The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outboard Analog Delay(Bucket Brigade Style) on Sends? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

BBD's, Yamaha E-1005 which is good for many effects in addition to a nice short/medium delay. Rockman delay/chorus, I like as a doubler best. Maxon AD-999, dark and beautiful, from slap to UFO with a few twists. Love the Diamond memory lane as well (Any Diamond Pedal, lush analog sounds, great company).

Alternative- Strymon is fantastic-you'll be fooled into believing it's analog and you'll have so much fun you won't care that it isn't .
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
Because it's specifically about analog non-tape delays.

I have a yamaha e1010 that I use and love to death. Never felt the need to mod the delay time. Amazing modulation as well.

Would love an echorec though.
???, where in the original post does it say "NOT" about tape delays?, not to mention the echorec is NOT a tape delay
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycamp View Post
???, where in the original post does it say "NOT" about tape delays?, not to mention the echorec is NOT a tape delay
It's not in there verbatim, but pretty obvious when reading the post.
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
It's not in there verbatim, but pretty obvious when reading the post.
Thanx thread monitor , but, even if you believe the OP said that??, a Binson Echorec is NOT a tape echo For clarification, it's also very rare, and maybe more coveted than any of the other analog delay mentioned or available,...which makes it a "high end", "analog delay", right on topic
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanx thread monitor (...)
*plonk*
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
*plonk*
cheers
Merry Xmass
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

One of the coolest bb delays that I have found is the Ibanez AD-230.

This person that was selling one on ebay sums it up well below!

THE SOUND IS UNREAL, AND I BELIEVE THE HOLY GRAIL OF ALL BUCKET BRIGADE ANALOG DELAYS EVER MADE. YES I WOULD EASILY PUT IT AGAINST THE MOOG MF-104, MF-104Z, MF-104SD. AS IT DOES NOT GRIT OUT, AND THE BUFFER KILLS ON THIS. THE MODULATION IS KICK ASS AND RIVALS THE EH DELUXE MEMORY MAN, AND I KNOW AS I HAD A PRISTINE ORIGINAL VINTAGE DMM. HANDS DOWN THE BEST FLANGER I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED AND CHORUS IS BEYOND RICH. THIS IS NOT A CHEESY DIGITAL MODELER LIKE THE STRYMON STUFF.

REPEATS HAVE A UNIQUE QUALITY IN THAT THERE IS NEVER OSCILLATION EVEN WHEN THE REPEATS ARE FULLY MAXED OUT.
YOU CAN DO OVERDUBING W/O WORRYING ABOUT SOME CRAZY ARTIFACT.

THE BUILT IN BUFFER IS SO SO WARM, AND WILL DO AMAZING THINGS FOR YOUR TONE. JUST PLUGGING INTO THE UNIT WILL WIDEN YOUR TONE.
THE REPEATS OF THE DELAYS ARE FAT BEYOND BELIEF, AND HAVE A HEAVY WEIGHTED QUALITY. THE REPEATS DECAY IN A MANNER THAT DOES NOT INTERFER WITH YOUR PLAYING. IT IS EASILY TWEAKED AND VERY RESPONSIVE.

18 PANASONIC MN3004 CHIPS!!

MOST GOOD ANALOG PEDALS HAVE 1 OF THESE, GREAT ONES HAVE 2 THIS HAS 18!!!
REMEMBER A DMM HAS 2 MN3005 CHIPS! THIS MACHINE CRUSHES THAT.

THE MODULATION IS SPECTACULAR, AND CAN BE BRILLIANTLY SUBTLE OR TOTALLY SCI-FI.

THE FLANGING IS THE BEST I HAVE EVER HEARD.

DESTROYS THE STRYMON ECHOS, AND EVERYTHING UNDER 2000.

THE ONLY THING IN MY RACK THAT REPLACES IT IS THE EVENTIDE H8000FW, AND IT STILL SOUNDS THIN IN COMPARISON TO THE CHEWYNESS THIS EXHIBITS.

I HAVE HAD EH DELUXE MEMORY MAN, STRYMON TIMELINE, TREX REPLICA, KORG SDD3000, KORG AD8000, ROLAND RE-501, IBANEZ AD-220.
Attached Thumbnails
Outboard Analog Delay(Bucket Brigade Style) on Sends?-ibanez-ad-230.jpg  
Old 25th December 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-brigade_device

Whenever I see the word analog delay I think bucket brigade, as opposed to tape or whatever the storage on the binson is. I always thought there was a loop inside that tin, but I see I'm mistaken.
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

There is something extremely cool about our DOD rackmount analog delay. Its dirty and blends extremely well on anything.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Interesting: I was just posting about these two in another thread.

Two units that are regularly affixed to my pedal board but get patched in when mixing, too:

1. Diamond Memory Lane (original or II). Bucket-brigade. I think it's the best analog delay pedal currently made, but there's a glut of good ones, so others will differ. Analog from input to output, but digitally-controlled, so you get a lot of control over tempo, oscillation and feedback, modulation, and so forth.

2. Strymon El Capistan. It's technically digital, I suppose, but it's great-sounding and is a tweaker's delight. Does a lot of things. Some parameters are "under-the-hood" (you gotta hold down multiple pedals to get access to them), but it's a pretty intuitive device.

Best of luck.
D.
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Guru

The Yamaha E1010 is the way to go. I foolisly sold mine for pennies a few years ago. It was unbalanced and -10dB. What an idiot. I should have just bought one of those -10 to +4 - unbalanced to balanced boxes and purchased a second one,.,,,,,,,

Nothing quite like a bucket brigade analog delay - like doing multiple tape bounces - in real time heh heh, and IMO the yamaha was the pinnacle of vibey-ness and analog delay-ness. I'd be interested to hear the new Moog though....
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
Bucket-brigade device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whenever I see the word analog delay I think bucket brigade, as opposed to tape or whatever the storage on the binson is. I always thought there was a loop inside that tin, but I see I'm mistaken.
The old Cooper Time Cube was an "analog" delay, pretty much a long garden hose with mic on one end and speaker on the other (with lots of EQ...

JR
Old 30th January 2013
I have an MXR blue faceplate 2u rackmount which says "Digital Delay" but doesn't sound it.... It sounds great and has lovely modulation with in/out phase switching so it can do thick phasey mod or thinner flanger-type mod. I use it on synths quite a bit.

I also have a Binson Baby Echorec which is amazing but laughably noisy so I have to track it and treat it as best I can. Unique thing though. Otherwise Sound Toys is the way.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear
Resurrecting a thread… I have the E1010 and the 1005 from Yamaha-the 1010 uses 5 BBD chips for 300 msec, and advertises a 2k frequency response at that range. The Ibanez AD230 (which I don't own) advertises 300 msec at 2.5k, and goes out to 600 msec at 1.3k. To put all this in perspective, the ML2, DM2, EHX and so on use a single 4096 stage BBD (MN3005) for 300-400 msec (or two chips for 600 msec), which should work out to a frequency response of about 650-700 Hz… Naturally on keys, for example, any BBD based delay is going to be dark!
Old 1st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
Resurrecting a thread… I have the E1010 and the 1005 from Yamaha-the 1010 uses 5 BBD chips for 300 msec, and advertises a 2k frequency response at that range. The Ibanez AD230 (which I don't own) advertises 300 msec at 2.5k, and goes out to 600 msec at 1.3k. To put all this in perspective, the ML2, DM2, EHX and so on use a single 4096 stage BBD (MN3005) for 300-400 msec (or two chips for 600 msec), which should work out to a frequency response of about 650-700 Hz… Naturally on keys, for example, any BBD based delay is going to be dark!
BBD delays are organic and lush on guitars, synths and as additional efx on anything else. Today 35$ Chinese digital pedal will sound cleaner with full frequency range, but that's definitely not the point.
There is nothing that replicates AD230, no pedal or several of them, as that unique design of the past was engineered as state of the art. In current money they would cost more than 5000$ new and it was era when new digital delays costed even more, as their extended frequency range was considered as progress.
AD230 is ridiculously rare these days, but still one of the few best ever made rack delays or as some say 'holy grail'.

Last edited by GYang; 2nd February 2015 at 08:51 AM..
Old 25th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
BBD delays are organic and lush on guitars, synths and as additional efx on anything else. Today 35$ Chinese digital pedal will sound cleaner with full frequency range, but that's definitely not the point.
There is nothing that replicates AD230, no pedal or several of them, as that unique design of the past was engineered as state of the art. In current money they would cost more than 5000$ new and it was era when new digital delays costed even more, as their extended frequency range was considered as progress.
AD230 is ridiculously rare these days, but still one of the few best ever made rack delays or as some say 'holy grail'.
The ad230
Is cool. When I moved to Fargo I found one in a pawn shop here for 70 bucks. Sold it a year later for a grand. Was really just stuck on my korg sdd 3000 to get all excited about the ibanez. I just got the ad202 today and have to say I'm far more impressed with it than the 230. But hey YMMV. They all serve a purpose in someone's musical world.
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Head

I love Watkins delays. They sounds great.

I can remember that once I used a Pioneer '90s cassette recorder making a tape slap delay, I have to say it sounded good too!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search