The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Accoustic Gobos
Old 15th August 2005
Here for the gear

Accoustic Gobos

Hi,

I am trying to find some way to make my own gobos to cover the drums in order to kill the sound reflections and reduce the risk of phase cancelling. What is the best material to build gobos?
Some of the material that I can find here are:
-Mineral Wool
-Glass Wool
-Accoustic Foam with pyramids on the surface
-Fiberglass

Thanks for your advices.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

Mark,

Any of those will absorb mid and high frequencies fine. Fiberglass is probably the cheapest, and you can compress 12 inches (R38) down to only 3 or 4 inches thick and keep it in place with chicken wire, covered with burlap or some other soft and porous fabric.

--Ethan
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

And keep in mind that the mass of the gobo is also a factor in how well it works, so consider making one side of the gobo absorptive as per Ethan's advice and put some hard high-density material (like gypsum drywall covered with cloth) on the other side. Some of the gobos in my tracking room weigh over 100 lbs and I wish they were on casters...
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Not to steer this thread too off course.
But I may need some large(rolling?)Gobos to use as a movavble 4th wall in a mixing environment.
Probably will need at least 9 ft high and maybe 8-10 length.
Any thoughts?
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Nut

gobos on wheels

I have 40 or 50 lineal feet of gobos on wheels that I made 4-5 years ago. They range from 4-8ft high (could easily be 10-12ft). I have them in pairs or trios hinged with door butts and they are panels 2ft wide on casters. If you hing 2 or 3 together you can move them in any configuration you need to form a room or wall.
They are made from semi rigid fiberglass (2" thick different densities) covered in cloth with 1X4 or 1X6 sides, 2x4 horizontal edgewise braces, and a plywood back. There is a dead space between the fiberglass and the plywood.
If you would like a picture send me an e-mail to "keystrokeslc AT comcast DOT net".
The pix are about .5meg and I don't know how to post them here at a reasonable size.
The casters are a requirement for me when I work alone and in general save time when setting up. If you can build a large box you should be able to make these.

Elmon May
Richmond, VA

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search