The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1176 settings for punchy rock snare?
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

No compressor! Tell the drummer to play evenly (only if it was that simple) and your snare will be a lot more uhhh punchy. Compressor = anti punch usually. A transient designer or plugin that attempts the same thing will probably get you what you are wanting faster than the compressor and will also allow you to compress the snare without loosing punch.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz
Compressor = anti punch usually.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz
Compressor = anti punch usually. A transient designer or plugin that attempts the same thing will probably get you what you are wanting faster than the compressor and will also allow you to compress the snare without loosing punch.
You lost me on that one.
Old 14th August 2005
My 2 cents:

When mixing snares i like the 3 button trick on the original 1176's.

But these days i like the 2 button trick on the Purple MC77's(which is what i use most of the time) when mixing snares.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

i'll also chime in with a vaguely relevant point: unlike kick and snare, i believe it IS advantageous to do some light (slow attack 1-2db low ratio) compression on overheads before hitting tape.

somehow, compressing overheads after tape is never quite as satisfactory.

regarding the 1176 attack thing, i find the difference between 7 o'clock slowest and, say, noon on the dial to be dramatic. this is true even on the uad plug, the differences are very much there. and for the record, the blue tubes cp2s actually does the 1176 'pop' quite credibly, whereas the uad 1176 does not, it's too squishy.

the real 1176 is so damn fast that anything past 8 o'clock attack just kills the drum. which, of course, is a very good thing for parallel compression on the drum sub. all buttons in, attack & release full fast, UTTER PANCAKE. add syrup and butter to taste.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

I recently printed "all buttons" on a jazz(!!!) snare. Meter barely twitching with brushes, pinned on normal hits. Sounded quite awful and scary on its own, but perfectly complemented the OH sound, which brings me to my point: THAT sound is the combination of a squashed-to-bits snare and a great, dynamic OH sound.
Don't be put off by the single tracks' sound, go for the big picture!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search