The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone selling their Apogee and Lavry for Aurora?
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Anyone selling their Apogee and Lavry for Aurora?

Or visa-versa(sp)?

If so why, and which did you sell for which?
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

i sold my rosetta 800 96k and am in the process of selling the rosetta 800 192k to purchase lynx aurora 16s. i love the the lynx stuff. the tech support is top notch. and i feel that i'm getting more bang for the buck. i also wanted something a little more transparent than the rosetta. besides at the price for 16 channels of apogee i get 32 channels of lynx. not bad at all if you ask me.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks dolo,

Ok, Aurora can't be beat for "bang for the buck". How about sonics? Apogee vs. Aurora? I am interested in your opinion and what differences you hear...if any.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Maniac

OK,

Maybe more response from this one...

Anyone (else) shot out their Apogee and/or Lavry (especially) against the Aurora and sent the Aurora back? If so, why?

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

I can't do a comparison between the two, but I just got the Aurora, and it is just absolutely amazing (I upgraded from a Motu 24i/o).
Old 20th August 2005
w2w
Lives for gear

Doublehelix,care to share anymore info on the Aurora vs the Motu 24/i, Im in the same boat,are we talking quite a nice upgrade in quality(sound).Also,do you need to buy the separate PCI card they sell(cant think of the model off hand) to use the Aurora for 16 in & out recording.Any other info/ findings to share?...Thanks
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

It's the AES16 card..
Old 20th August 2005
Gear Nut

I've ordered an aurora16 and an aes16... they should be here soon. Right now I have a single Motu HD192 to a/b with. I'll post the results when the lynx stuff comes in. Previously I had 2 Motu HD192's and clocked them to a UA-2192 that I was trying out. It was a pretty smoking rig, great bang for the buck, but... when you do the math your paying for a clock, 2channels of great ad/da, and 24 ad and da converters.

The total for that rig would be about 10grand Canadian. I never used more than 16 inputs for recording in my place and I mix in the box most of the time, so the 24 channels of da were quite redundant for me. I was origionaly looking at going the apogee ad/da 16x route with an aes16 card. But I figured for the amount of production work I do the aurora16 would better fit my budget. When I start selling 50,000 plus units for my artists the apogee route would probaly be more plausable.
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSpace
OK,

Maybe more response from this one...

Anyone (else) shot out their Apogee and/or Lavry (especially) against the Aurora and sent the Aurora back? If so, why?

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
check this out....

http://mercenary.com/lystau8andau.html

it may be of some help.
joshua
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2w
Doublehelix,care to share anymore info on the Aurora vs the Motu 24/i, Im in the same boat,are we talking quite a nice upgrade in quality(sound).Also,do you need to buy the separate PCI card they sell(cant think of the model off hand) to use the Aurora for 16 in & out recording.Any other info/ findings to share?...Thanks
There is nothing really wrong with the Motu, but it just cannot compare quality-wise to the Aurora. So far, I have only tracked some vocal overdub sessions with the Aurora, and I am quite blown away by the conversion, but the D/A difference is just over the top! Not even close! The Aurora just smokes the Motu.

I am starting a new session on Tuesday, so I will really be able to put the Aurora through its paces and get a chance to compare the A/Ds in a more real situation.

The card you are referring to, as has been mentioned, is the AES-16, and it is pretty awesome as well. At 88.2K, I am getting latencies below 2 ms when running close to 30 tracks on a P4 3 GHz, lots of plugs, etc. Rock solid with great drivers. Pretty cool!
Old 12th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Mystical Verdict?

Hey Mystical....

Has the Aurora arrived?

>>>I've ordered an aurora16 and an aes16... they should be here soon. Right now I have a single Motu HD192 to a/b with. I'll post the results when the lynx stuff comes in.<<<

If you've a/b'd them, I'd like to hear what you think...I've got an HD192 sitting unopened in the box and still haven't convinced myself to use it. I think I'm going to go with something else but don't know what. This comparison may be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 12th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search