The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UM70S available anywhere?
Old 22nd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob61 View Post
I love my pair of MG UM-70S, but with all this discussion, I'm not sure which version I have. It is called the UM-70S P48.

Shortly after the fall of the Berlin wall, ads started to appear claiming the original Neumann plant, having been behind the iron curtain, was still operating as Microtech Gefell. The ads claimed they were still hand making M7 capsules, as used in the U-47, and now these mics could be purchased in the USA. It was called the Microtech Gefell UM-70S. They came in wooden boxes and included their own separate shock mounts. The only disappointing thing about these mics are the shock mounts. The bird cage design does not clasp the microphones tightly enough. There is a rubber pad inside that is supposed to grasp the mics, but it is not sticky enough and if you turn the mic upside down in it (as with a Blumlein setup), it will fall right out. However, I'm very pleased with everything else about these mics. The printing on the mics (with the MG logo and the company name) was simply silk screened on the metal casing, so it wears off with use. The actual mic model and serial number is engraved on the bottom of the mic where it accepts an XLR cable.

I asked to purchase a "matched pair". I got two with consecutive serial numbers, but I don't think the factory ever actually matched up mics by testing to be honest. However, I've used these as stereo pairs in both XY Coincident and Blumlein and they sound fantastic. I've also used them on singers, both male and female, with wonderful results. Each is patten selectable with omni, figure 8, and cardiod which you select by turning the ring at the bottom of the capsule.

I was always surprised that these didn't catch on more. I got my pair when they were first being marketing in the US. I have a vintage Telefunken U-47, and while I wouldn't say these sound the same, there is a certain quality about them that is reminiscent of the U-47 perhaps due to the capsule.

So, are my UM-70S P48 with a transformer or transformerless? Either way I'm happy. They are quiet, and sound great. I wouldn't change a thing about the mics, just maybe a better shock mount.

Jealousy

There are some shock mounting options available for these. I use the EA20 often. The AT84 is nice, and I like the Josephson HK12 Rubber Clip the best. It's not a shock though.
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Old 23rd May 2010
Gear maniac

hi rob61 - let's make the guys jealous ;-)

these are my pair of UM70s in beautiful black, also the (older) version with an output transformer. I've purchased them in Germany in the year 1992.
In 2005 they were sent back to Gefell for a service and both mics got a filter-modification for a better HF-immunity, because I had some trouble with interference in my house. You can see the extension at the XLR connector - Perfectly done.
I often considered to sell one of them, because I don't use both at the same time - Not sure to do that... don't want to separate a mic pair which I love so much

Old 23rd May 2010
sorry for the sloppy pic.
heh

love love love these things
fave of the lead singer (female - strong voice) too
Attached Thumbnails
UM70S available anywhere?-gefell.jpg  
Old 18th August 2011
Gear interested

Microtech Gefell UM70 S P48

Here's another one...

Microtech Gefell UM70 S P48

Funky Shockmount via Guitar Center.
Liking those matched pair pics!...A matched pair would be pretty sweet!

Hey all I'm pretty new to this mic...would love to hear what your using it for and what your running it with?
I'm using it primarily for vocals and some guitar work.
Old 25th August 2011
Gear nut

How does the vintage UM70 compare the UM70s? I've heard the signal-to-noise ratio is better on the UM70s, but I take it the character is still the same?
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

One more pair...

TheHEavy, note the serial numbers are pretty close to yours!

Old 1st September 2011
Gear interested

wow those are close in number to mine....
Nice pair. I'd love to have a stereo pair someday.

What do you mostly use yours for?
I use mine for vocals with a BAE 1073MPF
Do you know what year those are?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHEavy View Post
wow those are close in number to mine....
Nice pair. I'd love to have a stereo pair someday.

What do you mostly use yours for?
I use mine for vocals with a BAE 1073MPF
Do you know what year those are?
I use mine for all kinds of sources. Vocals obviously, some acoustic guitars, drum overheads, room mics, clean guitar amps...it goes on and on...

I was told that they are from 1991, but I have not confirmed that...

Z
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does the vintage UM70 compare the UM70s? I've heard the signal-to-noise ratio is better on the UM70s, but I take it the character is still the same?
Do you mean um T 70? Not sure if mine has the S or not, now that I think about it...the guy I bought it from was using some little contraption on it to cut the RFI noise...made no diff in my basement studio, so I never bought one.

I can speak to having a UM70s (vintage) and an having used a umT70s...the transformerless new ones sound like unimpressive butt comparatively. They sound similar--in the way a U87AI sounds similar to U87i...but not the same in the most important ways. Both "decent" middy workhorse mics...neither touches the old ones' sound, IME.

I don't know--I wouldn't think the transformer is making the diff...though it could be...I'll tell you this--I paid Korby to clean up my old capsule rather than take it anywhere else, because all of them said they'd just swap in a new M7 cap. So, I don't know how a "new" built UM70s will compare. Maybe I was just paranoid...

Anyway...love mine. But, it's a niche thing for me--vocals...and guitar amps (mostly distance mic'd). It doesn't really sound very good on my Yamaha piano or Taylor acoustic...SM81s handle those. Sounds alright on the Leslie, but I'd need a second...and I just don't care that much. Rather put that money into a second 121. Or whiskey. Or whatever...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search