The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lucas CS-1, let's talk
Old 22nd September 2009
  #211
Gear Nut
 

We paid 2.300 Euro for it. But that was a year ago and I don't know if that is still valid.
Old 22nd September 2009
  #212
Lives for gear
 
toneguru's Avatar
Hey RB what up?

Thats cool you got your 660's and the Lucas mic... Hot Damn!

You mentioned limited run? Do you know if they are going to make anymore?

Thanks and keep on trackin...
Old 22nd September 2009
  #213
Lives for gear
 
WunderBro Flo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hop.sing View Post
By the way, for those who are in Europe and missed the cs-1 there are the Microphones by Dieter Schöpf DS-Audioservice.
The Website seems to be not ready yet, but the mc251 Tube Microphone we own is equipped with the Haun CK12 like capsule and an ef12 tube circuit and sounds simply wonderful. We love it. It is priced reasonably and Dieter is a nice guy to deal with.
If you have a chance to try one, do not miss it.
It shows all the attributes people are hearing in the Lucas to my ears and is in the same price range.
Tobias
Do you know if it is the stock Haun capsule or the "Bock´ed" one? I guess this would make a big difference as well....
Thanks,
Pat
Old 22nd September 2009
  #214
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneguru View Post
Thats cool you got your 660's and the Lucas mic... Hot Damn!

You mentioned limited run? Do you know if they are going to make anymore?

Thanks and keep on trackin...
through those V76's you sold me no less!heh

they might do another 100.not sure though

..
Old 22nd September 2009
  #215
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Do you know if it is the stock Haun capsule or the "Bock´ed" one? I guess this would make a big difference as well....
Thanks,
Pat
It is a custom capsule indeed. Dieter says, that it is customized to take 80V polarization voltage, but I have no idea, if it is identical with the Bock capsule.
Since I build a microphone myself with a stock Haun capsule and a similar circuit like the Schöpf, I can compare the two capsules. The stock capsule has definitly more treble (3db@10k at least, but beautiful treble) and a little more bass. So the Schöpf sounds more even and relaxed, but the overall midrange character of the capsules is very similar.
Old 26th February 2010
  #216
Lives for gear
 
NoEgo's Avatar
Hey guys.....This seemed to quiet down....

Is there another thread I can't find.
I ordered out of speculation....who can tell me about their Lucas CS1.
I thought people would be reporting . ????
Old 26th February 2010
  #217
Gear Addict
 

just used it to track some cello ... awesome. awesome.

didn't quite fit the gig for the vocalist though. a lot of high loud notes, and his voice is rather breathy. ended up being a neumann job. but i can imagine that the CS-1 brings incredible life to darker tones and delicate melodies.

Larry DeVivo at Silvertone Mastering in Saratoga Springs NY has the original #13 and let us try it out, thanks Larry! i'll chime back in on this thread when the tracks drop in august featuring the aforementioned cello.
Old 26th February 2010
  #218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hop.sing View Post
It is a custom capsule indeed. Dieter says, that it is customized to take 80V polarization voltage, but I have no idea, if it is identical with the Bock capsule.
Since I build a microphone myself with a stock Haun capsule and a similar circuit like the Schöpf, I can compare the two capsules. The stock capsule has definitly more treble (3db@10k at least, but beautiful treble) and a little more bass. So the Schöpf sounds more even and relaxed, but the overall midrange character of the capsules is very similar.
I believe that Mr. David Bock, "specifies" the capsule for Lucas Engineering.
Old 26th February 2010
  #219
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
 

David not only specifies it, he also supplies it to Lucas. It's the capsule that MBHO custom makes for him for his 251s.

I own #s 11 and 12. They have become my OH mics on every drum session. They are the best piano mic I have ever heard. No ****.
Old 26th February 2010
  #220
Gear Addict
 
jono's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
Hey guys.....This seemed to quiet down....

Is there another thread I can't find.
I ordered out of speculation....who can tell me about their Lucas CS1.
I thought people would be reporting . ????

there's a bit of commentary on the CS-4 thread today - more about the CS-1 than the CS-4...
Old 28th February 2010
  #221
Lives for gear
 
HudHudson's Avatar
 

I own SN 22 with SN 182 on the way. It's just plain amazing. Takes a little time to dial in the distance from the source and pattern but it's worth the effort. We love it on acoustic guitar, piano, and as a room mic or mono OH (can't wait to get the second one!).
Old 28th February 2010
  #222
Lives for gear
 
NoEgo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
I own SN 22 with SN 182 on the way. It's just plain amazing. Takes a little time to dial in the distance from the source and pattern but it's worth the effort. We love it on acoustic guitar, piano, and as a room mic or mono OH (can't wait to get the second one!).
Cool.
I think I am 123 or 4.

So is it leaning to 251? Or C12? ....or far from both? I am happy to hear acoustic guitar...and vocal is important to me too. I have a lot of LD mics including tubes, but I am guessing this is going to be spectacular.
Old 28th February 2010
  #223
Lives for gear
 
HudHudson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
Cool.
I think I am 123 or 4.

So is it leaning to 251? Or C12? ....or far from both? I am happy to hear acoustic guitar...and vocal is important to me too. I have a lot of LD mics including tubes, but I am guessing this is going to be spectacular.
It's in the same realm as the C12 and 251 insofar as the capsule is similar but it's not as bright as a C12 to my ears. As others have reported the CS-1 has super resolution and "reach" and is capable of capturing huge low end if that's what you're after. When the placement and pattern are dialed in it captures the true sound of the source like nothing else I've used.
Old 12th March 2010
  #224
Lives for gear
 
DONNX's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geareyes View Post
Pat,

AFAIK, David's capsule is a different breed of MBHO Haun CK12 than the one LeWilson microphones are incorporating into their mics.

I could be wrong,though.

Have you heard LeWilson mics?

Mike

What makes it a different breed? Did David retune it? Swap the materials? Please elaborate
Old 12th March 2010
  #225
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
What makes it a different breed? Did David retune it? Swap the materials? Please elaborate
David has custom specs. They are based on a CK12 he owns, which he considers his favorite CK12. Having borrowed that capsule from David, and having heard his MHBO made capsule, it's pretty close.

I have a MBHO CK12 type in my Pape C12. That capsule is much more pointed in the highs. Way more aggressive phase shift in that thing. Very different than David's.
Old 12th March 2010
  #226
Lives for gear
 
DONNX's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
David has custom specs. They are based on a CK12 he owns, which he considers his favorite CK12. Having borrowed that capsule from David, and having heard his MHBO made capsule, it's pretty close.

I have a MBHO CK12 type in my Pape C12. That capsule is much more pointed in the highs. Way more aggressive phase shift in that thing. Very different than David's.


Interesting. I was told that out of a dozen or so original CK12s, none of them were exactly the same in sound. It would be nice to have a matched pair of capsules.
Old 12th March 2010
  #227
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaury View Post
just used it to track some cello ... awesome. awesome.

didn't quite fit the gig for the vocalist though. a lot of high loud notes, and his voice is rather breathy. ended up being a neumann job. but i can imagine that the CS-1 brings incredible life to darker tones and delicate melodies.

Larry DeVivo at Silvertone Mastering in Saratoga Springs NY has the original #13 and let us try it out, thanks Larry! i'll chime back in on this thread when the tracks drop in august featuring the aforementioned cello.
Hi Andrew,

I meant to ask if you tried two clicks to the right (toward figure of 8) for the vocals or if you left it in true cardioid (straight up). In TC sometimes the "reach" of the mic is right down the singers throat (not usually very flattering)... usually two clicks to the right puts her in a similar vein to the Neumann M49. Let me know if your back this way cutting vocals again as I'd love to bring the mic out and try it.

Jonathan Jetter has been using it for vocals on a project he's doing and both he and the female singer love the mic... they've used it for every vocal on the album in every studio they've been in.

I have yet to find a source she has not worked on. With this mic in particular I find that the pattern selector allows it to tamed or tailored to fit just about any source... again (along with the reach) no other mic I've owned has ever reacted quite this way.

A very powerful lens to the audio world!
Old 12th March 2010
  #228
Lives for gear
 
NoEgo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Hi Andrew,

I meant to ask if you tried two clicks to the right (toward figure of 8) for the vocals or if you left it in true cardioid (straight up). In TC sometimes the "reach" of the mic is right down the singers throat (not usually very flattering)... usually two clicks to the right puts her in a similar vein to the Neumann M49. Let me know if your back this way cutting vocals again as I'd love to bring the mic out and try it.

Jonathan Jetter has been using it for vocals on a project he's doing and both he and the female singer love the mic... they've used it for every vocal on the album in every studio they've been in.

I have yet to find a source she has not worked on. With this mic in particular I find that the pattern selector allows it to tamed or tailored to fit just about any source... again (along with the reach) no other mic I've owned has ever reacted quite this way.

A very powerful lens to the audio world!
Thats exciting.... I find that with a lot of multi pattern mics that the full card pattern may or may not work as well as a dedicated or dual pattern mic, on vocals anyway. The best I find are like say the Pearlman where there is no fig 8 only card and omni. The card seems to be a fuller sound. Interesting that you say to try a few notches away from the card setting.
I resurrected this thread to hear about anyone's findings...hope we can keep it going ..thanks everyone so far who have piped in. Audio snippets would be cool..(short wav, aiff) thanks in advance.
Old 12th March 2010
  #229
Lives for gear
 
Kris's Avatar
(all clips are 24/48 wav) Chain: cs1 - SCA N72 - Mytek AD (There was a distressor patched in, but in bypass for these clips)

http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_10.wav (1 click towards figure 8, using supplied foam windscreen)

and (warning: the following is a slightly crude clip using a word that rhymes with 'spit')
http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_08.wav (tc pattern - about a foot back - no foam windscreen)

And a few more clips.

http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_09.wav (1 click towards figure 8 with supplied foam windscreen)

(warning: the following clip is slightly crude and uses a word that rhymes with 'trucking')
http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_11.wav (1 click towards figure 8 with supplied foam windscreen)

(warning: the following clip is slightly crude and makes reference to Tiger Woods 'playing golf')
http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_12.wav (1 click towards figure 8 with steadman pop filter)

These are all (including the above impersonation) my good buddy TC McGuire on the mic (a very talented voice actor TC McGuire Production Services ).
Old 12th March 2010
  #230
Lives for gear
 
NoEgo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
(all clips are 24/48 wav) Chain: cs1 - SCA N72 - Mytek AD (There was a distressor patched in, but in bypass for these clips)

http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_10.wav (1 click towards figure 8, using supplied foam windscreen)

and (warning: the following is a slightly crude clip using a word that rhymes with 'spit')
http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_08.wav (tc pattern - about a foot back - no foam windscreen)

And a few more clips.

http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_09.wav (1 click towards figure 8 with supplied foam windscreen)

(warning: the following clip is slightly crude and uses a word that rhymes with 'trucking')
http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_11.wav (1 click towards figure 8 with supplied foam windscreen)

(warning: the following clip is slightly crude and makes reference to Tiger Woods 'playing golf')
http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_12.wav (1 click towards figure 8 with steadman pop filter)

These are all (including the above impersonation) my good buddy TC McGuire on the mic (a very talented voice actor TC McGuire Production Services ).

Cool thanks man.... I have no speakers here right now so I will have a listen later today
Thanks again
Old 13th June 2010
  #231
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
It took some time to be in session with CS-1.
In short:
No brainer to anyone wishing to buy first or second very high end LDC mic, it is great and price point is not just right, but comparably almost a bargain. It sounds clean and realistic, still retaining natural quality of sources.
Owners of bigger locker might have dilemma (as I have) about what will CS-1 bring to existing setup. Comparisons with cleaner mics like ELAM 251, Brauner VM1 and Korby 251/67/800 loook more appropriate than with vintage Neumans.
Bottom end is that CS-1 will not be substitute for any of mentioned mics (it reminds me to some qualities of them) and it's a bit hard to justify adding it to locker that already covers similar ground very well. It's not nicer than Brauner in ultra clean or ELAM in its unique combo of balanced qualities. Korby 251 that is different than ELAM 251 is probably the closest of all mics compared, but I couldn't say that CS-1 would be obvious choice over it,too (although I have ELAM 251 I've found that Korby251 has own nice character that is totally usable many time even over original, but as 251 clone it slightly missed the point, opposite to Korby U47 that is rather weak as clone of U47 and equally not very strong in its own character).
Probably all above is not fair given the price difference, just point that CS-1 doesn't open 'new world of sonics' to owner of several great mics and represents excellent choice for those who need one very good clean mic.
I'm on order from 2nd batch, but would probably let it go to someone who really need it more.
Old 13th June 2010
  #232
Lives for gear
 
carloff's Avatar
Thx for qualified review with compare to other mics...
Old 19th June 2010
  #233
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Hi Andrew,

I meant to ask if you tried two clicks to the right (toward figure of 8) for the vocals or if you left it in true cardioid (straight up). In TC sometimes the "reach" of the mic is right down the singers throat (not usually very flattering)... usually two clicks to the right puts her in a similar vein to the Neumann M49. Let me know if your back this way cutting vocals again as I'd love to bring the mic out and try it.

Jonathan Jetter has been using it for vocals on a project he's doing and both he and the female singer love the mic... they've used it for every vocal on the album in every studio they've been in.

I have yet to find a source she has not worked on. With this mic in particular I find that the pattern selector allows it to tamed or tailored to fit just about any source... again (along with the reach) no other mic I've owned has ever reacted quite this way.

A very powerful lens to the audio world!
hey! was that railbird they were tracking? cooooool band... just recently got in touch with the cause i was impressed by the songs on their myspace
Old 19th June 2010
  #234
Lives for gear
 
NoEgo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
(all clips are 24/48 wav) Chain: cs1 - SCA N72 - Mytek AD (There was a distressor patched in, but in bypass for these clips)

http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_10.wav (1 click towards figure 8, using supplied foam windscreen)

and (warning: the following is a slightly crude clip using a word that rhymes with 'spit')
http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_08.wav (tc pattern - about a foot back - no foam windscreen)

And a few more clips.

http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_09.wav (1 click towards figure 8 with supplied foam windscreen)

(warning: the following clip is slightly crude and uses a word that rhymes with 'trucking')
http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_11.wav (1 click towards figure 8 with supplied foam windscreen)

(warning: the following clip is slightly crude and makes reference to Tiger Woods 'playing golf')
http://www.logcabinmusic.com/audio/cs1/cs1_12.wav (1 click towards figure 8 with steadman pop filter)

These are all (including the above impersonation) my good buddy TC McGuire on the mic (a very talented voice actor TC McGuire Production Services ).

Sounds fat and feathery...not what I expected. Sweet.
Old 21st June 2010
  #235
Lives for gear
 
HudHudson's Avatar
 

Here's a music video of Amy Cook I tracked during South By Southwest this spring. Lots of detail on her vocal captured by the CS-1. Mic pattern was two clicks toward Fig 8.

Amy Cook "Hotel Lights" on Vimeo
Old 22nd June 2010
  #236
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
It was you recording that Hud that convinced me to get on the list for a pair of these.

Sadly it's a very long list...
Old 22nd June 2010
  #237
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaury View Post
hey! was that railbird they were tracking? cooooool band... just recently got in touch with the cause i was impressed by the songs on their myspace
yes, i used the CS-1 on the railbird sessions that were done upstate. sincerely appreciative to Larry for it.

it's a really great microphone.

having gotten to know it a bit, i think i would tend to put it a little further back in the future and would probably obtain more ideal results. and given more time i'd have experimented with varying the polar pattern.

but things were pretty quick....tracking the band live and then doing a bunch of overdubs. we managed to get the whole record tracked in like 7 days total. didn't leave much time for experimentation. the tracks came out great though.

i'm on the list for CS-1 #236. had the opportunity to jump up and grab #88 but didn't have the $$$ on hand right away.
Old 22nd June 2010
  #238
Lives for gear
 
HudHudson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
having gotten to know it a bit, i think i would tend to put it a little further back in the future and would probably obtain more ideal results. and given more time i'd have experimented with varying the polar pattern.
I've had the same experience. Even using the windscreen supplied with the CS-1, Amy produced plosives from a foot away that had to be edited on this track. On subsequent sessions I've moved the vocalist back even further.
Old 28th June 2010
  #239
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
It was you recording that Hud that convinced me to get on the list for a pair of these.

Sadly it's a very long list...
But it IS getting shorter!

The first 100 CS-1's will finish delivery in the next couple of weeks. The difference between the next run and the first run is that all of the power supplies will be built, all swivel mounts with cables will be built and all CS-1 inner components will be built before we start to work on serial number 101. Plus, we will be able to test them in our new anechoic chamber.

So number 200 should be done before the end of the year. We're shooting for it to be done by the end of October.

Sincerely,

Joe Hauck
EVP Sales and Marketing
AMI, Inc.

Last edited by joeyhavoc; 28th June 2010 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 28th June 2010
  #240
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
It was you recording that Hud that convinced me to get on the list for a pair of these.

Sadly it's a very long list...
I was numbers 130/131
gave mine up to pay for other stuff
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
cymatics / So much gear, so little time!
28
nickolo / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze!
33
Seamus TM / Product Alerts older than 2 months
48
hey_mavis / The Moan Zone
4
ScottAltiz / High end
3

Forum Jump