The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ULN-2 expanded vs. 002 BLA Signature Audio Interfaces
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Head

ULN-2 expanded vs. 002 BLA Signature

I know we all love to on vs. threads, and instantaneously some will say "these two devices are not comparable etc. etc."

But, in strict terms of sound quality, ignoring the DSP factor, looking only at the A/D D/A and built in preamps, which box sounds better?

Does anybody have experience with both to speak of?
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleaseturtle View Post
I know we all love to on vs. threads, and instantaneously some will say "these two devices are not comparable etc. etc."

But, in strict terms of sound quality, ignoring the DSP factor, looking only at the A/D D/A and built in preamps, which box sounds better?

Does anybody have experience with both to speak of?
bumpity
Old 10th June 2009
Lives for gear

Not heard the BLA 002. My ULN2 preamps w/character compared favorably to my SCA Neve clones, API clones and straight up were not sonically unlike the SCA Hardy clones.
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Maniac
My ULN-2 turned my 003 into a glorified dongle. It's silly how much better it sounds, and the more you start using the features of the MIO console you will fall in love.
The Record Panel is so CPU efficient, that in addition to using in my studio with a Mac Pro, I was able to bust out an ancient iBook with something like 600 mb of ram and have a fully functional mobile rig. I have done film location recording, and have rented a 2882 to combine for a concert, both with rock solid performance. (Recording 10 tracks at once only used about 30% of my ghetto laptop's CPU).
Also, unlike a 002, the ULN-2 will only be improved over time and you will get the best customer support available in the audio industry. (I was on a film shoot and ran into a problem due to a mistake I made with a routing configeration, and within 8 minutes of sending an email asking a question, one of the developers of the product personally responded and told me what I needed to do.)
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Nut

Both are great great upgrades on a stock 002 or 003.

I have high regards for both companies. That said, I'm definitely partial to the whole Metric Halo package.

It also depends which version of the BLA mod you get.

What turned me off to the 002 mod wasn't the sound, but when external wordclocks were being marketed as the great sonic enhancers everyone is missing. That and I used to be a PT/Logic combo guy, and with Logic 8 switchd over to only Logic.

The MIO Console is an absolutely fantastic digital mixer with a great sound, great workflow, innovative features, you name it.

What were you planning on using the ULN-2 for exactly, b/c honestly it really ISN"T just about minute differences of opinion on which "sounds better".
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Head

bump!

would love some opinions on this...

clearly they are very different boxes, and the inclusion of all the DSP processing on the MH stuff sure is nice, but as far as pres/converters/etc. go...
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskolrud View Post
the BLA sig mod has given me a whole new interface...
I sure hope so, I gave the BLA tweakhead a spin, really its nothing to write home about, the lows were very nice but found myself having a butt load of mids and highs to get a "decent" sound. Live and Learn....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search