The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any Pro's mix exclusively on NS10's?
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Any Pro's mix exclusively on NS10's?

Any full-time mixers rely solely on NS10's (with perhaps a sub)? That is, using no main's--just something like a boombox or 2nd set of even smaller speakers?

I'm thinking of getting rid of my Focals and getting a pair of NS10's and a Bryston.
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
Any full-time mixers rely solely on NS10's (with perhaps a sub)? That is, using no main's--just something like a boombox or 2nd set of even smaller speakers?

I'm thinking of getting rid of my Focals and getting a pair of NS10's and a Bryston.
I mix everything off NS-10s. The Bryston is an absolute must though. I occasionally check the mix on KRK 9000B's as well. And I also have 3 pairs of cheap, computer/ consumer speakers I check it as well. The car system is the final test.

But NS-10's get used 90% of the time. They can sound harsh, and can definitely cause ear fatigue quickly if you're monitoring too loudly and not taking breaks, but if you get the mix to sound good on the NS-10s/ Bryston, it usually sounds great on other systems.

Just my two cents
Old 19th June 2009

I know several pro's who mix almost exclusively on NS10's. Although, there are usually a couple of other sets of monitors for a different point of reference.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

I mix 100% of the time with NS10s and a Tannoy sub.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

as usual, i'm backwards, i mix on mackie hr824's, then use ns-10's for reference...
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

I can't see why anyone would mix exclusively on anything.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I can't see why anyone would mix exclusively on anything.
I use the term "mix" loosely.

I reference on everything imaginable. Even my Blackberry.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
I use the term "mix" loosely.

I reference on everything imaginable. Even my Blackberry.
Gotcha. Although I wasn't directing that at your statement. The Blackberry is a good addition - seriously, there are so many engineers out there who wouldn't think to do that.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

<< I mix 100% of the time with NS10s and a Tannoy sub. >>

Hey Stewart! Good to know.

Btw, are any Bryston amps a good choice, or are there some specific models to go for?
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
<< I mix 100% of the time with NS10s and a Tannoy sub. >>

Hey Stewart! Good to know.

Btw, are any Bryston amps a good choice, or are there some specific models to go for?
The Bryston 3B-ST is great. Hot House makes a great amp too.

I've been lucky in discovering a Crown (PA) amp that works great with our room acoustics. No idea why it works, but I'm afraid to touch it! Haha!!

I think it was a fluke and am terrified to change it. Hell I'm afraid to get a new sofa in there. Seriously!!! I was going to get a cool, espresso-colored, leather sofa but I find it to be a frightening proposition.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Gotcha. Although I wasn't directing that at your statement. The Blackberry is a good addition - seriously, there are so many engineers out there who wouldn't think to do that.
No worries Scott.

I try to listen on every low-end system imaginable.
It gives me a greater idea of how the average consumer listens.

My preferences are:

1) My Blackberry Bold (which sounds surprisingly good)
2) My Powerbook (w/a speaker that works intermittently)
3) The Facebook player called iLike
4) The Myspace Player (the absolute worst)
5) Anyone's car stereo (I'm not biased)
6) I listen to the mix out of phase if possible
7) Boom box
8) Ad infinitum

The crappier the system the better.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Nut

i mix on NS10s check my mix's on genelecs and a studer a80 speaker. oh and the car of course!
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

One of the best engineers of classical recordings I've ever met mixes exclusively on NS-10s.

Is it just me or do NS-10s get poked-in speaker cones more than any other kind of speaker, haha? It seems like 1/4 of the NS-10s I see have a poked-in speaker cone. Maybe they remind us, subliminally, of an inverted breast or something.

-synthoid
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

i even sometimes record the take to oldskool cassettes and play it from an old trashed boombox i have here.

But for the rest, anywhere i can...
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Addict

chris lord used to, but i haven't seen or talked to him for 4-5 years. he does check through a number of other means (like his car) but knowing chris as well as i do, i'd wager that he still does. funny thing is, for someone that has stuck to his particular method & gear, he'll try anything at the drop of a hat if asked, & without prejudice. he's always approached his work with the brain of a musician...

ml
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

For those of you that mix exclusively/alot(most)-of-the-time, what SUB do you use with them? Or do you use a sub at all when mixing with the NS10's?
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

I've used the same pair of NS10's for the past 24 years.
I have changed the components out MANY times, but it's still the same NS10's with no sub.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Yeah, Tony-- listening to mixes at your studio is why I'm thinking about going back to the NS10's!
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

i did for years.

these days between my proac 100's (80%) and the ns10's (20% or so at low volumes) and an occasional check on my old sony boombox and grado phones...i'm solid.

i do have a sub...but just use it to check the super low stuff...usually its off.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

If I can find some like-new NS10's, I'll probably go back to mixing on them alot... I used to use them for 99% of my work.

Brystons work great with them and just about any 4B model would work okay. I have an old 4B as well as one of the new "SST" (or whatever it's called) and actually like the older one better (they go for pretty cheap these days online)....
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I have changed the components out MANY times, but it's still the same NS10's with no sub.
Tony, care to share what model# components and where they can be bought? I've got 2 pair both with blown out tweeters (due to a 'loud' client)...

And yep, your mixes sound VERY GOOD!!!!! Goes to show that one doesn't need the most expensive monitors to do good work (expensive monitors =seems to be the trend these days on this forum)... heh heh
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Tony, care to share what model# components and where they can be bought? I've got 2 pair both with blown out tweeters (due to a 'loud' client)...
I can probably get them for you. Send me a PM.
Old 20th June 2009
For me starting the mixes on NS10's/Akai PJ R-25 and finishing with something more of a "magnifying glass" type monitor works best. What i've never liked about NS10's is that they tend to mask built up distortion in the mids and hi's. A speaker with a more linear response reveals this easily.

A combination of the two plus checking the low end/phase in the mids on the big monitors usually works.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post

And yep, your mixes sound VERY GOOD!!!!! Goes to show that one doesn't need the most expensive monitors to do good work (expensive monitors =seems to be the trend these days on this forum)... heh heh
For years I've been going to: http://www.prodistroaudio.com/
But I don't think this guy is in business anymore.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

I love NS-10s for finding problem areas. I never finish a mix without checking with them several times. If the midrange works on the 10s, I'm confident that it's right.

And I also think a Bryston is especially good with NS10s.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

tony's ns 10s are an anomaly.

they don't sound like any other ns 10's i've ever heard.

still not sure if it is his room or his speakers.

everyone who hears them says the same thing.

ej

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search