The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ecoplate III vs. New School
Old 12th August 2005
Ecoplate III vs. New School

Just wondering what people's experience is with lesser vintage plates such as an Ecoplate III. This model was a low-end, smaller 4 X 6 foot copy of an EMT140 once the EMT patents expired. Do any experienced ears have a take on something like this vs. Altiverb, KSP-8, UAD facsimiles? I have heard well tuned plates that are better than these digital copies, but I don't want to buy an Ecoplate III for $700 and be severely let down when my Altiverb 140 IR is passable for some applications. These Ecoplate IIIs were pre-tuned at the factory, and I'm not sure that they are as tweakable as far as tuning is concerned, either...
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have an Ecoplate II with the upgraded pickups, that I also got for like $700. I also have Altiverb, and my favorite patch on that is the Wendy Carlos EMT140 plate. The Ecoplate not only sounds better, it's more flexible. If you can part with the dough, grab it. Just make sure it is tuned properly. I didn't touch the tuning on mine and we just moved it very carefully. If it sounds like crap, it's probably the tuning and not the system.
Old 14th January 2011
Here for the gear

This post is super old, but I have to say that the Altiverb plate IRs don't do it for me. I have never used an EMT, but I like the Ecoplates I have used better than Altiverb
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Guru

I've never heard a plate algo come close to the real thing. Lots of plugs and emulations of eq's and comps are fairly close these days, but plate sims fall way short and I'm including the outboard stuff in this opine.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

I have a I and a III, and have worked with a II in the distant past. The III is good for shorter decay times, and when damped fully down sounds like a combo between chorus and tight room ambience. On occasion I'll use the wet signal only with it. It gets used with higher tempo tracks for vocals, otherwise as secondary ambience for guitars, keys and percussion. The I doesn't do short as well, but does a great dense rich long decay. It gets used as primary vocal reverb in most cases, or for everything when it's an open and slower tempo track. I'd hate to be without either one.
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

resurrecting, cause my ecoplate 1 is arriving tomorrow! but i´m yet to figure out how much work and love it needs... very excited though!
Old 22nd February 2016
I've got an Audicon The Plate. Soon to have two. Those are pretty great, and quite affordable. Big, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search