The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anamod amm660 tracking vocals
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Head

Anamod amm660 tracking vocals

Anyone have any experience tracking male and female Pop & Rock vox with the Anamod AM660?

If possible, please compare to an LA-2A.

Please include your vocal chain as one thing colors the next.

Thanks!!
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYBEACH View Post
Anyone have any experience tracking male and female Pop & Rock vox with the Anamod AM660?

If possible, please compare to an LA-2A.

Please include your vocal chain as one thing colors the next.

Thanks!!
i think you have to be pretty sure you want that texture til the end if you're going to track with it. an LA2 has a slow attack and can be subtler so i prefer it for tracking, but there are no rules.

vocal chain can be any number of mics depending on the singer and i usually go through a neve 1084 but there's no law that says that can't change either.
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Head

Thanks Raal

Thanks Raal, your comments are always intelligent.

I have an MC-77 ( which I love ) and was looking for a good complimentary compressor. A lot of engineers seem to think, for tracking vocals, LA-2A's are the way to go ( with some folks preferring the CL1b's or the LA-3A's - even though those 2 are completely different animals).

I can get 90% of what I want when tracking vocals via the MC-77. But it seems to get a little harsh/hard sounding in the upper mids with some female singers regardless of mics ( although I haven't tried a ribbon yet ).

I was actually thinking of chaining the MC-77 ( 4:1 slowest attack and light input ) into the AM660; but, if the AM660 won't work like that, then I guess something else is in the cards. Have you any thoughts on that?

I'm in the box after tracking and always seem to put my UAD Fairchild plug on vocals when mixing. So I'm quite comfortable with that sound.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYBEACH View Post
Thanks Raal, your comments are always intelligent.

I have an MC-77 ( which I love ) and was looking for a good complimentary compressor. A lot of engineers seem to think, for tracking vocals, LA-2A's are the way to go ( with some folks preferring the CL1b's or the LA-3A's - even though those 2 are completely different animals).

I can get 90% of what I want when tracking vocals via the MC-77. But it seems to get a little harsh/hard sounding in the upper mids with some female singers regardless of mics ( although I haven't tried a ribbon yet ).

I was actually thinking of chaining the MC-77 ( 4:1 slowest attack and light input ) into the AM660; but, if the AM660 won't work like that, then I guess something else is in the cards. Have you any thoughts on that?

I'm in the box after tracking and always seem to put my UAD Fairchild plug on vocals when mixing. So I'm quite comfortable with that sound.
imo the LA2 is a no brainer for tracking vocals, and you must know many people like to use 1176 (& MC77s) along with lead vocals. there's another thread on now, touching on that very subject.

the Anamod 660 is a very diffferent animal from the LA2A. if you like the UAD Fairchild (never heard one but do have a pair of anamods), the 660 might just be your ticket. if you're not familiar with what a real fairchild sounds like i would take the 660 out for a spin and then decide . again imo, nothing anyone tells you on the internet will get you close to actually listening to one, specially if you're not familiar with the real fairchild. sorry if this isn't very helpful.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Head

Thanks again Raal!

Thanks again Raal!! I've used LA-2A's in the past. You are right - they are a no-brainer. I'm going to buy the AM660. I'm curious about it so I'll try it first. I can always get an LA-2A as a last resort. I guess I am just looking for something a little different. Again, thanks for your excellent advice.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

I love the hell out of my anamod 660's, but they have enough character that I have to decide whether to throw it on during tracking depending on the situation. I've definitely used them a lot while tracking vocals, mostly so I have the option to use the pair as bus compression during the mix.

For the price I can't even think of anything to compare them to. Well worth checking out.
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Addict

I use my Anamod 660 for tracking AcGts and drumset mono mics mostly. not so much for vocals, too noisy imho. and the 660 tends to "over react". If you set the input a little bit too high, it could jump to a huge amount of gainreduction on vocal peaks. My LA2a is similar in this behaviour, but "sounds" a lot softer while GR is taking place! Anamod 660 is reacting a bit more like the EMI TG-Limiter to my ears (of course not soundwise, but in the way the GR itself happens!)...
Old 21st June 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

I would also look at the Buzz Essence and the Pete's Place BAC500. I have the essence and it is great and smooth on vocals for recording in.
I would probably used the Anamod for mixdown only. If it is anything like the UAD Fairchild - it is quite a footprint to put on recording in and yet should have a significant impact on an already recorded signal that you should not have to worry about not having used it for record and playback. My 2 cents.

Bottom line - limit the color and compression going in - reserve some for playback - then you have maximum flexibility OR at least record one track with the compressor (like the Anamod) an one without so you are not locked it

Ok - I am up to 4 cents. now.

Cheers,
AB
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Head

All opinions

All opinions are greatly appreciated!!
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

If you ever get a chance I highly suggest you check out a DW Fearn VT7. I like it quite a bit more than the current UA LA2A remakes. In fact it's probably one of my favorite tube compressors.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Addict
Angus Woodhead had a annamod 660 hit him up for a comment as he used it on everything.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search