The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ONE Schoeps CMC64G-ST stereo kit verses TWO single CMC64G-SET kits?
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

ONE Schoeps CMC64G-ST stereo kit verses TWO single CMC64G-SET kits?

I just noticed that the list price for ONE Schoeps CMC64G-ST stereo kit is $3625. But, a single CMC64G-SET mic is just $1715, meaning that TWO of these would be $3430. Thus, if you buy a pair of single kits, you save $195 verses buying the stereo kit.

The stereo kit does come with elastic suspension mounts, but I do not care for these, you can't get the mics in or out of them without damaging the finish of the mic.

So I am leaning towards a pair of single kits to save the $195. But...

When you buy the stereo kit, are the mics "matched"? Or perhaps with Schoeps, in general, the tolerances are so close that a pair of singles would not even need to be "matched"? Perhaps they'd automatically be pretty much identical...?

Just trying to see if there are any downsides to buying a pair of singles verses buying the stereo kit. I don't care about extra elastic mic clips and fancy wooden boxes, etc.

Has anyone ever purchased a pair of single Schoeps mics (same model of course) and found them to not be matched well enough?

Thanks
Old 15th June 2009
The capsules in the stereo kits are matched. Two random singles are going to be pretty close, but there are no gaurantees and there will not be a small difference that you notice. Schoeps seem to me to be a long term investment of a very high quality tool. If very close matching is critical to you, it's worth the extra small amount of money. $200 over the years will turn into pennies per day on average.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search