The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thermionic Culture Pullet into Rooster? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 6th June 2009
Gear Addict
Thermionic Culture Pullet into Rooster?

Hi there, does anyone actually have a PULLET plugged into a ROOSTER?

someone mentioned that it will WORK, and several ones were praising pullet into the earlybird, but... a rooster is half the price, so... anyone?
Old 7th June 2009
STJ
Gear Addict

Although I currently do not have either unit in my possession, I've owned and worked with both of them extensively in the past and was more than pleased with the results. I found the Rooster by itself to be more than sufficient for tracking purposes. The Access Virus was never really my cup of tea, however it really came to life through the Rooster. When combined with the Pullet, I had the flexibility to dial in a mix and/or creatively EQ in ways that the Rooster simply wasn't capable of. In the end, it really depends on your personal taste and how you prefer to work. Even without the Pullet, my favorite trick of the Rooster was to run a mix through it, leave all EQ bands flat and then set one channel on Triode and the other on Pentode just before leaving about -4db for the mastering engineer. Just insert and go. Your ears and the stereo width of your mix will experience instant gratification with minimal effort, literally.
Old 7th June 2009
Gear Addict
i already have a rooster and will try that triode/pentode trick for sure, thanks...

i think about using a rooster/pullet combo while tracking synths and mixing... so did you compare tracking through the rooster alone and through the combo? is the 40dB gain drop/rise harming signal quality in any way?
Old 20th December 2010
I own both, and they're among my favourite units. The Rooster is probably my favourite out of everything I got.
They run well together no doubt. Havent tried the Early Bird so cant really compare.

The Pullet runs well into any reasonably low noise pre anyway, great unit!

R
Old 21st December 2010
I only own the Pullet, and it works fabulously with a Chandler TG2, so I am sure it would also sound great with the Rooster!
Old 22nd December 2010
GSF
Gear Addict
That's interesting, I've tried running a mix through my Rooster, and while I like what it did with the top end, it seemed to lose a lot of bottom..seems to work on a drum buss, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
Although I currently do not have either unit in my possession, I've owned and worked with both of them extensively in the past and was more than pleased with the results. I found the Rooster by itself to be more than sufficient for tracking purposes. The Access Virus was never really my cup of tea, however it really came to life through the Rooster. When combined with the Pullet, I had the flexibility to dial in a mix and/or creatively EQ in ways that the Rooster simply wasn't capable of. In the end, it really depends on your personal taste and how you prefer to work. Even without the Pullet, my favorite trick of the Rooster was to run a mix through it, leave all EQ bands flat and then set one channel on Triode and the other on Pentode just before leaving about -4db for the mastering engineer. Just insert and go. Your ears and the stereo width of your mix will experience instant gratification with minimal effort, literally.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF View Post
That's interesting, I've tried running a mix through my Rooster, and while I like what it did with the top end, it seemed to lose a lot of bottom..seems to work on a drum buss, though.
I agree. While I love the Rooster to bits, I wouldnt use it on the stereo bus. But of course, as with all things, just try it out for yourself.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear
4 year bump!

4 years later and this is my exact setup, as I'm running a Pullet > Rooster. I swapped out a UA 4-710 to install the Rooster for makeup gain. Unfortunately my noise floor has raised considerably -- hiss and hum just above palatable levels. The hiss I understand, the hum seems too much. I'm not sure if it's the 40db drop the Pullet takes, but I tried inserting the UA before the Rooster to get some clean boost -- didn't help enough. Also tried removing the Pullet, not much help either. I've been trying this on the mix buss, and the rooster is the balanced version.

Any advice out there? How do people power into colorful tube units without a ton of noise? or is this a timeless riddle?
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

1 more year bump!

hehe, I got a Rooster like 6 months ago, and have not used it yet too much, my bad... These day´s i do not track as often as i mix. But i just got a Pullet, and tomorrow i´m gonna put the 2 together. i have run mixes through the Rooster and no hum here, just some more hiss when i push the attitude but i expected that. If i don´t run it to hot and the attitude is in 1, the eq sounds very nice. Any more thoughts on this thermionic match ??
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
Valve units will always 'hiss' more than even half competent semiconductor units, it is the nature of the beast, however the HUM issue is different altogether. Depending on exact details some valve units will hum due to design or poorly 'hum balanced' valves, the requirements were often a bit more relaxed 'in the day'.
NONE should hum due to cabling issues which is down to basic studio 'etiquette'.
A unit that 'drops' 40dB is never going to be good for signal/noise although units such as FET comp/ lims and 'diode bridge' comp/ lims seem to be popular.
Matt S
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear
just FYI I gave up trying the rooster on the 2 buss. it just didn't work, even after fixing the hum and hiss (put in balancing transformers and new tubes). it was just way too much color for a 2 buss, it was a crazy fight for clarity. I've since moved it to it's own buss and use it for a lot of processing and tracking. it's an awesome piece but it can't do everything. it might work in parallel tho. that pullet tho -- it's never leaving my 2!
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

the rooster input impedance is probably slightly too low, ideally you would see 1.2k ohm. in reality this is most likely a non issue, i've sometimes played with various impedances for even more creative eq'ing with the Pullet, super unit!
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
Valve units will always 'hiss' more than even half competent semiconductor units, it is the nature of the beast, however the HUM issue is different altogether. Depending on exact details some valve units will hum due to design or poorly 'hum balanced' valves, the requirements were often a bit more relaxed 'in the day'.
NONE should hum due to cabling issues which is down to basic studio 'etiquette'.
A unit that 'drops' 40dB is never going to be good for signal/noise although units such as FET comp/ lims and 'diode bridge' comp/ lims seem to be popular.
Matt S
my rooster hum issue was solved by moving the transformers away from the PSU, so they're both on the left side. the 40 db drop doesn't add noise when amped properly. well worth it, as the pullet is one of those pieces that makes you want to cry when it's off, which is usually by mistake..
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
Quote:
[ the 40 db drop doesn't add noise when amped properly. well worth it, as the pullet is one of those pieces that makes you want to cry when it's ]
Unquote.

It may appear pedantic but dropping level and then using a 40dB gain amplifier WILL add some noise, HOWEVER the noise added may be less than you already had in your system so may go unnoticed.
Obviously it was fine in your case but something to be borne in mind if you are treating other 'sources' which are very low noise.
Matt S
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

some real world numbers:

da ad loop into valve pre, unity gain, line input: -80dbfs

da ad loop into pullet, 40db gain, mic input: - 80dbfs

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search