The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Loan me your Desert Island Mi Pre
Old 14th August 2005
Loan me your Desert Island Mi Pre

fuuck

Hey Pro Producers and Engineers - do you have ONE favorite hands down mic pre for agressive higher range female vocals? One that can also do justice to the lower spls - whispers, etc.?

I'm new to GS, but not new to recording/ engineering, at all. I'm hoping for some STRONG opinions!

Thanks, and please go easy on the wallet!!
(for you native SSL addicts )

I know - too many avatars for a first time user - how many are allowed, generally?

THANKS,

Sqye (pronounced sky)
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

1084 - Can't beat a classic
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

1084 sounds right.
Old 14th August 2005
Thanks for responding guys.

I've used the 1084 and I like it alot.

I've read a bunch of postings here basically slamming all the Neve clones - BAE, Vintech, etc. Are these units REALLY ALL not that good? Can you just dismiss them all without batting a lid?

I'm very curious to see what you guys REALLY think. I'm sure some of you have some intensive experience at least demoing these pieces.

What about the BAE Fairchild? 1108? 312a? I find it hard to believe that these units are all trash!

THANKS for your insight.
Old 14th August 2005
Oh, and what about the OSA guys???

Still curious!
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

OK you need to get another Avatar.... this one is.... uh.... taken.

What was the question? Oh yeah, API.

Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yep, API 512...
Old 14th August 2005
Avedis EQ

Also, has anyone used the Mike Avedis (BAE) eq unit. I spoke with him over the phone at BAE, and he seems really nice, and very knowlegable. Not to get all personal - I'm not looking to slam Mike or BAE - but I've never used any of their stuff. I have no particular alegence to BAE at all, other than the fact that MIke really took a lot of time on the phone, and THAT, in this day and age, is not so common.

I've used quite a bit of Neve gear over the years 1073, 1081, prism, 1084, and I love Neve stuff - it's the best sounding stuff I've ever used.

In my extensive recording experience I've also used quite a large array of high end mic pres such as Neve, API, Fairchild, SSL, Manley, Langevin, UA (etc.)- including some of the relatively new brands like Hardy, Millenia, Presonus, Focusrite, etc. The new stuff doesn't ever sound as good to me as the vintage Neve stuff, but I'm very curious about the BAE, Vintech, OSA, etc. guys.

Sorry to be redundant, but I just can't imagine that they all just suck. ANd if they do, WHY?
Old 14th August 2005
Sorry @ the avatar, CDOG - I'll post a custom one soon - promise.

Okay, so I've got 2 votes for the api, and 2 for the 1084. I've used both and I like them both. So, so far, evryone here seems to be giving me good advice. I can take that to be a good sign.

Thanks guys.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

The only "Neve clone" I think is worth checking out would be the Aurora GTQ3.
Old 14th August 2005
Hey thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
The only "Neve clone" I think is worth checking out would be the Aurora GTQ3.
What do you like about it. Have you tried the others? What do you think about them?

BAE?
Vintech?
OSA?

What about any of the AMEK 9098 cib/ purepath stuff?

THANKS
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Maniac

You also might want to check out the Chandler LTD-1. I have one and It rocks! Its basically a 1073 with a hot-rodded eq section. I've used the vintech stuff and the BAE stuff and personally, I thought that the BAE stuff sounded better, but that is just my opinion, you can probably make great recordings with any of them.
Good Luck
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Guru

I was Switching between a Neve 1084,wunder PEQ,Aurora GTQ,TG channel yesterday on female vox..
on this day,on that song, the Wunder worked the best on her voice.
And a Chandler TG channel worked the day before for a different song with a differnet singer
tommorrow?...Who knows
theyre all great
[PS..sold the Vintech stuff....Amek boring.....and yes, the LTD-1 rocks]
Old 14th August 2005
Thanks, RyGuyDrum and RoundBadge

I appreciate your opinions and response. Very cool. Will have to check out the LTD-1, apparently.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Great River MP-2NV.
Old 15th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by barforama
Great River MP-2NV.
Holy Moly - you really dig this thing. Wow - I wanted strong opinions and I clearly got one - do you have stock in the company, or do you really love it that much? Do you use it with everything?

What kinds of sessions might you NOT use it for? tutt
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
Holy Moly - you really dig this thing. Wow - I wanted strong opinions and I clearly got one - do you have stock in the company, or do you really love it that much?
Stocks? Tell me where to buy 'em and I will.
Yes I really like 'em that much.
Quote:
Do you use it with everything?
What kinds of sessions might you NOT use it for?
Basically on everything yes. The only 3 things that would make me reach for something else is;

1. If I run out of channels which I do when tracking drums for example. In that case I'll use MP2NV for kickdrummics, ambience, FOK and snare, Trident A-range's for toms and snare, MP4MH for overheads, hats and ride. Subject to change without prior notice.

2. If I need a ultraclean pre then I sometimes reach for the MP4MH instead. Sometimes on strings, acoustic guitar, brass, woodwind and so forth.

3. If the MP-2NV doesn't do the source justice. Which never has happened yet, so you might just strike this option number 3.
Old 15th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by barforama
Stocks? Tell me where to buy 'em and I will.
Yes I really like 'em that much.

Basically on everything yes. The only 3 things that would make me reach for something else is;

1. If I run out of channels which I do when tracking drums for example. In that case I'll use MP2NV for kickdrummics, ambience, FOK and snare, Trident A-range's for toms and snare, MP4MH for overheads, hats and ride. Subject to change without prior notice.

2. If I need a ultraclean pre then I sometimes reach for the MP4MH instead. Sometimes on strings, acoustic guitar, brass, woodwind and so forth.

3. If the MP-2NV doesn't do the source justice. Which never has happened yet, so you might just strike this option number 3.

You've got me convinced to check one out ASAP.

Thanks

I'll let you know what I think.
Old 15th August 2005
member no 666

I love the MP-2NV as much as the next man... and while I don't have stock in the company either, I do have an "emotional" investment in the product... however, from the description of your requirement [agressive higher range female vocals], the Thermionic Culture "Early Bird" was the first thing that came to my mind. One of the smoothest, sweetest pre's for that application [and a lot of other applications too... but especially for "agressive higher range female vocals"].
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

API 512
Use 'em on anything and everything.
Old 16th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
I love the MP-2NV as much as the next man... and while I don't have stock in the company either, I do have an "emotional" investment in the product... however, from the description of your requirement [agressive higher range female vocals], the Thermionic Culture "Early Bird" was the first thing that came to my mind. One of the smoothest, sweetest pre's for that application [and a lot of other applications too... but especially for "agressive higher range female vocals"].
Hey, thanks, Fletcher.

And thank you for directly addressing my specific problem and requirement. What makes this pre so desirable in your opinion? Are there multiple reasons, technically, or do you just really dig the sound for this particular application?

What are the first mics you'd get off the shelf for this - c12? u67? 47? What would you reach for off the bat, if you don't mind my asking.

Thanks, again for the recommendation.
Old 16th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter
API 512
Use 'em on anything and everything.
I really appreciate the feedback. What 512s are you using!! Hace you tried the BAE stuff?

Thanks
Old 16th August 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Hey, thanks, Fletcher.

And thank you for directly addressing my specific problem and requirement. What makes this pre so desirable in your opinion? Are there multiple reasons, technically, or do you just really dig the sound for this particular application?

What are the first mics you'd get off the shelf for this - c12? u67? 47? What would you reach for off the bat, if you don't mind my asking.

Thanks, again for the recommendation.
The Thermionic Culture "Early Bird" just sounds like 'butter'... it's smooth, and huge and somewhat omnipotent. As for a mic... hell if I know, I haven't heard her sing. I'd probably start by liming up a Microtech Gefell UM-75 or 92.1 and a Soundelux E-49 and a KHE and an RCA 77-DX [and possibly a Shure 57 just for ****s and grins] and see [hear] where that took me... then modify the selectioi if one of those didn't work exceptionally well.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really appreciate the feedback. What 512s are you using!! Hace you tried the BAE stuff?

Thanks
API 512. I didn't know there was any other 512. I have been using them my whole career.

I've never tried the Brent Averill, which is apparently a 312-type circuit. And I actually don't know if there's any real difference between a 512 and a 312. I should know that being the API lover that I am. (Hmmmm idea for a new post?)

I have heard the OSA knock-offs and was unimpressed, not so much with the sound but by the build-quality.

To me, there's no substitute for the real API.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
The BAE units are just the same API parts put in a box by Brent. Very nicely I might add. Should sound identical.
Old 17th August 2005
Quote:
The Thermionic Culture "Early Bird" just sounds like 'butter'... it's smooth, and huge and somewhat omnipotent. As for a mic... hell if I know, I haven't heard her sing. I'd probably start by liming up a Microtech Gefell UM-75 or 92.1 and a Soundelux E-49 and a KHE and an RCA 77-DX [and possibly a Shure 57 just for ****s and grins] and see [hear] where that took me... then modify the selectioi if one of those didn't work exceptionally well.
Hey, thanks Fletcher - I appreciate the description and suggestions.
Old 17th August 2005
Quote:
Hey, have you tried the True Tracker stuff from Germany? If so, what do you think?
Old 17th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
The BAE units are just the same API parts put in a box by Brent. Very nicely I might add. Should sound identical.
Bueno. Gracias.
Old 17th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter
API 512. I didn't know there was any other 512. I have been using them my whole career.

I've never tried the Brent Averill, which is apparently a 312-type circuit. And I actually don't know if there's any real difference between a 512 and a 312. I should know that being the API lover that I am. (Hmmmm idea for a new post?)

I have heard the OSA knock-offs and was unimpressed, not so much with the sound but by the build-quality.

To me, there's no substitute for the real API.
Good to know - that was my impression just looking at photos of the OSA stuff, but I've never heard them.

Thanks - I'll put yoiu on the list of API nuts!!
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have both API 512c's and the BAE 312A's and they are not indentical. The BAE 312's are a much more exciting preamp. The 512 sounds sterile in comparison. When I went in to Demo the 312's they said these are gonna sound better than the 512's, I was like ya ya sure sure. What do you know.. they do! Avedis showed me the guts of the two side by side and explained the differences. BAE 312's sound great and they are cheaper??!. I bought a pair. And more to come. I love the API 550a's though!

thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search