The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Console PSU noise
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Console PSU noise

The PSU with my new Wunderbar Console generates a lot of fan noise. Can any owners of new consoles (i.e. API 1608, Neve 5088 etc) tell me if their PSU units generate much noise?

Last edited by maestro; 6th July 2010 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

I'm genuinely concerned about this noise. Can anyone advise? even by PM?

Many thanks heh
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Have you opened the door to the equipment room for an older SSL console (2000/4000)? Very loud and unpleasant noise... My Series 12 PSUs sounds quite a lot too. There's a limit to how quiet those fans can operate w optimum fan design, good bearings etc. If they are going to move enough air they will make noise... No equipment room at your place?
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
All desks that use a significant amount of power will usually have a fan to help with the cooling. Fans make noise, especially if they are doing a significant amount of work, so in this respect it is very likely to be 'normal'.
It IS possible to design supplies that do not have fans but they must use large heatsinks and will be expensive. I expect there is a reasonable market for 'fanless' supplies but since most large studios have 'machine rooms' with tape or computers it is probably not worthwhile making supplies that silent.
I would propose a 'reworked' supply that would probably have to double or triple it's previous rack space and cost a fair amount more simply because big effective heatsinks are so expensive.
Talk to Wunder and find out if their supply could be built as 'fanless'.
I suspect they could win a few 'brownie points' if they could offer such an option.
Matt S
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Nut

Hi, my 5088 PS is rather silent, the real drag is the penthouse ( portico modules ) PS, wich is REALY noisy when the fan is on.
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Geoff D. set me up with an Acopian linear power supply w/o fan for my Daking. MUCH improved over switching supply w/fan. The linear w/o fan IS more expensive so may need to be specified.

Wonder or Power One should be able to provide anything Wonder can specify.
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
Whilst not wishing to get hoisted by my own petard in the (hopefully near) future, not many of the recent large desks have really got to grips with the problems of heat extraction from what is basically 'too much in a small space'.
The ideas of 'holes around the pot shafts' and other intended ingenious designs are a start but unfortunately the airflow fails to read the instructions about where it should go and how fast.
Matt S
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Addict

These days with the proliferation of so many computers there have been some advances in quieter fans that generally are larger in diameter and rotate at lower RPMs (from memory the old standard Muffin fans ran at something like 3250 RPM). These days there are decent ball bearing fans that run at 1000 RPM.

Dropping the rotational speed and increasing the diameter of the fan will usually result in significant reduction in audible output.

How long they stay quiet for is another story. It seems that a lot of recently made fans don't seem to last as long now?
Old 7th July 2010
Solid State Logic

Duality, AWS900, and Matrix all have silent and fan-less PSUs. They are all convection cooled, so have far lower power consumption and no noise.

In today's environmentally concious (and running cost concious) days it seems a bit "last century" to make something with a fan in :-)
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
That's an interesting take on 'has far fewer parts inside', although many of the newer chips run with lower quiescent current.
Matt S

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search