priced. The 1U bus comp and the Alphalink succeed though.
Old 11th December 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
If size is an absolute constraint there can be no compromise over, then OK...but I fail to see why you would want an analog summing device in such a small format...sum digitally on a laptop with a small interface if you need to minimize size so badly.
I did write that I was talking about the mix bus compressor for the small size Mynx. That's a prett powerful compressor in a small format for gigs. That or the portico ... or RNC. But I'd personally rather have the Mynx with mix bus compressor than the RNC.

What I was talking about was the Mynx with a Monitor card. Just the monitor card and just a mynx. Quite a nice monitoring solution. You can bring in your 2bus on the external input and go to town with this setup. Because of the 4 stereo outputs, I can drive my mixdown deck, my monitors, my loudspeakers and also a cue sytem. There is even a headphone jack for me on the front of the card. Pretty sweet!

Quote:
Compare your mixer rack with an X-Desk or two and the 1U bus compressor... with X-Desk you get far better ergonomics, sends, etc....for far less money and a far easier resale.
In my view and for my use, the Xrack summing setup is superior because of the total recall and ability to integrate the rec bus from other xracks. It's just a monster setup. It also specs a little bit better than the xdesk.

Honestly, I would never lay out this kind of money while thinking about the resale value. I get your idea though. But I'm not going to pass up something that works for me because I might not get as much for it, should I ever need to sell it.

Quote:
Sticking an X-rack full of EQs between your X-desk and bus comp would be cool, you're sorted in 12U...but that option is just too expensive to justify for so few channels. Most of their products are like this...half-powered and double-priced. The 1U bus comp and the Alphalink succeed though.
The xrack gear is too expensive to buy new. I bought mine second hand. Second hand it's a good deal.

I've seen a 26 channel xrack mixer system go for $5200. That's not too bad a deal really ... even when compared to a Speck Xtramix.
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Not looking to revive too much old history but can someone confirm the exact iterations of the G compressor again....
1. SSL FX G384 gray face with DBX Gold Can (discontinued in 1999?)
2. SSL FX G384 with gray face, THAT VCA... ?? Did this exist until 2003?
3. SSL xLogic (sold today)
4. SSL Mynx box and other 500 series
Am I missing something or confused here? Apologies if so.
Thx

Last edited by CJ1973; 26th April 2016 at 09:48 PM..
Old 26th January 2019
Another thumbs up on the Grey Face FX G384, hands down... The new stuff sounds like plastic and feels like it too... (I purchased all the 500 Series SSL Products minus the Mic Pre and Returned it all...)Though I’ve been trying to troubleshoot my Grey Face for weeks, and good luck getting help or even schematics on your own comp from SSL.

It’s like when a great, classic band wants to play you, and sell you, their new songs.... When all their new songs, are not the ones you want to hear, and are just watered down versions of the classics.

All these great brands, just resting on their laurels...And sadly not innovating, just adding filler until they become irrelevant.

My Grey Face has THAT 2002T “Bricks” ... Bricks beat chips IMO, A/B-ed them side by side in the Grey Face and VS a 500 Series G-Comp... No contest for me. Haven’t tested the DBX version, but Stam Audio and their SA-4000 MK2 is supposed to have a good reproduction of that classic SSL Bus Comp you can’t even get from SSL anymore.

Looking forward to trying that if I continue not to be able to get help or support from SSL with mine.

If Any Grey Face Lovers Have Experience Troubleshooting It, Please Check Out My Post
I’m Diagnosing SSL Compressor Issues - Please Advise (SSL, GSSL,etc. Rack Compressor)

Cheers,

- Sean Ryder Williams
Attached Thumbnails
SSL Xlogic G-comp vs Greyface G384 vs Xrack stereo mix bus compressor-4bd0dbe6-ccdc-4700-b492-1ef2b4b50f4b.jpg  
Old 26th January 2019
I cannot comment on the 500 series which has a different power supply than the X Rack. I also cannot comment on the Black series SSL as I only have the Silver modules EQs, dynamics, as well as the 2 bus compressor. I will tell you that they don't sound like plastic and the 2 bus compressor absolutely kicks ass on the 2 bus. Punchy, clean, and added excitement. If I ever want a 2 bus with character, I will use more Portico 5043. I also compared my X Rack 2 bus compressor to the one in a SSL 948, and they sounded the same when A/B.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search