The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
any 414eb users ?
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

any 414eb users ?

dose anyone out there have the eb series with the c12 capsule ?
I have a chance to get a few and would like hear some opinions
Rip
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevermil
Rip
I have a pair- They are so much better than the Teflon capsule varieties it isn't even funny.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevermil
Rip
somewhere on the web (perhaps the akg forums?), i saw a post by klaus heyne detailing how to check the viability of the c12 capsule for the 414eb. iirc, he'd said that only 1 in 4 is working correctly. might be worth checking over at his forum at PSW.

edit: here it is
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Klaus has my pair at the moment to clean and treat the capsules. I have yet another one coming in the mail. I love these things, but I told you that in Klaus' forum already.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

AKG stole your capsule !
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict

414EB

Is there a place to search serial numbers for dating the mic?
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjy King
Is there a place to search serial numbers for dating the mic?
There is not. Unlike Neumann, AKG did not record manufacturing or shipping dates of its mics. (Or if they did, they have not found them to date.)

Here is the time line for the 414 model:

1971- Replacement of the C412 with the C414 Comb (still with old-type Cannon-connector equipped wedge-shaped bottom, and silver housing, as found on C12A)

1977- Introduction C414 EB (XLR- type connector and silver housing, with shape as currently still used on all 414s)

1986- End of C414 EB, which is replaced by the C414 B-ULS series and black housing.

During the first years of production, the EB still came with the old-style CK12 capsule (brass diaphragm rings with 12 tiny brass screws per side.) Sometime in the early 1980s this capsule was replaced with the new-style Teflon capsule (white plastic ring around the periphery of the capsule, no diaphragm screws)

Kind regards,
Klaus Heyne
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Klaus mentioned this in his forum, and I have my own personal experience with this as well, but apparently you can't tell which 414EBs are going to have CK12 capsules from the serial numbers, if that's what you are getting at by asking about serial numbers.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
apparently you can't tell which 414EBs are going to have CK12 capsules from the serial numbers
i wonder why that is. is it because someone lost the sheet that said where the change occurred, or is it something more insidious, like the numbers aren't in order or they went back and forth between capsules during the run?

fwiw, i've got #4853 and #6181, and they've both got the teflon capsule. am i in error assuming all the ck12 capsules have serial numbers below 4853?
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20
i wonder why that is. is it that because someone lost the sheet that said where the change occurred, or is it something more insidious, like the numbers aren't in order or they went back and forth between capsules during the run?

fwiw, i've got #4853 and #6181, and they've both got the teflon capsule. am i in error assuming all the ck12 capsules have serial numbers below 4853?
I think it at least partially due to what 'gevermil' alluded to in a previous post. Its well known that AKG would "upgrade" the capsule without the owners consent when 414s with the original C-12 capsule were sent in for service....

FWIW, The two I have are serial number 1742 and 3383 and have the C-12 capsule....

Also Klaus failed to mention the black 414 EB 'P48' models that came out somewhere inbetween the silver 414EB and the 414ULS. To my knowledge none of them have the original C12 capsule.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
I think it at least partially due to what 'gevermil' alluded to in a previous post. Its well known that AKG would "upgrade" the capsule without the owners consent when 414s with the original C-12 capsule were sent in for service....
that makes sense. i would suspect that, w/ a little more data, we could start making definitive statements like "models w/ numbers above XXXX were originally made w/ the teflon capsule, while those w/ numbers below YYYYY were originally made w/ the brass capsule."

iow, i have a hard time believing a german company would be so haphazard w/ their numbering schemes.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
i wonder why that is. is it because someone lost the sheet that said where the change occurred, or is it something more insidious, like the numbers aren't in order or they went back and forth between capsules during the run?

Correct. One of my 414EBs has a higher ser. # yet has the CK12.

Quote:
that makes sense. i would suspect that, w/ a little more data, we could start making definitive statements like "models w/ numbers above XXXX were originally made w/ the teflon capsule, while those w/ numbers below YYYYY were originally made w/ the brass capsule."

iow, i have a hard time believing a german company would be so haphazard w/ their numbering schemes.
First off, they're Austrian, not German. tutt And as I said, the serial numbers really seem to give no indication whatsoever which capsule you will encounter. Klaus had claimed this, and my experience w/ buying 414EBs is consistent with the statement.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
First off, they're Austrian, not German.
ahhh, that would explain the odd numbering. (kidding)

so, for my two, i like the sound of each (one is darker than the other) but am wondering how much better they could be if i sent them to klaus. but then i start wondering if by 'fixing' them, they'll lose the magic i hear in them now.

for those who've gotten their EBs serviced, do you do it as a matter of course, or only if there's clearly a problem?

fwiw, on the one i use more (great for intimate female vox), the mount is broken -- frozen in place but loose; i have to use gaff tape to keep it from moving.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
so, for my two, i like the sound of each (one is darker than the other) but am wondering how much better they could be if i sent them to klaus. but then i start wondering if by 'fixing' them, they'll lose the magic i hear in them now.
I have a U67 that Klaus modified and would highly recommend his work. I cant imagine them not getting significantly better with him working on them.

Quote:
for those who've gotten their EBs serviced, do you do it as a matter of course, or only if there's clearly a problem?
Don't fix it if it's not broken is my motto....
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Don't fix it if it's not broken is my motto....
i hear that.

but now that i think about it, the very first thing i did w/ them was an m/s test, and the center image ended up pretty far off center...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search