The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any commnt on TAD studio monitor for mastring?
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Nut

Any commnt on TAD studio monitor for mastring?

Is it good for mastering compare with ADAM,K+H etc.?
e.g TAD 300 VS ADAM MP1 VS K+H o500c
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

I think you will find too much non-linearity in the TAD options for "mastering" work...not saying that it hasn't been done, but for me the TAD line is not intended for mastering, more for loud monitoring (without worrying about blown drivers)....I would look elsewhere....the Meyer x-10's are beautiful for this kind of work (I used to own a set with x-800 subs)...and there are a variety of "soft dome" speakers out there that will work quite well...I think you should try to audition as many speakers as possible and settle on what you think will serve you needs "long-term"....get something you can live with, and then stick with it...that is what has worked well for me over the years....my current monitoring setup is the following

1. B&W 800 series (805s with stereo subs)
2. Mark Levinson no. 20 monoblocks
3. Custom sound anchors (tripod) stands
4. MIT speaker cable
5. good clean power system (dedicated circuits for the amps)

this setup has served me well over the last 5 years and did not break the bank (whole system was under $12k)

yes there are "better" options...my system is not extremely loud and not "hyped" in the bottom end, but I find the 800 series to be one of the few speakers where you can stare directly at the speaker and not feel that the music is coming from it....the cabinets truly disappear....of course there is no substitute for a properly setup and "tuned" room....
Old 16th June 2009
Might be better to go with K&H. The Tad's have a couple things going against them for mastering. The low''s seem to fall off pretty quick. They're near field and ported. You never know though, if you try them with a couple subs. you would probably need subs for the K&H as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search