The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp: Neve 1073 or 1081 Channel Strips
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Yes they are usually out of an 8058, 68, or 88 console... and need to have the line input modified so it has one... after that they're basically a 1084 with a much cooler cosmetic.

Now my question for the originator of this thread is "why Neve"? Have you ever tried one? Are you under the impression that it's some magic bullet that will make your recording spring to life?

My take on is that if you have to ask this question you should look around a whole hell of a lot and try a ton of things, Neve stuff included, before you purchase a got damn thing. There are a whole bunch of exceptionally cool other flavors out there that haven't been raised to this legendary status by a bunch of cloners who are trying to make a couple bucks by suckering the uneducated into thinking they're getting a $5,000 piece of history for the low, low price of $1,999-.

If you're looking at real Neve modules then you have to determine if they've been maintained by a competent tech [most haven't], if the switches [which are about 30 years old] are still any good... or if you're getting the new ones you have to figure out why you're spending almost 3 times the amount for an input strip than you really have to.

Yes, they are a "client draw"... but no, they're not the be all-end all of recording. Perfectly excellent records have been made on API stuff with no Neve involvement what so ever. None of at least the first 3 Lenny Kravitz records saw a Neve anything and they sound "vintage" as hell... [I don't know about subsequent records... I stopped listening to his stuff after the third one].

Best of luck with the search.
didn't they use old langevin tube pres for "are you gonna go my way"?

i heard they used a langevin tube pre and a fairchild limiter. i forget the signal path? (mic, pre, limiter, tape machine)
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
didn't they use old langevin tube pres for "are you gonna go my way"?

i heard they used a langevin tube pre and a fairchild limiter. i forget the signal path? (mic, pre, limiter, tape machine)
found the answer here

Good mic for a Lenny Kravitz type voice
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Bump for a great information post, maybe the best about classic Neve differences..... I'm miss these old GS days when the posters actually knew what the hell they were talking about.

Fletcher's post was priceless, lol, I miss reading his words.
Old 1st October 2018
Here for the gear

Hi, I'm late, aha.I bought an AMS NEVE 1081, and then I learned that its input/output transformer was very bad, and then learned that it was class AB output.Oh my god.So I would like to ask the masters here, can I change the input/output transformer to improve some sound quality?Can I transform this 1081 into the Microphone Preamps of Class A?
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wang View Post
Hi, I'm late, aha.I bought an AMS NEVE 1081, and then I learned that its input/output transformer was very bad, and then learned that it was class AB output.Oh my god.So I would like to ask the masters here, can I change the input/output transformer to improve some sound quality?Can I transform this 1081 into the Microphone Preamps of Class A?
If you butcher it it'll lose its value. If you truly don't like how it sounds, maybe sell it and buy 1073 or 1084. I wouldn't mod it. If you give it a chance you just may end up liking it.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Hi

Odd... you've only done two posts, two identical posts to this forum.

I asked, in the other post, what you thought was very bad about input and output transformers... an odd question after stumping up the money to buy a 1081.

So I agree with the other poster, sell it and buy a 1084, preferably vintage.

Quote:
Old 1st October 2018
Here for the gear

Geoff_T,Thank you very much for your reply. I have been following the article about NEVE transformer recently.I notice that you are a very warm-hearted friend, and I would like to express my gratitude here.Of course, all the other friends in BBS are very happy to communicate, which is what we like to see, and thank you.I'm a new friend and just signed up.Please take care of us in the future.So to say so to say that I should not change this AMS NEVE 1081, should I sell it and buy VINTAGE 1084?
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Hi

Thank you for the kind words. Oddly enough, there's a guy on Facebook trying to sell two racks of eight AMS-Neve 1081's so I am really not sure what's going on!

Years ago, and I mean 20 years ago, I used to provide kits to convert 1081's into class A but I don't do that any more... that's when I made a living fixing old Neves and instead went over to making my own products.

The 1081 is a very powerful pre amplifier with extensive EQ properties and it's Class A right up to the B340 output stage. Personally I like the sound of the older class A EQ's and the 1084 was the top of that range.

Quote:
Geoff_T,Thank you very much for your reply. I have been following the article about NEVE transformer recently.I notice that you are a very warm-hearted friend, and I would like to express my gratitude here.Of course, all the other friends in BBS are very happy to communicate, which is what we like to see, and thank you.I'm a new friend and just signed up.Please take care of us in the future.So to say so to say that I should not change this AMS NEVE 1081, should I sell it and buy VINTAGE 1084?
Old 14th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Informative thread.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search