The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much differnce is there between..
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

How much differnce is there between..

.. the Great River MP-4M and the MP-2NV soundwise?

I had the 2NV and plan on getting it back, unless the MP4M is as good. I'd love to have 4 channels of that.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC11
.. the Great River MP-4M and the MP-2NV soundwise?

I had the 2NV and plan on getting it back, unless the MP4M is as good. I'd love to have 4 channels of that.
Did you love the NV & set it free? it should come back! heh
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

So does that mean I should get the 2NV instead of the 4m

It wasn't so much "set it free". More like hired to tour with a band and lost my ass off in a big freakin way and am now having to start over with all my gear.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

As far as I know (I don't own them), they are different. The 2NV is a versatile mic pre based on the neve 1073 being able of getting cleaner than the 1073 or colourful. And the MP-4 is a "clean-transparent-reference” family mic pre preferred for acoustic instruments recording.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman
As far as I know (I don't own them), they are different. The 2NV is a versatile mic pre based on the neve 1073 being able of getting cleaner than the 1073 or colourful. And the MP-4 is a "clean-transparent-reference” family mic pre preferred for acoustic instruments recording.

ditto
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Guru

I've got an MP2M and I love it. It's clean and big but not boring at all. I've never met a guitar sound, acoustic or electric that didn't benefit from the GR MP2H. The MP4H is the same, only double.
Old 9th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
I've got an MP2M and I love it. (snip) The MP4H is the same, only double.
You sure about that???
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
You sure about that???
I don't think thats right either, thats why I asked. I think I most likely will get the 2 though.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC11
I don't think thats right either, thats why I asked. I think I most likely will get the 2 though.

Careful, DC11. You didn’t ask that. I suppose you confuse the models.

You asked about “4M” vs. “2NV” and not “2MH” vs. “4MH” or “4M”

I don’t remember exactly but there is a minor difference between the “MH” model and the “M” model being both of them basically the same concept, while the “NV” models are a different concept. There’s no 4 pre box of NV’s.
In the NV family (neve-ish) there are 1 pre and 2 pres boxes.
In the MH family (clean, transparent type) there are 2 pres and 4 pres boxes.

Have a look by yourself:

http://www.greatriverelectronics.com/products.html
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Guru

Mine is the MP2MH with the transformer and two different outputs. I only use the XLR/transformer out. I didn't realize until TapeOpCon when I was talking to Dan Kennedy that the two outs were different. The 1/4 out is transformerless. I need to try it someday.

Anyhoo I’m sure an MP4MH would kick ass because the MP2Mh does!
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Just to keep people guessing I use goofy model numbers.

The 2MH and 4MH are identical only twice as many channels. the 4M is the same as
a 4MH less the unbalanced outputs.

The NV series is a whole different beast, with roots in the old '70's "ring of three" transistor topology instead of a high speed discrete opamp. Not a 990, or 2520, or an AM-10, but a discrete opamp of my design.

They sound different, but have some similarities because of the way I do stuff, which is mostly they both have great imaging and low noise. But the NV is definitely the "rockier" of the two styles.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search