The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Liquid Channel opinions please
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

I haven't heard one, so I cannot comment on the sound, HOWEVER...

I think convolution technology holds a lot of promise for the future, and like it or not, we are moving in that direction.

Someday, somebody will make a convolving unit that is usable, and unfortunately, it is going to take deep pockets do it right, so that leaves out a lot of the small mom and pop shops, and leaves us with folks like Focusrite, which I doubt can ever do it "right".

Here's hoping that the someday is going to be "someday soon"...
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

I bought a LC, put it through the test with a serious producer in his studio. The test that really beat it up was this: We took a Royer and did a bell strike. Through a real 1073, the bell was beautiful. Round and pure, lots of overtones. Sounded like an angel. Through the LC, it totally collapsed. It basically farted out digital mess. It couldn't comprehend it. That's when decided to return it.

However...I love to see companies like Focusrite taking strives toward the world of convolution. Let's face it, it's the future. One day, one box will do everything. I can't wait. Until then, I'll hang onto my anologue outboard.

On another positive note, I did like the Helios/Fairchild combo and the ability to audition the settings so quickly without patchbay hell. Other than that, it's a prosumer piece.

Peace...
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Tetness, how about a posting those pics of your awesome studio again? thumbsup
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Kestral. Once I get my new Pultecs, Shadow Hills compressor, and API 550a, I'll snap a few more shots.
Old 2nd September 2005
Here for the gear

liquid channel

Utter waste of money.

I recently recorded a soprano sax (not the best source i admit) on 6 completely different settings ranging from modern class a to old valve. Afterwards I edited together the files in pro-tools and there was absolutely no discernable difference between them all. Only when I listened in headphones with my eyes closed really tight could I hear the slightest sound change. I included my ISA 430 prod pak in the listening test and it blended in perfectly. The only good thing about it was being able to control is via USB as long as it is no longer than an arms length away as then the USB can't handle it. On the whole, save yourself the extra cash and buy a couple of producer packs, You can link the dynamics. add the nice digi out put and your laughing. It even looks crap where as the prod packs are loverly.
I should say that it does sound very nice, but it definately does not have all the sounds of all these other boxes it professes to have.........
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, finally got a chance to try it out at a local retail store. You want my opinion? Here it is:

Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Ok, finally got a chance to try it out at a local retail store. You want my opinion? Here it is:

So stay away from Long&Dongs till they clean up the mess, eh?
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl
So stay away from Long&Dongs till they clean up the mess, eh?
Yeah, Mark Capioferri is probably glad he's not there anymore, otherwise he'd be cleaning up puke stains in the Pro Audio department heh
Old 2nd September 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Not too much love for L&M huh? Or the Liquid Channel for that matter.
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Not too much love for L&M huh? Or the Liquid Channel for that matter.
Schlong & McQuade is a pretty good reseller, I don't have any complaints.
Old 2nd September 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Schlong & McQuade
heh Good one. I will add it to the list.
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Is pissing time!!! dfegad
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

tutt hated it! tutt dfegadliquid channel
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I don't trust most of these guys ...
(In response to Lynn Fuston's post):

I say most because there are those few and far between who seem to lay it on the line. Lynn Fuston is one of 'em, though.
Old 3rd December 2013
Ok super old thread this but I wanted to add something for a bit of balance.
The pre's do have different sonic qualities, but it takes a while to appreciate them - they are not going to be night and day from the off especially if you dont have experienced ears.
The LC does a very good job at being a high quality pre/comp chain end of...are the emulations exactly like the originals, prob not but it still offers a huge range of colours and options that are very useable.
An overlooked strength of this device is how useful it is for educational purposes, the LC has informed me so much about pres and comps I'd be unlikely to try without it. I can say that after owning for 2 years it remains an extremely useful box and the more confident I've become with its tonal variation the more I experiment.
Today I feel well placed to consider my next serious investment, I would like 'real world' versions of some of my favourite presets and have a much richer understanding of why I might want them.
The LC is a unique product, not cheap but with its own party tricks.
Any gripes? I wish it was stereo for the same price, would consider it amazing value if it was possible to use just a single box for 2 buss compression.
Old 3rd December 2013
The pre's do have different sonic qualities, but it takes a while to appreciate them - they are not going to be night and day from the off especially if you dont have experienced ears.
The LC does a very good job at being a high quality pre/comp chain end of...are the emulations exactly like the originals, prob not but it still offers a huge range of colours and options that are very useable.
An overlooked strength of this device is how useful it is for educational purposes, the LC has informed me so much about pres and comps I'd be unlikely to try without it. I can say that after owning for 2 years it remains an extremely useful box and the more confident I've become with its tonal variation the more I experiment.
Today I feel well placed to consider my next serious investment, I would like 'real world' versions of some of my favourite presets and have a much richer understanding of why I might want them.
Any gripes? I wish it was stereo for the same price, would consider it amazing value if it was possible to use just a single box for 2 buss compression.
Old 3rd December 2013
Lives for gear

I did not like all the added "stuff" in the liquid channel, but I did grab a liquid 4 pre and i love the way it sounds. No the emulations do not sound exactly like the real deals, but they are interesting and good in their own way.

The issue I found with the liquid channel (not the liquid pre/ liquid 4 pre, since they don't have it), was when adding the eq/comp in the chain, that caused the sound to deteriorate and added some latency.

Grab the liquid pres and a decent comp or two rather than the liquid channel.

Jim
Old 5th December 2013
Lives for gear

Liquid was used by Dann Huff on Rascall Flatts My Gang album, that is what sold me......
Old 5th December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmuzik View Post
I am thinking of purchasing 2 Liquid Channels for stereo operation. These would be used as preamps for tracking into PT HD, During Mixing I would have 2 compressors available and for Mastering a stereo pair. What do everyone think of these units ? From all the research I have been doing on them they look very nice. Opinions please heh
I used one on Rod Stewart "Stardust". I thought they sounded awful - very grainy and softwareish. I wish they would have let me bring in the real chain from home.
Old 5th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Dutchmuzik,

I did a review for EQ magazine. It was originally 7 pages long, which you won't see in ANY magazines. I'm not "beholden" to anyone and if you are considering using it in stereo or for mastering, then there are issues you should be aware of. As far as I know, I'm the only reviewer that has ever had two units side by side.

And I didn't sugarcoat anything in the review. It's all there: good, bad and ugly.

It is available to all 3D VIPs. You can sign up at the URL below. Or go to osCommerce.
And they didn't edit you? I quit writing for them, when they made it sound like I liked the TLM49 mic.
Old 10th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by duskb View Post
I used one on Rod Stewart "Stardust". I thought they sounded awful - very grainy and softwareish. I wish they would have let me bring in the real chain from home.
What sample rate were you using on the LC?
Old 20th December 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiFF View Post
What do you call "experienced ears"? Is 28 years experienced enough?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search