The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How Do You Choose a Mix Guy/Girl?
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

How Do You Choose a Mix Guy/Girl?

Hey there again...

Well - I'm about to start tracking my vocals this week - then will need to mix this project.

Last time when I had a problem with a not so great microphone in a local studio - I solved the problem by buying my own microphone heh

This time the solution is not as straight forward.

I've tracked pretty much everything at home - but now need someone to mix this. I have a basic Pro Tools LE system - but when I start loading up plug ins - my computer starts to choke.

I live in Western Canada - and it would be nice to find a mixer somewhere in the area - although not necessary.

My thoughts on what I'd like to happen with the tracks - I'd like to have it mixed through a real board with a real reverb. I'd like to find someone who is familiar with the type of music I listen to (James Taylor, Elton John) - 'cause I think it will help if we both have the same result in mind.

Cost wise - I'd like it to be fair. Do I need someone worth thousands of dollars a day? - I don't think so - 'cause at this stage my goal is to just recoup my costs from the sales of the CD's. I am aware that experience costs money...

What's the reasonable protocol when searching out a mixer? Do you send them a track & see how they do before committing an entire project? Or ?????

Any & all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

SparkyCanada
Old 8th August 2005
One with big hooves

There's a similar thread here; https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/37418-why-can-you-attend-mastering-session-but-not-mixing.html

The best way to find a good mix engineer is to start hunting around and gather some names. Hunt down their work to see if you like the mixes and see if they translate and sound good in a variety of different environments, I mean...that IS one of the technical points of mixing. A good mix will travel from headphones to a $50K stereo and everything in-between without falling apart.

Beyond that, talk to the engineers and get a feel on them and if they “get” your music. You probably don't want to hire the big name metal or classical guy if your doing jazz, but on the flip side...a good engineer will be (or should be) able to understand a lot of different genre's and, provided the tracks were recorded decently, they'll be able to put together a solid mix. With digital tracks, FTP sites, and high-bandwidth internet connections distance doesn’t matter like it did five years ago.

Rates can really vary, and the highest day rate isn’t always the most expensive option for the project. It depends on how many mixes can get knocked off in a day, typically two or at best three is a good number but depending on the complexity of the song and tracking, it could go faster or slower.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

for me it would be the logistical priority first to see if this person is
someone you'll feel comfortable spending 10-12 hours a day with.....
after that, does this person have something that connects them
to your work...............

i have a daking console, much like the trident a range that created the
elton john records.........i have a plate reverb.......i've got 1/2" mix down
its august in new york, if you haven't heard its a beautiful time
to be in manhattan - for the smells alone......feel like coming
to nyc for a couple of days???

be well
- jack
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
its august in new york, if you haven't heard its a beautiful time
to be in manhattan - for the smells alone.....
- jack

dfegad
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

This is easy....

Mix guy:
Someone who has a good grasp of where each sound fits into the mix.

Mix girl:
A nice rack.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Sparky,
I sent you a pm.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Guru

PM sent. Let's talk soon!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search