The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it an investment, or pure vanity?
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Is it an investment, or pure vanity?

Hey, slutz

I'm thinking about purchasing a modern Neumann U87 Ai.

Thoughts?
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

an investment? no.

a bloody good microphone and a bloody good tool to use when recording? yes.

i own a pair of them, use them on lots and lots of sources and get great results and happy clients.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah. That's not an investment in and of itself. In fact you need to take a really long term view with any audio equipment investments/guitars etc right now. Because the industry is in such recession it'll be some time before those items see the sort of appreciation that they've seen in the past fifteen years or so.

It may be an investment in terms of your work. Personally I don't really like 87's but there's no doubt it's a quality mic that will deliver good results.

Jack
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Not vanity, not an investment. It's a fine mic, but you have to pay so much for the Neumann name that it's not worth the money. There are so many other fine mics out there that cost much less.
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Maniac

had opportunity to compare it to a clone (rode)...

it was a little more smooth..

myself, I wont put the additional $$ (price x 5 !?)

tutt F
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

It's a good mic. And if you feel more complete with a good Neumann mic in your locker, by all means buy it. You can even get more customers when saying you have a very good Neumann mic on your website. Take this for example. I recorded a brass section the other day. I had several mics mounted up, just because I wanted to experiment with some new mics and thought this was a good chance. There were some Peluso mics, some Kel mics and some other very good mics. But all the players were drooling around a little Neumann TLM103 that was also there. Sonically however, I prefer pretty much every other mic available in the room. But it's the 103 they will remember, and tell other people about ("there was a beautiful Neumann!"), and might give me new clients. It's the same with Pro Tools.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear
At the price they are now....and becayse there are so many out there, you really can't look at it as an investment. Its not like you bought a U47 in 1970 for 750.00 buck and now its worth 10k.

It will be years before you can sell that mic for more than the price of a new one. maybe never.

But it is an excellent mic, and will serve you well. And I doubt the price will ever drop through the floor.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

exactly. just like ProTools HD.

it's a very good tool which can be considered overpriced compared to more recent competition.

but it works very well very often and clients know it on sight and by name and are impressed.

"jayzus! it's that mic i've seen in EVERY photo and video of a famous artist i've ever seen! WOW!"

job done, vocals sound great, happy client, happy me.

money well spent, in my opinion.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

I'd be patient and find a good used one for around $2k...

they won't depreciate much at that price unless you damage it.

Your cost of ownership with these (and other) high-resale-value
microphones can be really low if they're bought 'right'.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Just a tool.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Addict

Using that budget, I'd get 3 quality mics instead, diversify.

Or 2 quality mics and a killer pre-amp.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

If you're making money doing a lot of vocal tracking sessions then it is an investment.

Vanity would be something like getting plastic surgery.

if you plan to be in this biz, that mic will last you a lifetime. A good investment, imo.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

My attitude on mics comes down to what will give me the most bang for the buck to bring clients in. Though there are plenty of people here that say a Neumann is over priced I don't think any one will ever turn your studio down because of a Neumann's cost.

The other thing I would look at is if I took that same amount of money what else would I spend it on that would either bring in more clients or get me a better sound.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
an investment? no.

a bloody good microphone and a bloody good tool to use when recording? yes.

i own a pair of them, use them on lots and lots of sources and get great results and happy clients.
I second that!

I

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search