The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CAPSULES - M7 and K47 - proximity effect differences? Condenser Microphones
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

CAPSULES - M7 and K47 - proximity effect differences?

Can anyone confirm this M7 vs K47 proximity effect behavior from the comments below ?

This is the first I've heard about the M7 having a differenct proximity effect than a K47 capsule ...

I LIKE lots of proximity effect out at least 6 inches ... so this is important news to me !!

Please confirm or not - thanks all.
=========== M7 & K47 CAPSULE ========

"As regards the CM7 with the M7 capsule sounding "not big, or too thin"

My understanding of the M7 capsule, after an email chat with Dave Bock, a while ago is:

The whole point about the construction of the M7 capsule is that is has very little proximity effect UNTIL you get very close THEN you can get significant bass boost.

The K47 and K67 type capsules have a significant proximity effect at much greater distances.

I bought the CM7 knowing this before hand - it WAS the reason I wanted the CM7 with M7 capsule. When I got the mic it behaved exactly like this - very little proximity effect at 6 inches - but huge proximity at 1"

THis is what I LOVE about an M7 - I like to get in really really close on an U47 as it just sounds so intimate and sexy. At 3" the sound is perfectly balanced with almost no need for EQ.

If you record at 6-12" the bass is all captured an can easliy be brought out with EQ but that gives a different style and feel to the vocal.

In contrast a BLUE Bottle with B6 has a bottom end on it at 6" that to me is completely "over blown" and always requires cutting.

The proximity behavoir of the M7 is not like modern capsules and in my very humble opinion and daily use is what makes it so very special for recording vocals.
"
Old 21st May 2009
Lives for gear

Can anyone confirm from experience what David Bock is saying re proximity differences ? Please ??

jls.
Old 21st May 2009
Gear Nut

I did a recording last week using a original Neumann M7 mounted in one of my bottles (Cmv563 this time). The song was a celtic style song and the female vocals needed to be very intimacy.
The track was perfect using the M7 at about 3 inch, I just added some compression but eq was not need in mixing or tracking
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Hi - reviving the thread ...

Would be useful to know how the K47 vs M7 differs in its proximity "reach" ... since I don't like to get right up on my mics for vocals ...

For example , the Wunder cm7 GT k47 vs the GT M7 ... again in terms of proximity "reach" ... I'd need to know this before buying ...

Any help out there ??

Thanks all,

jls.
Old 7th August 2009
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsgear View Post
Hi - reviving the thread ...

Would be useful to know how the K47 vs M7 differs in its proximity "reach" ... since I don't like to get right up on my mics for vocals ...

For example , the Wunder cm7 GT k47 vs the GT M7 ... again in terms of proximity "reach" ... I'd need to know this before buying ...

Any help out there ??

Thanks all,

jls.
Wrong forum...
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Nut

M7s

Right forum, wrong answer...

I can confirm the performance of M7s, as I have several M7 capsuled mics. I use an UM92.1s, UMT800, and M71 cap on a M582, and they have they same or similar reach, as you have described by David Bock. I did have a M147 which has a K47, and it didn't have the same "reach". I didn't have the opportunity to do an A/B, as I sold the M147
for the UM92.1s. I'm much happier now. But, that's more than likely the difference in quality between the Sennheiser/Neumann mic and the Neumann Gefell. My clients are much happier, too.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

So just to clarify ... you are agreeing the M7 does NOT have as much proximity reach (but lots at close) ... as with this statement :
"The whole point about the construction of the M7 capsule is that is has very little proximity effect UNTIL you get very close THEN you can get significant bass boost."
Thanks for you input, jls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlemusic View Post
Right forum, wrong answer...

I can confirm the performance of M7s, as I have several M7 capsuled mics. I use an UM92.1s, UMT800, and M71 cap on a M582, and they have they same or similar reach, as you have described by David Bock. I did have a M147 which has a K47, and it didn't have the same "reach". I didn't have the opportunity to do an A/B, as I sold the M147
for the UM92.1s. I'm much happier now. But, that's more than likely the difference in quality between the Sennheiser/Neumann mic and the Neumann Gefell. My clients are much happier, too.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Generally speaking,i prefer M7 equipped mics for ambient stuff over K47 equipped mics.M49's,U47's etc...

There is always the exception though.

Mike
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsgear View Post
So just to clarify ... you are agreeing the M7 does NOT have as much proximity reach (but lots at close) ... as with this statement :
"The whole point about the construction of the M7 capsule is that is has very little proximity effect UNTIL you get very close THEN you can get significant bass boost."
Thanks for you input, jls.
Yes! It's more balanced, to me. If given the choice, I would always take an M7. Not that the K47 is bad. It's just my preference.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlemusic View Post
...If given the choice, I would always take an M7. Not that the K47 is bad. It's just my preference.
I'm inclined to agree with this. It's source dependent, of course, as well as dependent on what mic body it's in. But I do slightly favor mics that are M7 equipped, all else being equal.
Old 8th August 2009
Gear Maniac

A great build K47 has more body, warmth and a tad more ouput in a great way whereas the M7 has more silk. Both great qualities. I never would go that far to say the M7 is better. I love both on a appropriate source.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search