The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp: Neve 1073 or 1081 Channel Strips
Old 13th August 2005
Here for the gear

Preamp: Neve 1073 or 1081

Hi,

I'd like to buy a 1081 or a 1073...
I mainly need a good "neve-type" preamp...

I know, that the 1081 and 1073 have different amp cards...
and I'm not shure, but I think that the 1073 is more famous for its preamp...
but the 1081 has a more flexible eq...

what do you think about that...??

thanks,
mat
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

1073. If you want a more flexible EQ, the 1084 (not 1081) is the one you want.
Old 13th August 2005
Here for the gear

You may want to consider a Neve 33102 module, it is sort of in between a 1073 and a 1081 (very musical sounding EQ). They are usually out of a Neve 8058-8068 consoles.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal duncan
You may want to consider a Neve 33102 module, it is sort of in between a 1073 and a 1081 (very musical sounding EQ). They are usually out of a Neve 8058-8068 consoles.
That's 31102.
Old 13th August 2005
Here for the gear

That's right 31102. Typo
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
If someone can't get stellar results with a 1081, its because they're a bonehead.
He should obviously get a pair of each!
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
1066, 1073, 1084 = Class 'A' with 3 band EQ and Hi-Pass filter. The 1066 has a fixed top band @ 12K, a mid band with selectable freqs. and a low band with selectable freqs. The 1073 is the same but the toip band is @ 10k. The 1084 is the best of these three in that the top band has a selection of Freqs. instead of just one.

The 1081 is a competely differrent anaimal. I is Class A/B and not quite as full sounding as the channels mentioned above. But I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crakers. It's EQ section is much much more versatile though. First it is Four band. All bands have multiple freqs. You have Shelf or Bell choices for the Hi and lo bands. The mid bands give you two widths of Q. Lastly there are HPF and LPF.

So a combination of the above is always great. I love to track with 1066, 1073, 1084's. But with Drums ewspecially I like to mix on 1081.

Again If I was stuck ANY of the above I'd be happy.
Old 13th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by recorderman
1066, 1073, 1084 = Class 'A' with 3 band EQ and Hi-Pass filter. The 1066 has a fixed top band @ 12K, a mid band with selectable freqs. and a low band with selectable freqs. The 1073 is the same but the toip band is @ 10k.
You got this backwards.

A 1066 can be modified for a 12K top though.

The mid frequencies are different.

The 1073 mid frequencies work better all around than the 1066.

Though the 1066 mid freq selections work great on drums(snares) the 1073 better on vocals.

On the 31102 and the 1084 you have 2 different input transformers(Belclere as compared to Marinair).

That makes them slightly different sonically.

The 31102 is a tad cleaner but not as thick.
Old 13th August 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal duncan
Yes they are usually out of an 8058, 68, or 88 console... and need to have the line input modified so it has one... after that they're basically a 1084 with a much cooler cosmetic.

Now my question for the originator of this thread is "why Neve"? Have you ever tried one? Are you under the impression that it's some magic bullet that will make your recording spring to life?

My take on is that if you have to ask this question you should look around a whole hell of a lot and try a ton of things, Neve stuff included, before you purchase a got damn thing. There are a whole bunch of exceptionally cool other flavors out there that haven't been raised to this legendary status by a bunch of cloners who are trying to make a couple bucks by suckering the uneducated into thinking they're getting a $5,000 piece of history for the low, low price of $1,999-.

If you're looking at real Neve modules then you have to determine if they've been maintained by a competent tech [most haven't], if the switches [which are about 30 years old] are still any good... or if you're getting the new ones you have to figure out why you're spending almost 3 times the amount for an input strip than you really have to.

Yes, they are a "client draw"... but no, they're not the be all-end all of recording. Perfectly excellent records have been made on API stuff with no Neve involvement what so ever. None of at least the first 3 Lenny Kravitz records saw a Neve anything and they sound "vintage" as hell... [I don't know about subsequent records... I stopped listening to his stuff after the third one].

Best of luck with the search.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

The 1095's are the best. Great pre's and the eq is awesome/very flexible.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Was Kravitz using API's on his first three albums? On a nother note, I heard he bought one of EMI TG desks.
Old 13th August 2005
Here for the gear

To paraphrase a Fletcher quote: "Nobody ever walks down the street humming a mic preamp".
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedanger
To paraphrase a Fletcher quote: "Nobody ever walks down the street humming a mic preamp".
yeah but can you put a tune in a rack and stare at it for hours...?
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstudio
Hi,

I'd like to buy a 1081 or a 1073...
I mainly need a good "neve-type" preamp...

I know, that the 1081 and 1073 have different amp cards...
and I'm not shure, but I think that the 1073 is more famous for its preamp...
but the 1081 has a more flexible eq...

what do you think about that...??

thanks,
mat
To answer your question simply. I would go 1073. However, I would buy first a 1084, then a 1073, then a 1081. My two cents. However, if you got the cash, buy a 1073 and a 1081. Use the pre on the 1073 and run it into the 1081 for the EQ section. That's the ultimate.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
Was Kravitz using API's on his first three albums? On a nother note, I heard he bought one of EMI TG desks.
Hey, if you really want to get part of the sound of his first three albums, besides the musicianship, soul and stealing people's songs, buy my wondefully refurbished 3M56 2" 16 trk.

Thrill is absolutely correct on the 1073 v. 1066 question. It's been very helpful on many mixes to be able to add 4.8 khz the vocal.

And while Fletcher is correct in saying that mic pre wise, the API and the Neve are equally musical and useful (at least I hope that's what he said), I find the EQ on the 1073 / 1081 to be much more useful than a 550A.
Old 13th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher

My take on is that if you have to ask this question you should look around a whole hell of a lot and try a ton of things, Neve stuff included, before you purchase a got damn thing. There are a whole bunch of exceptionally cool other flavors out there that haven't been raised to this legendary status by a bunch of cloners who are trying to make a couple bucks by suckering the uneducated into thinking they're getting a $5,000 piece of history for the low, low price of $1,999-.
I do have a lot of time on Neve stuff. And I know what I'm after when I use it. I'm in the process of putting together a mix room for myself and was planning on purchasing a 1073 pair and 1081 pair. My reasoning was that I like the way they distort color on certain things. A vocal for example through a 1073 can be just the thing to fix a badly tracked vocal(which seems to be all I get now to mix) From your experience is there other things out there that can do an equally good job at say fixing a vocal. I know that I sold 4 of my 1073's and purchased some Vintech X81's. For overall general tracking the Vintech works fine. But I started missing my 1073's when I was mixing and went to reach for my Neve vocal sound, and it wasn't there (it wasn't there on any of the other clone stuff either for that matter).
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

You may want to check this out- https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=37420

I'm selling my pairs of 1073s and 1081s- (1079s and 2254s too!) Well maintained by one of the best techs on the east coast.. and racked in Mercenary Ironworks racks...
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
Thrill is absolutely correct on the 1073 v. 1066 question. It's been very helpful on many mixes to be able to add 4.8 khz the vocal. .
jjblair, this is great stuff. The above just gave me a starting point. I've been fooling around with my 1073 on vocals lately and I knew I needed a boost and I was flipping between 4.8 and 3.2. But it took me awhile to get there.

Any other Neve 1073 specific tips and tricks?
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

any truth with this review????Just asking

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/x73ilowdown.html

Quote:
Comparisons to original Neve 1073 units:

In tests between original well-maintained Neve Modules compared to Vintech X73 and X73i units, the Vintech units sounded identical to the Neve units to my ears. When tracks were recorded both simultaneously through a splitter to both a Vintech X73 or X73i and to a Neve module. The resulting tracks were then spliced into varying combinations in DAW, specifically Neundo, back and forth between the two. The final result being that no one was able to detect with any repeatable accuracy either one of the preamps correctly or reliably. They sounded identical. The most important thing about all of Vintech's X Series and 473 is that they are the most like the original Class A Neve Designs in sound.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
any truth with this review????Just asking

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/x73ilowdown.html
About as much truth as:

"I'll respect you in the morning"

"The check's in the mail"

"I won't come in your mouth"

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help"
Old 14th August 2005
I have been lucky enough to be part of some mic pre tests at Ocean Studios were we have tested muliple pres on about 20 different sources. Sometimes using 3 mics per source. Those tests did include among many others Neve 1073/1084/1081 and the Vintech X81's that I own. Not one person in the room could identify the Vintech X81 aginst the Neve 1073 in an A/B/X test. The difference between the 1073, 1084 , and the 1081 were quite noticeable. Most poeple don't realize that a 1073 (class A) and a 1084 (class A), sound just as different from each other as the 1081 (class AB) does. I also see people hold the 1073 pre as the top dog. I just have to disagree. I my opinion I would much rather track a Drum Kit on 1081's then 1073's. In the reverse I would much rather track guitars on 1073's.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

First, I have not directly A/B'd the Chandler against the Neves, but I did feel like the Chandler EQ was not quite as cool. The pre was fine. However, I have A/B'd the Shep against the Neve (since I own both) and the pre is identical. The Shep EQ doesn't have that nice graininess that I like from a Neve, though. The guess has been the capacitors as to the cause of that.

I can't offer any experience with the Vintech, though.

As to Kestral's question, I don't think there's really any "tricks", like say the four button thing on the 1176. However, one of the things that I like about the 1073 is using it on kick. I tend to use the 12k shelf to get that smack that some people get by putting a mic right on the beater. I also find that I really like the sound of the mellow distortion caused when you push the crap out of 110hz or 60hz. It's one of major things digital EQs have not been able to duplicate, and I that I think the Neve does better than anything else.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecprod
Most poeple don't realize that a 1073 (class A) and a 1084 (class A), sound just as different from each other as the 1081 (class AB) does.
If I'm not mistaken, the 1073 and the 1084 have the EXACT same preamp. The difference you heard was either the difference between 2 different manufacturing days or upkeep of either neve.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
If I'm not mistaken, the 1073 and the 1084 have the EXACT same preamp. The difference you heard was either the difference between 2 different manufacturing days or upkeep of either neve.
+100000000 thumbsup
Old 14th August 2005
Quote:
Yes, the preamp section is the same. But since when does the front stage of a ch strip determine the final output. Let me ask you this, have you ever compared a 1073 directly to a 1084? Have you ever compared four different 1073's to four different 1084’s? I'm assuming you haven’t. But if you had you would notice the 1084 is different then the 1073. It has a little more air. Depending on what your tracking might be good or bad. But I will tell you they sound VERY different.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecprod
Yes, the preamp section is the same. But since when does the front stage of a ch strip determine the final output. Let me ask you this, have you ever compared a 1073 directly to a 1084? Have you ever compared four different 1073's to four different 1084’s? I'm assuming you haven’t. But if you had you would notice the 1084 is different then the 1073. It has a little more air. Depending on what your tracking might be good or bad. But I will tell you they sound VERY different.
Testy little fella aren't you? Assume what you like--I have used 1073's and 1084's in the same sessions many times.

Read it and weep....posted by Neve guru Geoff Tanner-----

"The 1084 is simply a 1073 with more features... switchable high frequency, Hi-Q on the mids, and both High pass and low pass filters. The circuit is otherwise identical to the 1073 but the 1073 has none of the extra goodies!"
I'm sure you heard what you heard but these are the facts according to the man.
Micah
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Testy little fella aren't you? Assume what you like--I have used 1073's and 1084's in the same sessions many times.

Read it and weep....posted by Neve guru Geoff Tanner-----

"The 1084 is simply a 1073 with more features... switchable high frequency, Hi-Q on the mids, and both High pass and low pass filters. The circuit is otherwise identical to the 1073 but the 1073 has none of the extra goodies!"
I'm sure you heard what you heard but these are the facts according to the man.
Micah
indie, I agree with you 100%:

1. msrecprod is a testy little fella

2. I own an AMS Neve 1073 and my studio partner owns an AMS Neve 1084. We've put them side by side. With the EQL disengaged they sound EXACTLY the same.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
indie, I agree with you 100%:

1. msrecprod is a testy little fella

2. I own an AMS Neve 1073 and my studio partner owns an AMS Neve 1084. We've put them side by side. With the EQL disengaged they sound EXACTLY the same.
anyone compared 31102 to 1073/1084?
i've heard the 31102 is 'dirtier' than 1084 and i've heard the exact opposite. i've heard a 31102 sounds = to a 1084.

some opinions would be appreciated. thank you.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Addict

Look at API. Brand new stuff that sounds great. DW fearn is also a great pre in my opinion. Neve preamps are legendary and old, and cost a lot. The risk in the purchase is really high, but if you want a historical preamp.... go for it.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
anyone compared 31102 to 1073/1084?
i've heard the 31102 is 'dirtier' than 1084 and i've heard the exact opposite. i've heard a 31102 sounds = to a 1084.

some opinions would be appreciated. thank you.
I have but the problem is we're talking about AMS Neve 1073 and AMS Neve 1084 vs. a vintage 31102 so it's not really an Apples to Apples comparison. Without the EQ, the 31102 sounds a lot darker than the AMS reissues, but it could be due to degradition of the caps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search