The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tannoy System 15 - or is it a 15 DMT MkII??
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Head

Tannoy System 15 - or is it a 15 DMT MkII??

Hey Guys!
I´ve just been offered a pair of Tannoys "System 15" (says the badge). How can I find out if these are the (only written abouts) 15 DMT (MkII)s? I can´t find any other hint on the speakers or in the web. What is the difference between the two models if there is any? They want like $1600 for the pair. Reasonable?

By the way.. will I have an amping problem with the monsters? I wanted to use my NAD C352 with them (home use with occasional musical experiments and as speakers for home parties).

Thanks for any help.
W.
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Head

grmpf, I just found out what "DMT" means:
"Tannoy DMT™ (Differential Material Technology) -
the interface between drive unit and the cabinet
structure is crucial (...). Bracing
materials of different acoustic properties are used
to dampen the driver to the internal bracing and
then to the enclosure body itself; resulting in an
exceptionally well damped structure that minimises
the effect of unwanted resonances."

If they really introduced this feature with a second edition of the model? Anybody some old catalogues at home? I think I´ll write to Tannoy themselves. Will tell you the result.

Cheers,
W.
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwolfgang View Post
Hey Guys!
What is the difference between the two models?
Funny, I have just today acquired (1000$), a pair of Tannoy DMT 15 & wanted to ask exactly that same question…
So far it seems that my old Quad 105 (100W/8Ω) is plenty. Of course optimally they should be biamped with something at least twice that powerful, but I can get them to play very, very loud without any sign of compression.
Thinking of flush mount them.
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Head

$1000 a pair? Congratulations!! Is this a bargain or my price a rip-off? This demands diplomatic skills now.. My NAD can give only 2x80 with 8Ohm, but with the Klipsch RB-75 I use at the moment (extended with sub), this is pretty strong. But I just guess the Tannoy´s are another dimension.
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
$1000 a pair? Congratulations!! Is this a bargain or my price a rip-off? This demands diplomatic skills now.. My NAD can give only 2x80 with 8Ohm, but with the Klipsch RB-75 I use at the moment (extended with sub), this is pretty strong. But I just guess the Tannoy´s are another dimension.
"Is this a bargain or my price a rip-off?" I guess it was a bargain & lot of luck.
They are very efficient. Be prepared for another experience.
They are very & I mean very different from my Dynaudio BM15A & Genelcs 1030. Even Auratones. Mids are very pronounced. On vocals, you can hear every shrill, smack, click, boominess & reverb?, my good. Strange what you hear. The top is very closed. Listened to them the last 4 hours. It’s like; all my mixes need big changes. Be prepared. I have them at the moment in front of the console with near fields on two chairs, to low & 2m from nearest wall. I guess, bass that is not bigger then in the other monitors will greatly benefit from getting them close to the back wall. With 2x100W, they can play you out of a room like nothing. So far, I thing that they will be a great addition for my room. If I can get anything to sound god on them it will sound great on everything. Hope so.
Going to . Cheers.
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Perreaux makes (made?) nice amps that play very nice with DMT series monitors.
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

dimethyltryptamine?
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Head

Well- the whole clarity and stage is what I am missing with my Klipschs at the moment. They are very dynamic and reproduce "technical" or electronic sounds with great detail and plasticity, but they don´t really sound natural or disappear behind the sound. That´s what I am hoping to get with the Tannoys. I will listen to them next week and then let´s see.

About the price- I don´t know how much I would pay. Let´s see if I like them.

Still anyone can´t tell the difference between "System 15" and the "DMT MkII" version?

Cheers,
W.
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Head

that´s what the pinkfishmedia forum says, citing from the Tannoy Yahoo group:

"A friend of mine has bought the 15DMT in 1990. In 1992 it has been upgraded to MK2. Yes, the cross-over is complete different, yes, there is some extra additional damping in the cabinet. Normally about 2cm thick, with MK2 about 4 cm thickness. I had a 15DMTmk2 from myself and i can say the cabinets are 100% the same, with in both cabinets the same crossbracing. So upgrading to MK2 is quite easy.
Due to the crossover, the MK2 has more sensivity. The clearity in the
mid-range and high-section is better. I have the plans for the mk2 crossover."

That´s that. I think I´ll have to join this group. Question remains: How to discriminate the two models from the outside??
W.
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

I remember DMT II, from other place. The cabinet seems to be identical.
The crossover story is really interresting. Let´s hear more..
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

As I am a member of aforementioned Tannoy Yahoo group I just had quick look.
It seems the crossover point has been changed from 1500Hz to 1100Hz.
Pretty sure one of the members there got the crossover diagram and parts list.
Might even be on the groups files, couldn't find it though.
Or may be even on
TANNOY Monitor Gold dual concentric speakers
(it's the moderators Tannoy site)

The cabs are identical.

Good idea to join, they tend to be quite helpful!
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Head

hey guys.
Look, what I just got from the Tannoy support itself:

"We cannot tell by serial no.

The only external way to tell them apart is the laminate used on the cabinet sides- see attached photos.

The Mk 1 has more silver, with a rougher patern, while the Mk 2 has a finer texture and is duller."

They attached two photos to this, see them below.
Cheers,
W.
Attached Thumbnails
Tannoy System 15 - or is it a 15 DMT MkII??-dmt-mark-1.jpg   Tannoy System 15 - or is it a 15 DMT MkII??-dmt-mark-2.jpg  
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey guys.
Look, what I just got from the Tannoy support itself:

"We cannot tell by serial no.

The only external way to tell them apart is the laminate used on the cabinet sides- see attached photos.

The Mk 1 has more silver, with a rougher patern, while the Mk 2 has a finer texture and is duller."

They attached two photos to this, see them below.
Cheers,
W.
Thank you very much. I have got definitely MK II than. So badge Tannoy DMT 15 II on the speaker cabinet never existed??
&.. thanx for the link.
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Head

No problem, Kurt.
There is no other visible sign at the outside of the cabinet. I guess one would have to inspect the crossover or the mounting of the chassis if not sure.

Man- I still envy you for your MkIIs. How did you convince the guy to sell them for $1000? You don´t mean 1000€, right?

I reread your description of their sound- do you think they are also suitable for listening to electronic music, meaning all kraftwerk derived stuff, I´ve got some good house and electro connections to get tracks and mixes. These are actually quite fun to listen to on my Klipschs together with sub. Gives the feeling of a small PA sometimes, but of course more detailed.

Cheers,
W.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

So how is it going for you?
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Head

Hey guys-
all fine actually, I bought the DMT 15 (not II!) for 1000 Euros. I think it´s an OK price and I just couldn´t wait to have them.
They sound good, but what I am missing is a certain kind of "wow"-feeling. I like the Bass much though, compared to my sub, which I am selling now on ebay.
Problem is more the lack of overall dynamics and clarity and spatiality which I was assured are genuine advantiges of these speakers. I suppose this somehow gets lost in my (unfortunately very naked 6x4m) room and/or my not very strong NAD C352 Amp.

If anyone had some suggestions concerning a suitable Amp I would be very happy if it wasn´t the Emitters, cause I just can´t afford something like that. Nevertheless it has to be strong, I guess, because the DMTs have some kind of high restistance (not under 10 Ohms below 80 Hz).

Any tipps for me?
Cheers,
W.
Old 10th July 2009
Quote:
Any tipps for me?
Cheers,
W.
Get a Perreaux and some 8TC Kimber Kable. Perreaux is the best sonic match for Tannoys. Everything else makes Tannoys sound bright and fatiguing(and trust me i've tried just about everything possible).

Lastly one thing that no one mentioned is that the old DMT and the new DMT have different tweeters. The older tweeter looks like a tail fin from and old cadillac. But its a moot point since both tweeters were discontinued by Tannoy anyways. So i advise you to take excellent care of the tweeters because finding a replacement will be like searching for the holy grail.
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Head

Erm, thanx.

I just stop by the bank and ask for a 3000 Euro credit for some amps.
Isn´t there anything affordable to drive the monsters? I am a badly paid media slave. 1000 Euro would already be more than reasonable.

Concerning the tweeters - you want to say that this spare one
Orange County Speaker Repair - GLS Audio Wholesale: Tannoy Diaphragm 7900-0550 for 3133, 3833, CPA12, CPA15, and others
is not an original part? At least the ad says so.

Cheers,
W.
Old 7th February 2011
Here for the gear

dmt 15 mkII x-over

[QUOTE=O.F.F.;4228879]As I am a member of aforementioned Tannoy Yahoo group I just had quick look.
It seems the crossover point has been changed from 1500Hz to 1100Hz.
Pretty sure one of the members there got the crossover diagram and parts list.
Might even be on the groups files, couldn't find it though.
Or may be even on
TANNOY Monitor Gold dual concentric speakers
(it's the moderators Tannoy site)

I can't seem to find the crossover layout for DMT 15mkII anywhere. Could you post it here or send it to me by email, please
Vernb
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys-
Problem is more the lack of overall dynamics and clarity and spatiality which I was assured are genuine advantiges of these speakers. I suppose this somehow gets lost in my (unfortunately very naked 6x4m) room and/or my not very strong NAD C352 Amp.

If anyone had some suggestions concerning a suitable Amp I would be very happy if it wasn´t the Emitters, cause I just can´t afford something like that. Nevertheless it has to be strong, I guess, because the DMTs have some kind of high restistance (not under 10 Ohms below 80 Hz).

Any tipps for me?
Cheers,
W.
1.) Placing DMT´s in a control room is as crucial as any other monitor speaker. As is a truckload of damping materials.
2.) DMT´s are easily driven with modest amp. I’m using a QUAD 405 (2 x 100W-8Ω). With that power, they can play clean & much louder than my Dynadio BM15-A
Old 8th February 2011
There are two pairs of 215s on ebay right now. Those things are huge if you've never worked with or seen them. They used to have a pair at OmniSound in Nashville back in the 90s.

Search for Tannoy + DMT.
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

One word: Wow.
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Tannoy system 12 DMT IIs sittingn in a vo booth waiting to be moved to storage. I realize they can't be compared to the 15s, but while I have always enjoyed listening to them, I could never mix well on them. When I replaced them with a custom dynaudio system made up of bm15as and bx30 subs with outboard amps and crossovers, I realized how much information was missing from the Tannoys. The crossover in the 12 DMTs seemed to leave a hole right where the snare drum and vocals lived. They sounded great for casual listening, but I couldn't get mixes that translated.
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

They are really great to judge amount of reverb, mud & pan. & Play loud.
..As compliment to my BM15-As, Genelecs 1030A & Auratones.
Old 18th February 2011
Here for the gear

please anyone can help me? i have a tannoy dmt 12 and want to upgrade the crossover to the MK II version..but i haven't the schematics . best regards
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
2.) DMT´s are easily driven with modest amp. I’m using a QUAD 405 (2 x 100W-8Ω). With that power, they can play clean & much louder than my Dynadio BM15-A
Having myself the System 10's (and I absolutely love them!), I realised that there's a huge difference between "they can play..." and "they sound the way they should". I went from small wattage transistor amps, via testing a quite powerful Rotel tube/transistor hybrid, to a 2x300W super-fast JBL/Urei 6290 finally.
So I know the feeling that they can sound a little undetailed, but with a stronger amp they're definitely fun to mix on – while being even more accurate. If I wasn't so happy with my combo, I'd be tempted to try one of these Emotiva amps. Does anyone have experience with these?
Old 31st March 2011
Gear Head

Hey guys.

Back after some listening time.

I still haven´t got a new amp but got used to the NAD.

Let´s see maybe I get a new gear altogether. A friend of mine tries to convince me of the Kirsch Audio guys´s Q6 which seems to be a nice speaker for sure. He says they have a very wide sweet spot which I´d love to have. Strange enough I did expect this from the Tannoys, conical dispersion etc.

Still though I am a believer of the Tannoy principle of construction, integration of high and low freqs. So - trying to get more neutral I am looking to those System 10 DMT which seem to be the most balanced in terms of freq response. Maybe they put the Tannoy virtues more to the front!? Then add 2 decent subs and go for it.

BTW- the fin-tail tweeter from the System I series I have seen in the 8" (for sale now here - beware!)and 10" version (12" I am not sure) but in my 15" I definitely and luckily have a tulip wave guide. In the centre though, if you peek hard enough into it there seems is a pin-point phase plug which I didn´t know. Do all tulip-guides have this?

So- maybe tomorrow I will go and listen to some ATCs and later on the Kirsch´s!

C ya,
W.
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

I have used system 10 12 and fifteens and currently have a set of system 6`s as my second reference NFMs.

Point source does give you an excellent sound field but you have to get used to the Tannoy sound as well.
I grew up on Golds in Lockwood enclosures, so I am comfortable wwith them
FWIW I thought all the DMTIIs had DMTII in gold on a black label on the connector panel on the back?

I like the Quad 405 and 605 which seem to like the Tannoys at any size.
And you shoul be able to find one cheap.

As far as cable is concerned, dont swallow the bull**** - I use 2.5mm squ lamp cord. I bought 100 metre roll years ago and it has done everything from PA to my monitors. Oh, and a couple of lamps!

My 100m. cost me about €30. But it WAS around 1999.....

Last edited by ivansc; 1st April 2011 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: I karnt spel
Old 1st April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
FWIW I thought all the DMTIIs had DMTII in gold on a black label on the connector panel on the back
You are right, in the meantime I saw a many fotos.. DMT I only says "System 15" impressed in the black terminal plastic, DMT II has a label that says DMT II etc.

Maybe I should try a Quad amp before I switch to completely new gear.

Why is the sweet spot so limited if the soundfield of the Tannoys is so good? I also have a very small listening room at the moment which doesn´t help the 15´s to unfold. Midfields in a 9 sqm room

What is your definition of the Tannoy sound, ivansc? I quite like the sound of the 15s. Could you describe how you compare the 10s with the 15s?

Sometimes it seems to me like Tannoy could never transform the advantages of their dual concentrics into a really up-to-date product. Very few people really like the ellipse monitors. Performance of todays prestige series is said to be good in liveliness etc. but these models are really expensive and not suitable for studio conditions.

Maybe the dual concentric has got some inherent deficiencies that are hard to come by. That´s why Tannoy relies so much on tradition and nostalgia.

Cheers,
W.
Old 25th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffacheru View Post
please anyone can help me? i have a tannoy dmt 12 and want to upgrade the crossover to the MK II version..but i haven't the schematics . best regards

You can't really change DMT 12 MKI to the MKII version just by changing the crossovers. The MKII uses a 70L cabinet versus the MKI's 50L cabinet, so, although the two versions use the same driver, changing the crossover definitely won't make a MKI into MKII. It may not even function optimally in the smaller cabinet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search