The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Brauner VM1 lite vs Lawson L251
Old 14th August 2005
Here for the gear

Brauner VM1 lite vs Lawson L251

What exactly are the differences between a Brauner VM1 lite and the "heavy" version?

There is no mention of the lite on the Brauner site so I guess it was one of their specials with, I'm guessing, a fixed cardioid pattern. Its considerably more affordable than the VM1. Are there other limitations?

Since they are in the same price range does anyone have a preference for the VM1 Lite against the Lawson L251, which looks like a very nice mic for around the same money.

Aiden
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

The differences between the VM-1 light - former called VM-U and the"full version" VM-1 are:

* Only two polar patterns: Cardioid and omni
* Different mike holder (the same like the one on the Valvet, which is very good) + without the pop filter (see picture)
* Different power supply

The mic itself is absolutely identical with the VM-1 and also sounds identical, which makes it a bargain.

I have 3 VM-1 light, one modified and a selected stereo pair and am very happy with them. thumbsup

Don´t know the Lawson but the general atributes of the VM series are:

Very accurate, fast, bright, extreme low noise floor.....it´s a modern tube design - extremly versatile and reliable. My personal TO GO mic.
Usually everything is there and I don´t need EQ, which is great - on the other hand it doesn´t take EQ so well as other mics, which are less accurate.

In my experience they sound very good on all sorts of accoustical instruments:
I´m using them with very good results as an A/B pair on overheads, percussion, acc. guitar.

On vocals it´s important to match the right pre amp, since the extreme accuracy of the mic might not blend well with an also accurate pre amp.

I like them in combination with warmer pre´s like the Wunder Peq-1r.
AD-2022, Cranesong Spider, Manley Slam úsually are too precise on that source.

However on overheads I had good results turning the impdance on the AD-2022 down, which made the Cymbals sounding smoother.

Here a pic from a recent vocal mic shootout.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

What´s absolutley great about Dirk Brauner is his service:

I recently sent him my third VM-1u, which I wanted to sound a bit warmer in the high end and stronger low end - in one word - a smoother "more vintage like" vocal sound.

He modified it and sent it back within one week - for FREE....... heh

The mic sounds amazing and comes VERY close to his VM-A (we did direct shootouts - the VM-A still has some finer silk in the high end).

All VM-1 lights are fully upradeable to the full version - all you need is to send Brauner your old power supply and the mic holder and get back the bigger versions of it.

They offer also a modification of the VM light power supply with an 8 setting instead of the omni, so you could record MS with a stereo pair.

Absolutley amazing company thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Another pic from our shootout session

from L to R:

Horch, up -Vm-1 light modified with yellow label, down VM-A , up VM-1 light unmodified, Grooove tubes
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have to say that I prefer the lite version's shockmount. Maybe that sounds weird, but I think the thing is so cool.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Not to go too far off topic, but Dirk Brauner is awesome.

He is the only builder/dealer on the forum (IMO) that does not seem to have agendas. He is just cool. No other word for him. I respect him very much (not to mention he makes some KICK A$$ MIC$)!!!!
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Head

bump

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search