The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
One more mic on the drum kit - where?
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

One more mic on the drum kit - where?

I currently use 7 mics on my drum kit. 2xOH, 2xtom, SN,K,HH. Why? 1) too many mics makes for phase and bleed issues. Less is better. 2) I almost never have to use close mics if the drummer is good. A hard floor makes resonant bottom heads pick up nicely in the overheads.

I always end up wanting two things I don't have - 1)Kick beater, 2) Snare bottom.
I have one more channel I can use - so I need a strategy.

Would it make sense to drop an omni under the snare, next to the kick and get both, and a little low end rumble (which is always nice)? Or should I just drop a mic inside the kick (I only use a beta 52 in the hole today) and forget about the snare bottom, and fix that with drumagog as I often do today? Thoughts.

my typical mic assignments are OH to CMC6/MK21, toms to 421, HH to Sm81, K to beta 52, SN to m201.

Thanks for suggestions. t.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

What genre do you tend to do? Have you tried the minimum 3 or 4 mics on hard rock? Yep, doesn't really work. If it's jazz or something that's supposed to sound that spacious, then heck, just stick a nice ribbon up in the room and you're done. I always stick multiple mics up. If I don't need them, I mute them, sometimes it's the toms, sometime it's the bottom snare mic, sometimes even hi-hat or I leave the OH's on by themselves and cut the room mics for a certain section of the song. The song should tell you!!! Most importantly, there are no rules, you should be doing things as your ear tells you to do them. If you get phasing, practice your mic technique. Don't hit record until it sounds right.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

why not do an experiment where you omit the channels of toms and HH and use the three spare channels for kick-in / snare bottom/side and a mono room mic. the room will get you some of that snare and kick tone your after.

use your stereo overheads to get the imaging for the hihat and toms.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear
Have you tried a mike under drummers stool.
It will pick up the 2 things you want- beater and snare bottom.
Also I currently use an re20 under the snare pointing at the kick below the beater and it gives a nice mixture of the 2.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

Try placing an omni right above the bass drum rim, between snare and floor tom (assuming the drummer has just one rack tom). It picks up attack from the beater, snare drum sizzle, and depending on how the kit is set up: extra floor tom beef and/or resonance from the snare, rack and floor tom. I usually go with a 414 or an md 21.
/E

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search