The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundreplacer on OH's..
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Soundreplacer on OH's..

Anyone ever used soundreplacer for OH's? If so what were the results?

Yes..the heat's getting to me.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ummmmmm ... is this a trick question?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

How do you replace everthing?
Do it over again???
Matti
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Is this the same guy that wants to know how to Auto Tune when he doesn't know the key to the song?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Re Re Cord.

If you are at that point, I would cut the drums again... BUT CUT THEM FLAT, with NO Compression, NO EQ, and NO DISTORTION/CLIPPING. Place the mics the best you can, and make sure there is no clipping. That would probably be a good place for you to start. Good Luck!! thumbsup
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Sure You could play with pads and with BFD or DFH and get some supricingly good results and have control over micing by chancing parametres acordingly.
( Sorry my English is slobby )
Matti
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Once i had to use Drumagog on Overheads. Gave me a very controlled
ducking of the snare on the OH tracks. Someone compressed them
during tracking kinda-sort-of-way-too-much....
Well, you can even use two instances connected via sidechain...

Hmm, i´m slightly off-topic....Had no coffee yet....

As far as replacing cymbals goes, i love to replace them before hitting
the "red one".

Time to make coffee!
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I suppose you could cut out each element and make seperate channels with cut snare hits, tom hits, ect, and then use them for replacement.
Then use the overs for a blend of the real stuff.
It would be time consuming, and might sound pretty fake, but it could be done.

If you're talking about replacing cymbals only that's pretty rough.
Old 10th August 2005
One with big hooves

Sounds like someone needs to get the drummer back in the room and start over...
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

I was just thinking about it.

I have no need for it. But I was thinking, if your overheads were just being used for cymbals and you had mic'd everything else, but you had this really crappy room sound in the OH's, how bad would it be to soundreplace them?

I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon though. Good drummers is something I seem to know a lot of.

Just thinking.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

I've never SR'ed OH, but I have SR'ed a snare with an OH sample. I suppose you could do it with everything. Try it. Don't be ascared. I've been trying (what I think is)crazy stuff lately with good results.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyPeru
I've never SR'ed OH, but I have SR'ed a snare with an OH sample. I suppose you could do it with everything. Try it. Don't be ascared. I've been trying (what I think is)crazy stuff lately with good results.
I've had to SR Kick and Snares on a 2 mix once. How's that for crazy?

Also many times I've mixed drum tracks that sound great but the crashes lack sparkle and sustain. When compression, EQ and fader riding doesn't work, I've found it helpful to align the SRed crashes with the OH's.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

I got drumagog on the group buy that was going on best $175.00 I ever spent SR sucks sold it for more than I paid for Drumagog.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've triggered snare from overheads with good results. Took a bit of editing but made the drums sound a lot better.
Old 12th August 2005
I always like to put a trigger on the kick and snare when tracking. A lot of engineers turn thier nose up and refuse to do it when I say that but I have also heard each one of them regret it later or not get the sound they were looking for after the drummer left.

Kicks trigger perfectly but snares are a bit harder to get right with ghost hits. Even though they might not be 100%, some nudging and editing can make it work well. There is nothing nicer than having a perfectly aligned MIDI track running along with your kick and snare just for the off chance that you might want to add in a sample to add something that was missing or even replace the real ones completely.

I know, I know... take the time and record it right the first time. I agree and do, BUT... you never know what is going to happen and sometimes you come back the next day and dont like the sound or you find that it doesnt work right in the mix (metal especially). It hurts nothing to have it there even if 99% of the time you dont use it. Might as well cover your ass.
Old 12th August 2005

SRing the OHs is basically reprogramming the whole kit from the foundations, which is totally possible, but really a manual job, extremely sample heavy and reasonably tedious. I usually approach that kind of editing with groove extraction rather than SR/aptrigga/drumagog.. You can obviously keep any other elements of your initial kit recording like this. One of the most important details of this is extremely accurate sample start point preparation.
📝 Reply