The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are the high end Monster cables worth the price
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

Just wondering if the price is right on the high end monster stuff about 100 bucks for a 20' sp1000 mic cable ? I know there may be better out there but are these cables a good value considering availability ect. I own about 12 got several off ebay and bought a few. Please offer some examples of other cables.
Thanks,
Mitch
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swami
Hell no
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

any examples or alternatives
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Guru

Monster is a complete overpriced ripoff! Bull****!
Someone gave me some and they don't make a rats **** worth of difference to all my stuff made with good old canare/mogami starquad cable
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

You can get high grade Mogami cabling from hotwiredcables.com with gold neutrik connectors for little more than you can get regular cables at a Guitar Center...
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Redco sells em` pretty cheap as well.

Swami have you seen this ? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...hlight=monster

Monster is an extremely evil and very annoying company.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

What's worse than Monster is the average sales guys at the mega chain electronics ****hole who assumes, as a matter of course, that you're going to be buying $150 of Monster bull**** to go with that new TV, speakers, whatever.

Some guy tried that with me when I went with my mom to help her buy a TV and when I told the dude I didn't want anything from Monster (he had it all piled up there ready to go....cables, surge protector, etc.) he told me "But it's the most popular!"

I've never paid a dime for Monster anything as far as I know and I will never buy their crap.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Guru

monster is the bose of cable: big with consumers, almost universally reviled by pro's.

canare rocks, imho.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear
I had one of the first one's 20 or so years ago....I loved it. The one's they make today suck.
Old 8th August 2005

I would go with Mogami!
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore
You can get high grade Mogami cabling from hotwiredcables.com with gold neutrik connectors for little more than you can get regular cables at a Guitar Center...
Yup, I love my Mogami ! I've never spent one cent on Monster and I don't plan to anytime soon.
ERic
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

please check out
http://www.monstergreed.com/Index%20...about%20MC.htm
before buying any monster cables.

there was a site www.boycottmonstercable.com that was much more concise and too the point, but it has been taken down.

the basic jist is that monster cable has been suing just about every company in the country that uses the word "monster" in their name. everything form moster garage to monster.com to monster antiques (a sole propietorship) to "protect their brand image."

i'm not trying to force any morality on anyone, but it's worth a look. i've switched to planet waves and been happier anyway.
Old 8th August 2005
More cowbell!

I have a few of the top end monster cables and I hate them. Their 1/4" plugs dont fit jacks properly and bend back the receiving tines abnormally, as Steve Albini noted in another thread.

Besides that, yeah, their coporate jerks and our studio is boycotting them for life.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

That and wouldn't the gold tips and non-gold inputs corode over time? I'm a Canare Neutrik man myself. Mogami for snakes though.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swami
Just wondering if the price is right on the high end monster stuff
Not it isn't and don't do it. Get anything but monster. I did a cable shoot out a couple of years ago and monster came last in my opinion.
Old 8th August 2005
Monster is worse the Radio Shack (no really). I don't think Mogami is that amazing either. With cable it all depends on what your doing with it. One brand might sound better here, another brand might sound better there.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
our studio is boycotting them for life.
same for mine
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict
Absolutly, The Monsters are worth nothing. Another solution to the mentioned mogamis are Sommercables. All of their cables are very good, but the Epilog is really excellent, and much cheaper than monster. Gotham Cables also come to my mind.

Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

I wanted to pimp slap him

You roll hard damn!!

Old 8th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Worth it?
Simply, no.

Just get the soldering iron out and do it right, with the right cable and connectors.

Cheers,
CJ
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by idee und klang
Absolutly, The Monsters are worth nothing. Another solution to the mentioned mogamis are Sommercables. All of their cables are very good, but the Epilog is really excellent, and much cheaper than monster. Gotham Cables also come to my mind.

Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com
Daniel...

wondered already why you didn't mention FORCELINES cables, since you have already the best monitoring in the world !!!

http://www.fmacoustics.com/c_dom_speakercables.html

Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Helll...for speaker cables....

1. Find two pieces of 12 gauge stranded THHN (that's what electrical contractors drag inside of conduit)

2. Chuck the pair into a portable drill motor.

3. Spin the pair to create a speaker-lead.

4. Connect between amp and speaker.

4. Enjoy the fact you weren't jerked by $10000/foot bull**** cable.

Bri
Old 8th August 2005
I posted a thread about the head monster spilling the beans about his wire after a few drinks. It's all bull***t. He just makes the stuff up to look pretty and doesn't even test it.

If you want high end cable, there are great and legitimate sources for it. Try KimberKable, D.H. Labs, Cardas, etc.

I use mostly Ray Kimber's stuff and it does make a big difference.
You get what you pay for.
Mostly.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloClematide
Daniel...

wondered already why you didn't mention FORCELINES cables, since you have already the best monitoring in the world !!!

http://www.fmacoustics.com/c_dom_speakercables.html

Angelo

Never heard, but I might check them out.

Daniel
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

I would boycott monster just for the sole fact that they had that lawsuit bullshiit with products using the word "monster." The guy is obvious just out for a buck at any cost. In mogami literature it discusses the false claims that monster makes. For instance, the "time alignment" of frequencies is complete bullshiit because they claim that the thicker guage wire carries the low frequencies and the thinnger carries the high but there's no crossover in there and if there was any delay on any of them it would merely cause high frequency loss. All the wire carries all the frequencies.
Old 8th August 2005
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Hell no
to quote De chromium cob Hell no!
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I really like the mic cables I got from BLUE. The green one and the cranberry one...
We have a blue one as well that is good for general use... I think those are the cheaper ones.
The green ones and the cranberry ones actually sound better than a bunch of other cables I have tried. More "open." I like those...
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

monster is awefull

i know i'm not saying anything new here, but the more people that say it the better.

they sound like ****, the noise floor is high as ****, and they're expensive as ****

canare/belden/mogami is great as others have said
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Monster blows ass. The Jacks never fit anything properly. And they are wayyyy overpriced. they are for morons that have no clue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search