The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The hybrid approach: which analog parts are the most important?
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Mixing hybrid:

-if reverbs are important in your mixes, you definitely need some serious hardware ones as plugins are exactly like midi piano vs. real steinway. EMT 140, AKG BX20E, real chambers etc.

-console for sound, summing and workflow but it needs to be a good one (SSL, Neve, Harrison, Cadac...)

-few Pultecs

-comps: FET (1176), opto (La2a), Vari-mu

-print to Studer A800 etc or Telefunken M15a or something equal

You can go wrong with those IF the gear is in good condition. If not, do it ITB, it will sound better.
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Well I don't agree with Telefunk that you have to go with super high end analog desks/gear or staying ITB will be better as that's just not my experience. I've gotten better 3D with the old Mackie 8 buss and I've heard mixes done on modded Soundcraft Deltas (which should be in most guy's price range) that sounded better than ITB. I've got an AMR 2400 and Otari Concept One desks here and while the Otari was $90k a decade ago neither is top end analog gear but I prefer the sonics of them over ITB. Before this turns into another ITB vs. OTB firefight just re-read some of those threads for the vast range of opinions, I'm just stating mine which is even lowly analog desks make a difference as it relates to the OP's question. However since this thread is about the OP testing the Hybrid waters I think a safe first step would be to grab a few low end gold comps and just use them as hardware inserts with your ITB setup. If they don't prove to be useful you won't lose much if any money flipping them but chances are they will stay in your rack. A good start would be the DBX 160X ($150 used) for the classic DBX VCA sound; the Aphex 320A Compellor ($200 used) for a transparent tracking comp and 2 buss comp, the Art Pro VLA (anyone of the three models - USA/Chinese/Chinese v.2 - used $125 to new $280) for a slow grab tube comp. The list goes on for other suggestions but you can't go wrong with the above three comps for that little amount of money. You can break your cherry with an easy learning curve so get your toes wet and report back your experience.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Well I don't agree with Telefunk that you have to go with super high end analog desks/gear or staying ITB will be better as that's just not my experience. I've gotten better 3D with the old Mackie 8 buss and I've heard mixes done on modded Soundcraft Deltas (which should be in most guy's price range) that sounded better than ITB. I've got an AMR 2400 and Otari Concept One desks here and while the Otari was $90k a decade ago neither is top end analog gear but I prefer the sonics of them over ITB. Before this turns into another ITB vs. OTB firefight just re-read some of those threads for the vast range of opinions, I'm just stating mine which is even lowly analog desks make a difference as it relates to the OP's question. However since this thread is about the OP testing the Hybrid waters I think a safe first step would be to grab a few low end gold comps and just use them as hardware inserts with your ITB setup. If they don't prove to be useful you won't lose much if any money flipping them but chances are they will stay in your rack. A good start would be the DBX 160X ($150 used) for the classic DBX VCA sound; the Aphex 320A Compellor ($200 used) for a transparent tracking comp and 2 buss comp, the Art Pro VLA (anyone of the three models - USA/Chinese/Chinese v.2 - used $125 to new $280) for a slow grab tube comp. The list goes on for other suggestions but you can't go wrong with the above three comps for that little amount of money. You can break your cherry with an easy learning curve so get your toes wet and report back your experience.
Sorry, but you completely misunderstood my reply. I said in the end that if analog gear is not in good CONDITION it's better not to use it. Super duper high end console will sound like utter crap if not in condition (dried up caps etc.)

But the gear i listed was just a list of stuff i personally like.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

My bad, thanks for the clarification.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Still, this is good information for those who didn't have the good fortune to grown up in an analog world, as any of the above bits of gear are a good start .. It's all uphill after that when you get opportunities to work with even better pieces of High-End Outboard Gear ..

The caveat is as Telefunk says, "if analog gear is not in good CONDITION it's better not to use it."
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
I think this refers to a more classic analog mixing approach. I think it might be true, but the questions comes out:

- a mixing desk with compressors and eqs per channel
vs.
- a summing box with sub-busses & sum eq and compressor

or in other words:

- the analog treatment of each signal / track
vs.
- the analog treatment of sub-busses and 2 bus
Well, to be fair let's not forget you can still process every track with analog gear in a hybrid setup, going in loops between the DAW and the gear, then go through a summing box, and then process the 2-buss.

The tracks can then benefit from top of the line EQ's many people can't afford in a 16 channel or more configuration.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search