(3) LaChapell 583S 500

(4) GML 8300 series

(5) summit Audio TPA-200B

(6) A Designs MP-2A

(7) TL Audio Ivory 2 series 5052

(8) Presonus ADL 600

(9) Summit Audio MPC-100A

your suggestions are appreciated

please help im not familiar with mic pre or mics.
Want to buy best tube mic pre
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Addict

mercury V76 is my favourite

Oli
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

3 fantastic tube mic amps:

Thermionic Culture Earlybird 1.2
D.W. Fearn VT-1 and VT-2
EAR 824

The first two have an audible "tube sound" quality.
The EAR is very clean with little tube sound.

All have very high headroom. For example, the Earlybird offers +32dB peak output.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

oops
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Electronaut m63!!!

Presonus ADL 600

Pendulum MDP-1

all of which I have used..amazing.

hamptone HVT-p2(really gorgeous, euphonic sound..will stand with anything out there at 600 bucks(for the kit)..8-900 for the assembled version

Hamptone Home Page
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Nut

Summit Audio MPC-100A

what else...

Last edited by mikevsmike; 27th June 2009 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Now that I've got my reading glasses on (and can see that "tube" there in the thread title :o) I'd still like to suggest adding the GT ViPRE to the list.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I see a lot of non-tube mic pres on these lists.

The GML 8300 series doesn't have tubes.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Manley should be considered too.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Nut

Manley gets my vote. = Smoooooth
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

I think you missed in your list one unit which I believe is better than any of the ones you listed:
Requisite Pal+ mkIII it is one of the best pres I ever heard and very flexible in a very unique way (with full control on negative feedback to the tube) it can go from very transparent hi-fi to dirty and tubby sound . build quality is amazing with very expensive components, not to mention it includes one of the best compressors build in...
when I went and brought in my studio the vintage Neve console I have I got rid slowly from all my outboard pres, the only I left which I can't do without is the Requisite and DACS
the down side: it is probably much more expensive than anything on your list and usually there is few month of waiting list as Danny build each unit himself...
Old 27th June 2009
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrated View Post
vote mic pre with tube

(4) GML 8300 series

please help im not familiar with mic pre or mics.
Want to buy best tube mic pre
You should get the 8300 and put tubes around it.

You're obviously not familiar with any of these pre's and looking for some kind of GS fashion statement.

Try the 8300, it doesn't have tubes but then you'll actually learn how to engineer without being able to blame or praise hardware for your successes or failures.

From there start to learn about the textures you can achieve with different colors of mic pres [like by actually trying them, not by running a GS popularity contest] and learn the different ways you can achieve different textures with different tools.

There is no "best" anything... there is only "the best for your sense of aesthetic in a specific application as it relates to your world"... which none of the people who will respond to this thread will know about [your world that is], and few if any who respond to this thread will actually give a **** about "your world" but will do their level best to legitimize either the purchases they have made or the products they pimp.

Educating yourself is the best defense to horse****... start with the 8300 and you'll at least have a solid base to judge all other products.

Peace.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
You should get the 8300 and put tubes around it.

You're obviously not familiar with any of these pre's and looking for some kind of GS fashion statement.

Try the 8300, it doesn't have tubes but then you'll actually learn how to engineer without being able to blame or praise hardware for your successes or failures.

From there start to learn about the textures you can achieve with different colors of mic pres [like by actually trying them, not by running a GS popularity contest] and learn the different ways you can achieve different textures with different tools.

There is no "best" anything... there is only "the best for your sense of aesthetic in a specific application as it relates to your world"... which none of the people who will respond to this thread will know about [your world that is], and few if any who respond to this thread will actually give a **** about "your world" but will do their level best to legitimize either the purchases they have made or the products they pimp.

Educating yourself is the best defense to horse****... start with the 8300 and you'll at least have a solid base to judge all other products.

Peace.

Fletcher, a guy has to start somewhere, right? I mean.. in order to make an initial purchase, one has to know what is available. While I would never stamp my posts with a "best" header, I have enjoyed the models I mentioned.. Knowing what other people enjoy can be helpful..but certainly should not be any grounds upon which to make a purchase. I think a lot of these posts stem from folks simply trying to get a lay of the land as to what is out there.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Neither or these are on the list, but they are the only tube pres I have. UA LA-610 and an old TL Audio C1. I love them both but the UAs rock.
Old 28th June 2009
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
Fletcher, a guy has to start somewhere, right? I mean.. in order to make an initial purchase, one has to know what is available.
That is pretty much my point... try the damn things, figure out which tools work best for your applications and acquire them as you can.

Peace.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Head

Amen Fletcher.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
I think you missed in your list one unit which I believe is better than any of the ones you listed:
Requisite Pal+ mkIII it is one of the best pres I ever heard and very flexible in a very unique way (with full control on negative feedback to the tube) it can go from very transparent hi-fi to dirty and tubby sound . build quality is amazing with very expensive components, not to mention it includes one of the best compressors build in...
Yea but good luck getting one. When I called Danny he said he only builds 10 a year and his quota is done for this year. Also said it is impossible for me to be able to "test" his gear due to this same hand built issue. I understand though.

But DAMN,,, I AGREE -- should be on the list, and I want one or two or more !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The GML 8300 series doesn't have tubes.
I was going to say this myself. BUT I say to the OP- it don't matter -- Try it, GML is one of the best sounding manufactures I heard. (one of)

-------------------------------------

TO address the real question from the OP - Out of your list, I vote GML.
But I recommend to try Pres from- D.W. FERN, Aurora, and Pendulum -- Some have tubes, some don't, it don't matter -- Its the way the circuitry is built and transformers, etc that give it it's sound, and them companies are BAD ASS as far as that... just GREAT sound, period.

BTW, you listed a bunch of Pre's, BUT what Mic are you using ? The title kinda made it sound like you wanted to know what Pre with what mic recommendations... But I don't see that in the list, or what others are posting about, so.. I ask.... What Mic(s) would this pre be for ? Or do you need a Mic too ? And want us to recommend that for you as well ?
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa View Post
Yea but good luck getting one. When I called Danny he said he only builds 10 a year and his quota is done for this year. Also said it is impossible for me to be able to "test" his gear due to this same hand built issue. I understand though.

But DAMN,,, I AGREE -- should be on the list, and I want one or two or more !!

I was going to say this myself. BUT I say to the OP- it don't matter -- Try it, GML is one of the best sounding manufactures I heard. (one of)

-------------------------------------

TO address the real question from the OP - Out of your list, I vote GML.
But I recommend to try Pres from- D.W. FERN, Aurora, and Pendulum -- Some have tubes, some don't, it don't matter -- Its the way the circuitry is built and transformers, etc that give it it's sound, and them companies are BAD ASS as far as that... just GREAT sound, period.

BTW, you listed a bunch of Pre's, BUT what Mic are you using ? The title kinda made it sound like you wanted to know what Pre with what mic recommendations... But I don't see that in the list, or what others are posting about, so.. I ask.... What Mic(s) would this pre be for ? Or do you need a Mic too ? And want us to recommend that for you as well ?

Brauner Vma and Neumann's u87
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Tab v76 - the DaDDY
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Try a Manley TNT...one channel of each...Tube or No Tube
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

FWIW

(1) Mercury m72/1 - no experience

(2) LaChapell 992EG 2 - no experience

(3) LaChapell 583S 500 - sounded really nice at the 500 series shootout, but not too "tube-y" to my ears

(4) GML 8300 series - no experience

(5) summit Audio TPA-200B - damn fine box

(6) A Designs MP-2A - no experience

(7) TL Audio Ivory 2 series 5052 - no experience, but I have modded PA-1's. Again, not too "tube-y" but with discreet outs it sounds pretty smooth, I would avoid the Ivory line personally

(8) Presonus ADL 600 - no experience, but never met a Presonus I was happy with

(9) Summit Audio MPC-100A - no experience
Old 30th June 2009
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Try a Manley TNT...one channel of each...Tube or No Tube
IV-I

And if you don't know enough music theory to understand a plagal cadence, learn some before you start thinking about mic pre's!!!
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
IV-I

And if you don't know enough music theory...
Or, one might add, religion.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Electrodyne 201A
Langevin 201A
Langevin 5116
Langevin 5117

these are some of my all time favorites...
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
3 fantastic tube mic amps:
D.W. Fearn VT-1 and VT-2
EAR 824
from tube"est" to cleanest:

D.W. Fearn VT-1 and VT-2
Presonus ADL 600
EAR 824

all awesome tube pres you can´t go wrong with
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Nut

what about Telefunken pre
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Fearn +1
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Blue robbie.
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Maniac

My Vote at this moment should be ADL 600. It's clean with attitude and sit well in the mix. I can hear space with this mic-pre. May be...Rock style user will not like this thing.
Old 4th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by integrated View Post
(1) Mercury m72/1
The Mercury stuff is stupidly [good] rich and creamy, IE has a lot of MOJO. These things are "bone crushingly warm" and dense with a TON of harmonic love, but they remain even sounding with clarity the top. They are really beautiful sounding. The M76/1 DI input can be made to sound like a AMPEG head with a Bass guitar when you slam the output pot into the attenuator. There are some rather cool sounding Fire Bottles and custom transformers in these ruggedly manufactured weapons of total harmonic distortion. These things sound really good, if character and thick, dripping with color and tone, is what you want.

Quote:
The 992EG has a 300 FT NYC FD Ladder of Headroom inside it, I'm convinced. It offers, transparency for the source, yet its refined, sort of HI-FI sounding, more crystalline, and open. Its FULL and really BIG with depth that reaches behind the speakers and to the left and right of the em. The sound is very wide and firm, dense/solid, really balanced throughout. It has what I can describe as warm inviting tone. Its a great unit! Thanx to Scott for building this BOLD machine!

Quote:
See Above! Scott's Stuff Rocks! I used the 583e the other night, for acoustic GTR with a Brauner Valvet in OMNI, and it had this amazing "air" and fast transient punch that made the weaker sounding GTR cut through the song with what I can only describe as, "an ocean of sound". Though not as obscene of the EG992, there was definitely a "boat load of input headroom" on the 583. The EQ is really awesome on this thing too. Its nice and clear, very passive sounding.

Quote:
(4) GML 8300 series
What I hear from GML preamps are my microphones. They do have a sound, but you would be describing; the source, the room, and the microphone used, and not so much the preamp. The 8300 has "balance" and headroom for MILES. There is not any color imparted, nor is there lack of HF detail in any sort of way. The Bottom is SOLID as well, the clarity in the mid range is STUNNING to my ear. I am describing the wonderful microphones we have in our locker right now. Its so simple it makes my head hurt. I really like GML preamps for vocals with tube mikes, horns, acoustic instruments, drum overheads, anything with a string on it, percussion, anything that needs quick attack and responsive "balance" and enhancement of 3-dimensionality/depth.

Quote:
(5) summit Audio TPA-200B
Never used it.

Quote:
(6) A Designs MP-2A
No Comment on this one.

Quote:
(7) TL Audio Ivory 2 series 5052
Never Used it.

Quote:
(8) Presonus ADL 600
Heard it once on a showroom floor, [lame way to write about gear] I thought it sounded good though. Not using it in any real world application, I can't judge it or really comment at all. But, over the cans, I thought it had a lot of thunder, and omnipotence.

Quote:
(9) Summit Audio MPC-100A
Never used it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search