The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 31105 Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 23rd November 2009
Here for the gear

As if by magic, Blake appears.

Thanks!

M
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Heal View Post
As if by magic, Blake appears.

Thanks!

M
Hi

No magic or smoke 'n mirrors...

I emailed him about the thread!

heh
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Addict

cool thread.
Old 12th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolstudio View Post
Hi,

a racked pair of 31105 for 1300 $ ??????

Could it be that these are 33115 or modules with a 33xxx ???

If these are real 31105 (which I doubt) than it was a good deal.

31105 are the modules from a Neve 8078 console, Class AB. Pretty much like a 1081 from the EQ bands.
The difference is a relay switching from mic to line status to be switched central from the master section. And if I recall right, they have a different output transformer as the 1081.
What does it mean when a neve channel has a serial number that ends in xxx, or xxxx?
Old 12th July 2014
More cowbell!

Assuming you are not being satirical, they don't end in actual x's. The poster is putting them there to indicate any other ending numbers in that series (where x=anything 0-9).
Old 12th July 2014
Gear Nut

missing serial numbers

Thanks for the reply.

I know a little more about the current situation I find myself in than when I first posted. I was given a gift of a racked 31105 and the receipt listed the serial number as, example: "123xxx".

Turns out that the end of the serial number fell off, thus the xxx portion. I was told that the original Neve serial numbers were printed on metal foil type stickers and that they sometimes heated up in the consoles and deteriorated over time.

Can anyone with experience with vintage Neve modules confirm or deny that this is a COMMON issue (I might be two for two with these guys but have to dig out the file to know)?

All things being equal, including sound, I would have preferred a unit with an intact serial number. I have had miserable luck with this vendor so far (understatement). Waiting to see how it turns out. I only asked about the serial number because of other issues.

I'm sort of sick of dealing with expensive vintage gear and all the ego BS that goes along with it.

Separate question for all interested Slutz. Are we crazy for paying 4-5k per channel for this stuff in terms of an investment? Where do you guys think a Vintage Neve channel with a 4.5k street value in 2014 will be valued at in 2024? I know we get a decade of use out of it in above scenario, but still.........

As ever,

JM

P.S. No, I won't say who the vendor is since we all know them and it will just turn into a sh#t fest.
Old 12th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub View Post
Assuming you are not being satirical, they don't end in actual x's. The poster is putting them there to indicate any other ending numbers in that series (where x=anything 0-9).
Ha, just read your response again, lol, xxx.
Old 13th May 2017
Here for the gear

There's a "Dan Alexander 31005" on ebay now. It seems to be a pair of 3415 racked.

Neve 31105Dan Alexander Audio Neve 31105 Preamp (3415) VINTAGE | eBay

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search