The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focusrite Liquid Channel opinions please
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Focusrite Liquid Channel opinions please

I am thinking of purchasing 2 Liquid Channels for stereo operation. These would be used as preamps for tracking into PT HD, During Mixing I would have 2 compressors available and for Mastering a stereo pair. What do everyone think of these units ? From all the research I have been doing on them they look very nice. Opinions please heh
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

is this research that you've done at GS?!?
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmmm- not a fan myself.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

what i've read thats it mostly give some sound of the old tools, but it dont works like the old ones. there is mainly one compressor in it, which got another sound color added, the one you choose. i think its not that worth. you looked at sintefex too, kinda same.

maybe you test it first before buying, those all in one tools are mostly not worth the money.

but thats my taste.

greets chester
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20
is this research that you've done at GS?!?

Some GS, some DUC, read reviews in Sound On Sound, Mix, MusicTech, EQ. All those seem to be very positive, am I missing something ?
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmuzik
Some GS, some DUC, read reviews in Sound On Sound, Mix, MusicTech, EQ. All those seem to be very positive, am I missing something ?
just that i don't recall many people on GS who've tried it liking it much.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'd have to pass on the same advice. Try them first before buying it. That's alot of money to sink into gear that will DEFINATELY lose value in time. Not saying it's not a good unit, I just know historically, "imitaion" gear ends up on Ebay begging for bidders while vintage gear rarely hits Ebay and has buyers begging you to sell them.

Old 9th August 2005
Lowdbrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
I'd have to pass on the same advice. Try them first before buying it. That's alot of money to sink into gear that will DEFINATELY lose value in time. Not saying it's not a good unit, I just know historically, "imitaion" gear ends up on Ebay begging for bidders while vintage gear rarely hits Ebay and has buyers begging you to sell them.

Hello. All gear made today is worth crap in time.

Look, many people here will bash as a knee jerk reaction to other posts. If you call the local rep for Focusrite, they will get you a demo. I think that it really is a good thing for some applications. I have heard it first hand.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm the kind of guy that would rather purchase 1 compressor that only works as that one compressor. Or a pre, that only does that.

Every machine that does to many things in 1 box usually cuts corners.

I'm sure the LC is useable, but I would not expect it to win over the stand alone units.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah... where ever there is increased versitility there is reduced quality IMO.

But sometimes the decrease in quality is worth the extra features it has...

Your best bet would be to try one yourself and see...
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Don't do it.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

How many people have actually tried one?

I had one for review for about 4 months, and tried it on a zillion different things.

I was amazed at the Liquid channels ability to sound pretty cool under many different circumstances. It is a cool thing, but I wouldnt buy one. I can admire the attempt made by the designers, and I still think it is an amazing box. I think it is amazing the same way I think new robots are coming out that blow my mind, and certain other space travel type advances are amazing... As a tool, I found it pretty cool. I dont gove a **** what they call each "model," the thing has some useful sounds. I only tried it as an analog in, analog out box, and I actually liked the sound of some of the settings a lot! I had to get over the really Eventide-esque interface that I knew would make engineers instantly hate the thing, and then I liked some of the things it did.
I still feel like if I had a studio based on an 002, and worked semi-pro, and needed a bunch of colors to choose from as a vocal front end (going in digital out of the LC), this is a viable option.

Just my opinion.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I suspect not as many that let on...

We have a very sheepish community here that are willing to reguritate anything they read.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!

We have a very sheepish community here that are willing to reguritate anything they read.
Ouchy Babe!!!
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't trust most of these guys as they seem to be too beholden to advertisers to say what they really think. Rarely see a bad review on anything. When I see good reviews on gear I know is spotty, I know how much faith to put in the rest.

Ultimately, you gotta make up your own mind, of course, but there have been a few threads here regarding this box.
Old 9th August 2005
member no 666

I played with one a couple of times.

The first time was at Michael Wagener's "WireWorld" during the King's X workshop thing. We could find absolutely no redeeming qualities to the thing coupled with absolutely unacceptable latency.

The second time I had one shipped up to the shop because I had seen all these "glowing reviews" on the thing and started to doubt what I had heard.

When I had the unit at our shop I was able to get into even greater depth with it. If you're looking for a 2 dimensional sounding complete piece of horse****... then this is THE unit for you.

If you're looking for something with great audio, great depth, dimension and ability to pass along the emotion of the music you're working on... then pass on this thing and go look at some real solutions.

I'm sure they're selling a ton of them... it's a GREAT idea... it's just that this revision of the excecution sucks ass.

If you have any ears at all... your mileage won't vary.

Peace.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

As Fletcher said, the latency is entirely unacceptable, and I personally don't like what I hear coming out of it. I tried it out for about a week, and while it had lots of features and a ton of decent tones, nothing stood out to me as something worth all that cash. The flexibility and options are nice and all, but it's basically a box with a bunch of decent sounds, but no truly great ones. I'd recommend just getting a nice pair of preamps(or a dual channel one) and a nice compressor. Sure, you won't be able to get the hints of API, Neve, Trident, or whatever all in that one box, but you are guaranteed to get one awesome flavor.
Old 9th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I don't trust most of these guys as they seem to be too beholden to advertisers to say what they really think. Rarely see a bad review on anything. When I see good reviews on gear I know is spotty, I know how much faith to put in the rest.

Ultimately, you gotta make up your own mind, of course, but there have been a few threads here regarding this box.
Dutchmuzik,

I did a review for EQ magazine. It was originally 7 pages long, which you won't see in ANY magazines. I'm not "beholden" to anyone and if you are considering using it in stereo or for mastering, then there are issues you should be aware of. As far as I know, I'm the only reviewer that has ever had two units side by side.

And I didn't sugarcoat anything in the review. It's all there: good, bad and ugly.

It is available to all 3D VIPs. You can sign up at the URL below. Or go to www.3daudioinc.com/catalog.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdbrent
Hello. All gear made today is worth crap in time.

Look, many people here will bash as a knee jerk reaction to other posts. If you call the local rep for Focusrite, they will get you a demo. I think that it really is a good thing for some applications. I have heard it first hand.
Maybe so...can't read the future. I just said try it before you buy it unless you have enough money to take the loss if you don't like it. LOTS O' Options out there for the price of 2 unproven units from Focusrite. I'm not knocking Focusrite....I have and still love the ISA 430 but I learned along time ago to be careful of paying extra for marketing hype. That's free advice...take it or leave it.
Old 10th August 2005
I believe the printed version from the magazine (2 pages) is still on the EQ site for others who would like to read that. www.eqmag.com I believe.

The pdf of the unabridged version is available on my site to 3D VIPs, those posters who help support my site financially.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Nut

I own one and im actually thinking about selling it. But I don't have enough experience to really judge its sound quality compared to what its emulating, I though it would be good to have alot of options. And after having it for about 5/6 months I would rather just have one solid pre. I don't find enough difference between most of the models to warrent all the time it takes searching through and messing around when you could be tracking. With that said, I don't think it sounds like ****, it actually sounds preaty good and I imagine sombody with a more experienced ear could get better use out of it. As for me in a few months I will probably have sold it for a simpler soultion.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Guru

We had one here as well..compared it directly with real Neves,V-76's...Api 312's
it did not sound like the originals.
Pure 100% boat anchor.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am thinking of purchasing 2 Liquid Channels for stereo operation. These would be used as preamps for tracking into PT HD, During Mixing I would have 2 compressors available and for Mastering a stereo pair. What do everyone think of these units ? From all the research I have been doing on them they look very nice. Opinions please heh
This is one of the few units that has not itched me with the slightest form of gearlust or G.A.S. whatsoever...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
I haven't used LiqC in any recording, so I shouldn't comment
But you did... negitivly. And based on nothing. Which makes no sence and does nobody any good. I don't uinderstand why people are so quick to hate somthing they havent even tried.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

I was tempted to buy one but the latency specs on it made me not want to buy it.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!

When you're finished "reading" this, then come back to talk smack

Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon -10
But you did... negitivly. And based on nothing. Which makes no sence and does nobody any good. I don't uinderstand why people are so quick to hate somthing they havent even tried.
Deleted, to your honor.

ruudman
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

I've never used one, but I used to want to. After reading about the latency problem, I'll never touch one. I had no idea about that. It's ******* useless then.
Old 12th August 2005
Harmon Kneenot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
We had one here as well..compared it directly with real Neves,V-76's...Api 312's
it did not sound like the originals.
Pure 100% boat anchor.
Hey Roundbadge... I heard a rumor that you work for Vintage King... is that true?
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon Kneenot
Hey Roundbadge... I heard a rumor that you work for Vintage King... is that true?
Roundbadge = Mike Nehra?

If that's the case, I just have one thing to say: we're not worthy!! heh heh heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search