Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_w View Post
try buying it a drink
whhaaa.
Old 25th May 2009
Gear Maniac

hahaha

oh god can anyone help me with dating a neumann mic, what kind of drink would you recommend since this one is a classy mic hahah
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coschi View Post
Serial is 50226

It has an XLR connector and a 5 way switch labeled M and S at either end
Underneath, where the serial number is written there is a HPF switch also
I have had one since new. It's serial is in 42200 range. I bought it in mid 1985. So I would suspect yours is a bit later. As I recall, the M-S selector is for selecting either Music or Speech. It was a wonderful microphone but was damaged by the packing material Sennheiser used for protection. I had it stored in perfect condition inside of it's box for about 15 years. I still have the original box but the foam inside turned gooey and melted. I suspect the the outgassing of the foam damaged my great microphone and I cannot figure out how to get it fixed.

Danny
Old 26th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianodano View Post
I have had one since new. It's serial is in 42200 range. I bought it in mid 1985. So I would suspect yours is a bit later. As I recall, the M-S selector is for selecting either Music or Speech. It was a wonderful microphone but was damaged by the packing material Sennheiser used for protection. I had it stored in perfect condition inside of it's box for about 15 years. I still have the original box but the foam inside turned gooey and melted. I suspect the the outgassing of the foam damaged my great microphone and I cannot figure out how to get it fixed.

Danny
I have a pair of 441's that I bought new in 1974. They, too, lived alongside crumbling foam for a long time. Eventually I put them into plastic bags to keep the bits of foam out, and finally, I threw out the old foam and now keep them in cloth bags.

My 441's have not been degraded by their experience. I did vacuum the last bits of foam crumble out of the windscreen using a brush tip on the vacuum.
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Nut

Mine is # 68908 from 1989 according to the previous original owners.
Old 10th June 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks root!
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Nut

oops I made a mistake...68908 is from 1991....there's a #66702 is from 1989 on e-bay now(do a search for "md-441" with the dash between the MD and the 441) for $339 w/out the case & a non clicking but functional clip.

That's a 2200 # difference for 2 years.

The #42200 from 1985 is a 24000 difference for 4 years...which doesn't follow any steady manufacturing trend.

Either that or the dates we have aren't correct.

Good luck on your quest and in the mean time.

p.s. If and when you do find out a roundabout date, buy YOURSELF a drink.

root aka Bob G
Old 8th July 2016
Here for the gear

Sorry to spark up this thread once again but i recently managed to acquire a Md441 for the bargain price of £175 ($230) with the serial number 16276 making me think from others serial numbers that it may be an early 70's model?
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Guru

Not sure why people are worried about the age of the 441 as the newest is the same as the earliest - the only difference is the change to lead-free solder for RoHS compliance.
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Not sure why people are worried about the age of the 441 as the newest is the same as the earliest - the only difference is the change to lead-free solder for RoHS compliance.
Maybe a newer one is less beat-up.
Old 11th July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Maybe a newer one is less beat-up.
But most people wantig to date it already have one.

Anyway, an old one could have been lovingly cared for by a single user amd a newer one could be well beaten up by being roughly used onstage by people who cou;dn't care about keeping it nice.

So age is no clue as to condition at all.
Old 11th July 2016
treat it to a bit of preamp romance. it should have enough gain.
Old 30th May 2017
Gear Nut
If you open them up it will say the month and year along the inner barrel.

Mine says April 95' serail 82205 which makes sense going by other people's dates and numbers earlier on this thread.
Old 7th June 2018
Here for the gear

Hi,

I own three sennheiser md441. Two are the modern/current model. The latest one I picked up recently is vintage, it has the old sennheiser logo and a silver xlr connector. I did a very non scientific comparison of the two and found the vintage one far more pleasing when recording my voice (less low mids). The two modern ones I have sound the same to me, but the old one is not a close match at all. The Mic construction seems different as well and feels a few ounces heavier. I have always heard that there is no difference between the old models, but that has not been my experience. Has anyone else noticed this? Is my old one not up to spec and they should sound exactly the same?
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus3700 View Post
Hi,

I own three sennheiser md441. Two are the modern/current model. The latest one I picked up recently is vintage, it has the old sennheiser logo and a silver xlr connector. I did a very non scientific comparison of the two and found the vintage one far more pleasing when recording my voice (less low mids). The two modern ones I have sound the same to me, but the old one is not a close match at all. The Mic construction seems different as well and feels a few ounces heavier. I have always heard that there is no difference between the old models, but that has not been my experience. Has anyone else noticed this? Is my old one not up to spec and they should sound exactly the same?
As far as I am aware they should sound the same.

Sennheiser did change the design of the bass roll-off switch some years ago, but that was mostly cosmetic.

I would have thought that the difference is sound is caused by the old model having many years of use.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search