The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low noise, high gain Preamp suggestions?
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Head

Low noise, high gain Preamp suggestions?

Hi everyone! I am new to this group, and must say I've read some very interesting and useful comments. Hope you can help me with this issue:
I own a small studio and what we do most is foley, mostly for foreign countries. We are looking for a new preamp/eq on the "under $2000" rank. The great inconvenience we have, is that there is almost no reseller of these type of equipment where I live (Argentina). So I must buy without the chance of really listening to what I am aquiring... I know it must sound kind of silly for you.... but I have no other chance.
I know the majority of you don't record foley, but I can say our basic needs are:
very low noise, high output gain (continuous, not steps), and eq possibilities.
For what I've seen our chances would be: Focusrite Red 6 (used), Focusrite ISA 220, Amek 9098 eq.
What are your opinions? any input would be greatley appreciatted.

TK.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi
Hi everyone! I am new to this group, and must say I've read some very interesting and useful comments. Hope you can help me with this issue:
I own a small studio and what we do most is foley, mostly for foreign countries. We are looking for a new preamp/eq on the "under $2000" rank. The great inconvenience we have, is that there is almost no reseller of these type of equipment where I live (Argentina). So I must buy without the chance of really listening to what I am aquiring... I know it must sound kind of silly for you.... but I have no other chance.
I know the majority of you don't record foley, but I can say our basic needs are:
For what I've seen our chances would be: Focusrite Red 6 (used), Focusrite ISA 220, Amek 9098 eq.

TK.
what mic?

Speck Pre/EQ for under $1300. Great River MP1NV and EQ1NV for around $2000. these are on the warm side.

Cleaner yet ... Milennia STT Origin, more like $2400.

GML 2020, $3200 or so.

Again, what mic?
Old 7th August 2005
Your best bet for the $

Your money would be well spent on the AU 6176, about $2000. You get a class A mic pre and a 1176LN limiting amp in the same box. Couple this with a quality mic- say a Neumann U87 and youv'e got the warmth your looking for.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for your replies.
The microphones we usually employ are Sennheiser MKH 416 or Sennheiser MKH 50. Ocassionally a Schoeps CMC4 MK4, or Neumann TLM 103. We're not looking for a warm sound particullary, and certainly use much more eq than compression on our recordings. We need very low noise floor and transparency.
any opinions? thank you very mucho for your responses.

TK.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for your replies.
The microphones we usually employ are Sennheiser MKH 416 or Sennheiser MKH 50. Ocassionally a Schoeps CMC4 MK4, or Neumann TLM 103. We're not looking for a warm sound particullary, and certainly use much more eq than compression on our recordings. We need very low noise floor and transparency.
any opinions? thank you very mucho for your responses.

TK.
i have a sonosax dual mic pre (swiss made), which runs on batteries, is very portable, transparent, extremely quiet and gives you 75dB+ gain. don't use it any more. it's in perfect shape. if you're interested PM me - i could give it to you at dealer cost - about $800. http://www.sonosax.ch/SXM2/sxm2.html
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Head

Thanks, but I don't think that is what I'm looking for.
Can anyone who actually used Focusrite Red 6 help me out? I am between this one and Amek 9098 eq. Should I post this as a new "focusrite Red 6 vs Amek 9098" thread? admins?

thanks a lot to anyone who can help me on this matter.

TK.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Guru

Don't rule out the Great River MP2H. That their clean model and it's wonderful.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I got an unsolicted email from this guy yesterday. I have nothing to do with this company but FWIW...www.studiocare.com
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
our basic needs are:

TK.
When I read this my first thought is GML 2032.
Very low noise, high output gain and EQ.

There are some others I could think of, but the Focusrite? For foley - no. Focusrite sounds always kind of little undetailed and soft to me.

Others: Millennia, Grace, Earthworks. Only Millennia has models with EQ.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Head

Thank you Adebar!
It's very useful too me that sort of comments, since I have no experience with these... (I can't tell you how much I'd like to try them myself!! play around with different gear and decide for what I hear.....)
Sadly GML 2032 cost too much money for what I can pay. I've read some very good comments on that one. What do you think of Amek 9098 eq? I know it's not so well criticized in this forum. But I have received some good recommendations, precisely for foley...

TK.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Just a thought but you might want to look at this as well.

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/pacifica.htm

Pricing is around 1600.00 usd

Just a thought that's all.

Peter Montessi
A Designs Audio
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I think this would be worth checking out. The picture seems to be wrong but I know these preamps are super clean and quite. I'm sure the EQ is really nice also. I've never heard of any one using one of these but it's probably similare to a neotek. I would give mike (the Owner) a call +1 (847) 550-0100. He is a cool guy and is very helpfull

http://www.sytek-audio-systems.com/products/eq/eq4x-m1/

I've used a Focusrite ISA430 for the past 5 years as my main channel strip and I've been really happy with it but I'm not sure it would be the best thing for your applications.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you Adebar!
It's very useful too me that sort of comments, since I have no experience with these... (I can't tell you how much I'd like to try them myself!! play around with different gear and decide for what I hear.....)
Sadly GML 2032 cost too much money for what I can pay. I've read some very good comments on that one. What do you think of Amek 9098 eq? I know it's not so well criticized in this forum. But I have received some good recommendations, precisely for foley...

TK.
I haven´t tried the 9098 myself but a friend of mine uses it frequently for its stereo pair during rcording classical music. He was trying different preamps and stayed with the amek. As I´m very often doing the CD dulication for him and hearhis recordings i have to say that they sound always open, detailed with a good stereo image, and uncolored to me. He surely does a good job, but the amek cannot be bad to reach these results.

I never tried the amek together with a GML, Millennia or Grace, which i ASUME they are more neutral, but i don´t´really know.
Old 14th August 2005
Quote:
I've read some very good comments on that one. What do you think of Amek 9098 eq? I know it's not so well criticized in this forum. But I have received some good recommendations, precisely for foley...

TK.
Too hard sounding for me, I think lucey's recommendations above are right on
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. You are providing me for a lot of links to know equipment I didn't know they existed, and learning much about preamps.
As I've said before, it's very difficult to get this kind of stuff here where I live. So there is almost no chance to find a Great River or Millennia, and I can't spend more than $2,000 to afford a GML. I have this opportunity of getting a used Focusrite Red 6, and would like very much to know your opinions. I've read somewhere that they're used at Pinewood for foley and ADR, that encouraged me...

Thanks for your comments.

TK.
Old 14th August 2005
don't forget the speck channel strip is under $2000, you should talk to fletcher, his shop ships worldwide
Old 14th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

The DACS 2 channel preamp might be right up your alley, I've been using one for a short while now and am amazed at its detail and clarity.

The Speck is an excellent choice for what you're looking for as well, and that transformer output gives you a little added sheen when desirable.

War
Old 15th August 2005
More cowbell!

I'd agree with the transformerless Speck channel strip for your descibed use. Though it seems you would want two channels? In any case, you first say one channel of pre and eq, clean, high gain, under $2k. That would be the Speck.

Pick one up from Mercenary, try it, if you don't like it, he will take it back, less shipping.

I would never choose the Focusrites for that kind of task. I would avoid the Amek also, though if I had to choose, I would take it. But, that product is no longer manufactured or supported, which is also bad.

Good Luck!
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Head

Thanks again, everyone! Seems everything points towards Speck.
Natpub, why is it that you wouldn't choose the Focusrite?

TK.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Not to make your research more difficult, but the Sebatron Thorax would be worth checking out. Excellent detail, good compression, and EQ that could really suit your purpose.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

John Hardy pres, or Jensen. Hi gain, low noise, big.

Oh yeah, and GML.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

thanks again for your kind advise.
I am sorry for my ignorance on this subject, and I really want to learn, shamely without the bennefit of actually listening to the preamps....
I keep reading all these names on this kind of threads, but can't find comments on the Focusrite. The thing is I grew up my teenage years reading (maybe the wrong magazines?) about these great sounding preamps, and when I finally get my chance of putting my hands on one of their "red face", I keep receiving a "not the Focusrite for foley" advise. What is it about them? Are they noisy, unclear? too colored, undetailed? Or just there are newer preamps that sound much better? Please help me to understand.

TK.

PS: untill now, been working with my Sound Devices and it was fine, except maybe when I had to add lots of gain. > Don't pretend to be an excuse, but trying to let you know wich scale of tiny little gearslut I am....
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

The JM 130 Mic Pre is a clean very quiet pre with 65db of gain and a nice warm sound. A 990 Op Amp Based pre amp with high headroom and wide dynamic range. They will also work with a Brent Averill or API Power supply with a drop in headroom because of the lower supply rails. WWW.jmkaudio.com
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
Don't rule out the Great River MP2H. That their clean model and it's wonderful.
I'll second that........and also the Forssell JMP-6. The Forssell is in the same league as the GR and you get 6 channels for around $2400.00.

I own both. I love both.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
what mic?

GML 2020, $3200 or so.
Wrong model #. I think you meant the 8304, which is $3425 with the PSU, or the 2032, which is $3000.

The 2020 is $6K

All are clean with lots of gain.
Old 17th August 2005
TER
Gear Maniac

The Millennia TD1 has an HV3 mic pre and two bands of parametric eq. Quiet, great sounding, flexible, portable.

Millennia TD-1

-tom
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TER
The Millennia TD1 has an HV3 mic pre and two bands of parametric eq. Quiet, great sounding, flexible, portable.

Millennia TD-1

-tom

great idea

best one yet for price/performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddP
Wrong model #. I think you meant the 8304, which is $3425 with the PSU, or the 2032, which is $3000.

The 2020 is $6K
oops!
Old 17th August 2005
7om
Gear Maniac

Another vote for the TD-1. I have 2 and they are great, not to mention incredibly flexible. Call Millennia and ask who you can order from. I'm sure there are dealers who will ship anywhere.
Old 17th August 2005
More cowbell!

Yeah, I had forgotten all about that Millenia. It is definately the best choice for that application and price range.

Takeshi, as far as the Focusrite stuff, certain pieces are really awesome, such as the original 110 and the high end blue series stuff. Some of the red range can be OK for certain apps, but it not going to be a clean or high gain (which seems a must for something that can be as quiet as foley work) as the Millenia or other superior pre's for that kind of app.

A lot of people are suggesting things that have no eq, so I guess they did not read your post thoroughly. I think the negatives you read about focusrite tend to result more from their recent tendency to make a lot of low range consumer garbage, I think it fooled some into buying it based on the name, only to find out later that they had been duped, but that is just a guess on my part.

As far as calling millenia to find a dealer who will ship to you, I am sure our brother Nathan would probly be glad to hook you up:

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/td1directtwin.html

Also, looks like you get some kinda bonus prize if you order soon---looks like some kinda promo deal, cool.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
Yeah, I had forgotten all about that Millenia. It is definately the best choice for that application and price range.

Takeshi, as far as the Focusrite stuff, certain pieces are really awesome, such as the original 110 and the high end blue series stuff. Some of the red range can be OK for certain apps, but it not going to be a clean or high gain (which seems a must for something that can be as quiet as foley work) as the Millenia or other superior pre's for that kind of app.

A lot of people are suggesting things that have no eq, so I guess they did not read your post thoroughly. I think the negatives you read about focusrite tend to result more from their recent tendency to make a lot of low range consumer garbage, I think it fooled some into buying it based on the name, only to find out later that they had been duped, but that is just a guess on my part.

As far as calling millenia to find a dealer who will ship to you, I am sure our brother Nathan would probly be glad to hook you up:

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/td1directtwin.html

Also, looks like you get some kinda bonus prize if you order soon---looks like some kinda promo deal, cool.
I've got a Red 7 and my next pre is going to be a Red 1 or another Forssell JMP6. The Red 1 does sound a little different from the 7 with the comp out of the path, but it's got a very sweet top, though not as transparent as the GR or a Forssell.. I posted earlier about the Forssell JMP6. This really is a fine piece. Fred Forssell did a lot fo the design work for Millennia.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search