The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My first EQ?
Old 7th August 2005
Here for the gear

My first EQ?

Hey all,

Looking to get an EQ unit for tracking and mixing. Primarily will be used on vox and guitar but really looking for a swiss army type unit, something very flexible . . . looking to spend about $1500. I do have a API lunchbox that has two open spaces . . . Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

This Sony box right here is great... You get a microphone, a true ANALOG tape machiene, and an EQ for under $50
Attached Thumbnails
My first EQ?-big_mfstape.jpg  
Old 7th August 2005
Here for the gear

Ladies and gentlemen, Sender, give it up . . . he'll be here all week
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

For your Lunchbox, the API 10 band graphic EQ is really easy and quick to make changes to the tones of your sounds and it is more flexable than the three band parametric 550.

The Great River EQ is a really great sounding unit and very flexable. A bit more expensive than you want to go but you get two channels so you could use it during tracking for individual things that need a bit of help and then you could also use it during mixdown if you mix on a board. You could use it on individual tracks or on the whole mix inserted on the master mix bus, almost to master your mix while you are mixing it. So you see there are a lot of advantages to having two channels.

You will find that the majority of people will recommend the Great River. There really aren't any products that offer the same features and sound quality which compare at the moment.

Now, if you want the best EQ, buy a rackmounted AMS Neve 1073 re-issue channel strip. That is the best EQ on earth for tracking, plus you'll get the best mic preamp along with it. Not many people will disagree that the Neve 1073 and 1066 EQ's are at the very peak of the mountain.
Old 7th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
1066 EQ's are at the very peak of the mountain.

Must not be a very high mountain.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Haha, thank you, thank you! heh

On a more serious note.... I defintily would reocmend the Neve 1073 as well. It's a WONDERFUL EQ. You really couldn't ask for a better EQ. However.... I think it might be slightly out of your price range. So you might want to try the Amek Rupert Neve 9098i Channel Strip (you can find one new for right around a grand, and this used on in eBay for 800! http://cgi.ebay.com/Amek-System-9098...yphotohosting). In my opinion, the 9098i is probably Ruperts most under rated EQ.
I'm sure someone is going to beat me for this, but I like the SSL EQ's
....which you can also find in your price range on eBay.
Check out the Manley Massive Passive as well. Really the best thing to do, if possible, is to try and demo the gear, and see what you would like best.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
For your Lunchbox, the API 10 band graphic EQ is really easy and quick to make changes to the tones of your sounds and it is more flexable than the three band parametric 550.
Even better is the Sphere 900 graphic eq... All inductor based and very Pultec like....I think Primal Gear sells a pair for around $1500 racked and powered- Not sure if they have any more though.....

Quote:
Now, if you want the best EQ, buy a rackmounted AMS Neve 1073 re-issue channel strip. That is the best EQ on earth for tracking, plus you'll get the best mic preamp along with it. Not many people will disagree that the Neve 1073 and 1066 EQ's are at the very peak of the mountain.
I think you'll find many people that would dispute that- The 1081 eq is certainly much better as far as Neve eq's go.... I love the 1073 pre, and the eq is great, but not MY favorite.
Old 7th August 2005
The API's (560 and 550B) are great, the only thing I like them on is kick and snare though (I haven't tried the 550A which may be different). Look at the Great River & Buzz single channel units in your price range (you said $1500). Whatever you end up getting, make sure that it at least has 2 bands of fully parametric midrange (Q, lots of selectable or sweepable frequencies along with cut and boost). Fixed Q, or wide gaps in frequency selection will really limit the EQ's flexibility.
Old 7th August 2005
member no 666

If you have a Great River ME-1NV then the EQ-1NV will be an amazing companion that will give you all kinds of flexiblity besides being an amazing EQ... if you don't have the ME-1NV get one [just kidding]... seriously, if you don't have the ME-1NV then I'd probably recommend the Empirical Labs "Lil Freq". It's a couple bucks more than $1,500, but without a doubt one of the most flexible/useable/easy/musical/sophisticated equalizers I have ever met!!!

Though a matched pair of Speck Electronics ASC-T's wouldn't suck...

Best of luck with your search.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ear Yoshino eq

do not want to hijack, but I was offered a pre-owned EAR-Yoshino 825Q equalizer.
I understand it must be an outstanding piece of equipment but other than that I do not know much about it, and would like to know if any of you ever used one. I must say I already own a Millennia NSEQ2, and I was looking for something different (tracking/mixing), say a massive passive (this would cost new like the used EAR)
any suggestions?
best regards
Massimo
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Head

i just heard the EAR eq today and it sounds great, although i just compared it to a summit and a specks, but the lows and the highs were just outstanding...
if you can, do a shootout between the MP and the EAR and let us know what you think, cause i´m also in the market for my first real eq
good luck with your search...
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Head

any opinions on avalongs eq?
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sender
So you might want to try the Amek Rupert Neve 9098i Channel Strip (you can find one new for right around a grand, and this used on in eBay for 800! http://cgi.ebay.com/Amek-System-9098...yphotohosting). In my opinion, the 9098i is probably Ruperts most under rated EQ.
Someone just emailed me offering the last of the new 9098 pre/EQ units for $995 each. In the states, I believe. If you're interested, I'll see if I can find the email.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

I will second the 9098 EQ vote. For the money, there's nothing better. Enjoy the sheen and glow features.
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeslutz
any opinions on avalongs eq?

Nice on certain things.

Vanilla on others.
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo
do not want to hijack, but I was offered a pre-owned EAR-Yoshino 825Q equalizer.
I understand it must be an outstanding piece of equipment but other than that I do not know much about it, and would like to know if any of you ever used one. I must say I already own a Millennia NSEQ2, and I was looking for something different (tracking/mixing), say a massive passive (this would cost new like the used EAR)
any suggestions?
best regards
Massimo
Go with the Massive.

Its more versatile.

The EAR is nice albeit a little on the clean side.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Go with the Massive.

Its more versatile.

The EAR is nice albeit a little on the clean side.
Are you going to triple his budget for him?

Hell, go with the GML 8200 while your at it.
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c
Are you going to triple his budget for him?

Hell, go with the GML 8200 while your at it.
Buddy i was responding to Massimo.

For the original poster, i would suggest to save his pennies and pick up either the Great River EQ or that new Lil Freq thing.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry, I didn't read it all. My bad everybody!!!

I stand corrected.
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c
Sorry, I didn't read it all. My bad everybody!!!

I stand corrected.
thumbsup
Old 8th August 2005
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, think I'll save for the Great River stereo EQ . . . or would you save even more for the Manley? Is it that much better? What about their Pultec clones?
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear
Api Eq's

If you already have API rack, then a API 550A would be a sweet eq to have.
I like the 550b's for more surgical eq.

Another nice eq with a fine preamp is the Daking pre/eq. Very nice
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

yes, i'll second that. for $1295 (plus power supply), the Daking would definately be my choice. sounds beautiful and has personality unlike anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
If you already have API rack, then a API 550A would be a sweet eq to have.
I like the 550b's for more surgical eq.

Another nice eq with a fine preamp is the Daking pre/eq. Very nice
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopgo
Thanks guys, think I'll save for the Great River stereo EQ . . . or would you save even more for the Manley? Is it that much better? What about their Pultec clones?
Better is not the right word but different.

2 different tools for all kinds if jobs.

Normally i would give the protocol High End Gearslutz answer to get both, but if you need something to start of with the Great River EQ will do fine.

On the Pultec clones thing personally i would pass right now.
Old 8th August 2005
now you have 10 diffrent models to choose from..

that's audio.. based on opinions, not on numbers..

Quote:
Not many people will disagree that the Neve 1073 and 1066 EQ's are at the very peak of the mountain
I disagree.. Neve 1073 sounds "too" warm ==> muddy for me.

1066 EQ's.. sorry, never used em..
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola

I disagree.. Neve 1073 sounds "too" warm ==> muddy for me.

When Neve's are muddy it means they need to be recapped.

A recapped Neve is usually clean and tight sounding.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

anyone here working with the BAE e15?
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
When Neve's are muddy it means they need to be recapped.
ok learned something.. hum, sometimes I think all gear older than your mom is good
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Right now I'm testing an pre/eq (mono channelstrip) from a new small company...

http://www.sky-audio.net/

To make it short: This is one of the best sounding eqs I've ever heard! Very sweet differentiated highs, very powerful and precise lows, good mids.
The strengths are especially the highs and lows. From what I understand it is an improved pultec design. The overall sound is very natural, sounds never harsh or equed. Haven't tested the pre so far.

Andreas
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm late to the party, but I love the Buzz MPE - that thing is plain great and not too expensive!

Jo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search