The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
vintage cadac consoles / modules
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

vintage cadac consoles / modules

i am interested in buying an old cadac console. its a custom-build 20 channel board. the modules are probably the ones that fit into the quadrophon console like g228 or g268. there are not much info to find on the web. so i try to gather more info here about the pro and cons.

what i do know till now:

- the pre and eq is the bomb, have a racked module here
- they are very old
- the gyrators have a limited lifetime
- console has some big fat output transformers

i am thankfull for EVERY info, experiences, where to get more modules, parts, warnings, history, to make my decission to buy it or not. i try to get some pictures of this thing in the next days....

best, shangoe
Old 15th August 2005
Old Cadac desks are sensational in my opinion.
For tracking drums they are superb.
However, like anything that age, they are prone to technical problems. Many of the components are hard to source, a lot are obsolete.
I would dearly love to own a desk, but they usually cost a bomb. Uppermost in my mind would be the maintenance issues however. It's a big ask to keep one functioning.
You may find extra help from Pro Audio Europe.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

While they may be prone to technical problems, there are a plethora of these desks used on Broadway and the West End, so there are sources of people who are doing regular maintenance. The engineers at Cadac are wonderful and have some good suggestions for replacement componenets. You did not mention which Cadac model, which has a significant effect- A type, E type?

On the early A-type I mixed on, the most common issue was preamp pot replacament (easy), EQ pot replacement (not as easy but canbe done by most) and other issues which could be fixed easily by swapping boards from keeping a couple of spare modules aound.

I love these desks, if you can't tell by my post!

Cheers!
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I do have an Cadac F-Type in our tracking studio and have been using K- & J-Types for years when mixing musicals. The pres & eqs are in the same league as Neve!
Of course F & J are "modern" designs, but they do not contain any out-of-the-ordinary components and I guess they used main stream components in the older designs too.
Anyway you are most likely to need (a lot of) capacitors and they should easily be replaceable by new parts. Should you buy the desk and need a service engineer don't hesitate to contact me (I'm in Germany). I can perhaps dig out some old contacts to the Cadac Clive Green Company, too

Cheers
Stefan
Old 29th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
While they may be prone to technical problems, there are a plethora of these desks used on Broadway and the West End, so there are sources of people who are doing regular maintenance.
I would have thought the classic 1970's desks are a completely different beast to the current Cadac line.
Perhaps I'm wrong.
I know a couple of people who deal in vintage Cadac but warned me against them.
Also a songwriter who has been looking for years for some parts to fix a few modules on his 70's mixer.
YMMV
Old 11th April 2015
Here for the gear

Cadac Modules / Chocolate Box

I know this is an old post, Have you seen this?

2 Cadac Input modules with transformer out and full Digital AES Optical I/O... and more!

FUNKTECH

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search