The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Modernizing Studio : SSL, Outboard and ProTools
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Modernizing Studio : SSL, Outboard and ProTools

Hi Slutz worldwide,

Like to know from your opinion and perspektif.

Few days ago, I met a person who has 5 studios.
This man really big in his era (70's-80-s), he ran his own label and producing 10 album almost every months.
Now, the era is little bit shifting to major industries, since SONY, BMG and others start their investment in our country (last 80's or early 90's).
So,
This person ask me if I could help him to modernize studio, so I went to his studio and I blew up....
3 SSL desk, 4000 E. two of 'em total recall type. I think the 4056 and 4032.
But, it seems not maintenced well.
The acoustic is not very well, the tracking room/ISO very small. I think I wont book the studio for drum tracking etc.
He bought PT HD3 few months ago, it instaled in studio A (SSL 4032 E) but his tech eng could not sync'd with SSL for locating, playback etc. So he cannot maximize the SSL's automation when mixing.
The Air Conditioning very bad, humid and I dont think it's a healty environment to work in long hours.
There's no much outboard like preamp, compresor. But very much options for reverbs gears.
The Owner wants his studio Life again and availiable to rent. He already met A&R and Producers and also Major Label peoples, and he said he will get contracted if he can modernize his studio to meet various type of music.

I sugest the owner for move to a know location and build the studio from the groundup and built a new concept. He agree for some reasons but maybe for next 2 years. He ask me to choose 1 studio to upgrade.
So, I choose the 4056 E room to focus on. because it has better room plan and the biggest CR size.
I'm planning to put HD Accle in this room.

The gear list would be (from their inventory list) :
1. 4 Units old SONY Reverb, I forget the type : D7 or R7?
2. 2 Units Lex 480L with LARC
3. 1 Unit Yamaha Rev 5
4. 1 x Klark teknik Reverb (I forget the type)
5. 1 x Summit DCL200
6. 2 X Amek 9098 Series
7. TubeTech CL1B
8. 1 x Focusrite Red-1
9. Furman headphones Pre Amp.
10 2 x 192 I/O with 8DA expander (total 16 ins and 24 outs)
11. Studer CDRW (I Forget the type)
12. TSCAM DA40MKII
13 STUDER 2" tape machine (Iforget the type, A827 or so)

I'd like to add some digital gear:
1. to add more outputs for toal 40 outs the option will be :
Prism or DA16X with X HD Card
2. I'm not really sure to add Apogee Big Ben for Master Clock? How you guys think?
3. For 2 Track AD/DA Rosetta 800 192K or LavryBlue
4. For 2 Track Master option : Alesis Masterlink
5. Digidesign Sync I/O for Sycronizing PT with other gears. (what the best sync for SSL-PT-analog 2"?)
6. Digideisgn MIDI I/O for Midi works.

For Outboard :
1. Pre Amp
I'm focusing on Vocal tracking and Gtr Overdub (El and ACC) BAss overdub etc.
So my friends and infos on gearslutz : I've to looking for : neve1173 Clone, Manley Vox Box. What do you think?
2. because the studio will be (mainly) Mix type studio, I'd like to add EQ and Comp for colorization.
How about :
1. Tubetech PE 1
2. Manley Massive Passive
3. Vintech
4. Distressor EL8X
5. Purple Audio MC77
6. Universal Audio 1176LN
7. Universal Audio LA2A
8. Manley Pultec
9. dbx 160XT/X still available from their factory? I don's see them in their website.
10. what else guys?
11. Avalon ?
12. Crane Song

Microphone :
As I Mentioned above, the studio will be vocal overdub, gtr, bass overdub only or jobs that need no large room/diffuse room. Currently, they have 5 Neumann U87 and 1 AKGC12VR, 2 MD421, 2 Shure SM57.

So to9 meet client's requirements, music type, vocal type....

Should I add :
Neumann M149 for Vocal Overdub
Charter Oak
Royer R122
Shure SM7B
AKG C414 TLII
What About SONY C800, Sony still produce it?
Do I need Ribbon Mics?

Monitoring :
My friend sugest me to add ADAM "S" for near field and for accompanying current Genelec1031. I personally love Yamaha MSP10.
I'll contact ADAM Dealer here to make a demo. Do you have any sugest?

I also will contact acoustician in my area to facelifting the studio and minor treatment for the room, and speaker tuning.

Do you have any opinions? Critics? Sugestion?
Do I miss something?

Please......advice
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Not that my post will be any help, but that a pretty cool situation to be in for you. I've been doing BS planning with this kind of stuff for years. All kinds of crazy setups, schematics, all that good stuff. It's pretty awesome that you're getting to actually put that type of stuff to work.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Guru

i would send the C12VR to Innertube Audio and have it modded ... will be more world class if you do ....

he also has U87 mods that can make them tube mics ....

sounds like a great position to be in ... enjoy and happy gear slutting

as far as the sync between the PT / SSL / 2" .... you will need a Lynx One for the 2" and another Lynx (not sure of model) for PT adn SSL ...

there are others on this forum that are more knowledable on the sync boxes ... just my .02

peace

john
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

If you get the Digi Sync i/o and any midi interface, then you can use a 2TOOLS interface to make the SSL drive it just like a tape machine. It works great. thumbsup
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192
as far as the sync between the PT / SSL / 2" .... you will need a Lynx One for the 2" and another Lynx (not sure of model) for PT adn SSL ...
John,
Thank you for your suggest, especially for C12VR and U87 mod. I'll searching knowledge for this...

LynxOne is a PCI soundcard right? Not Sync Device?

I'm waiting full gear listing from the owner this noon, I'll update the list if there are any gear add.

whew, I'm thinking to make the SSL tobe summing box for PT....
Old 19th March 2006
Gear Head

Adam Monitors

As far as monitors go, the Adam's are excellent. The P11A's which are the less expensive model are brilliant and are more revealing than most other nearfield monitors in that price range, having said that they can be a bit harsh for some tastes but this is not a bad thing when mixing down a track because it allows the engineer to hear problems straight away.

If you wanted to spend a bit more then the Miller & Kriesel MPS1611P monitors are also avery good choice and are a bit less harsh than the Adam's.

All the Best.

Andrew
www.soundtools.co.uk
Old 20th March 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph
I also will contact acoustician in my area to facelifting the studio and minor treatment for the room, and speaker tuning.
if the room isn't working, i'd put that as no.1 priority.

all the other stuff (and you're considering some nice stuff) is icing on the cake.

Quote:
2. I'm not really sure to add Apogee Big Ben for Master Clock? How you guys think?
if you get 16X it already has Big Ben in there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search