The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using the SPL Premium Mic Pre for thier RackPack? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone using the SPL Premium Mic Pre for their RackPack?

Hopefully next month I should be receiving a RackPack from SPL for trails as I won't promote a product until we've used it in our own studio. Obviously I'll form my own opinions when I've used them but I was just wondering what everyone else experiences are so far with the Premium Mic Pre module?

Cheers Steve
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Take it no ones using them then lol!
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

I'm surprised no one is using these as SPLs sales figures seem quite high
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear

Bumping this thread as I'm surprised no one has heard these pres.
Transformer in and out fully discrete, sounds interesting to me.
Looking forward to testing the demo rack next month.
Old 14th June 2009
Gear Head

Bump.
I've read about these pres. They're meant to be amazing.
Who's got them?
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Head

Bump Again???

Don't understand why there are no comebacks?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Would like to hear from anyone using the Premium and/or Preference RackPack pres as well.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry I should have posted this earlier.

The guys at SPL were kind enough to leave a fully loaded RackPack with me for a month. Unfortunately SPL don't have that boutique vibe to them like some other brands which means the RackPack will never get the feedback on this forum it deserves.

Every module available for the RP is stunning but none more than the Premium Pre. It's got everything you need. A huge sound that you'd expect from a tranny in/out pre. Not dissimilar to early 70's Brit pre's but with more headroom and a much more open high end. In the month I had it I used it on both male/female vox, guitar, kick drum and mono front of kit mic. It performed superbly and could easily become a goto pre for me in many situations. My only regret is that the SPL RP I had was loaded with one Premium and one Preference Pre. I would have loved to hear a pair of Premiums on drum O/Hs

As I explained above, it's unlikely that you'll see the Premium mentioned much here, but maybe that's a good thing as it could be a secret weapon for those will to try something new!

The double bonus is that SPL have now released a RP that will take 4 of their own modules and 4 500 series modules! This it what I would have initially gone for myself, but having now spent time with the RP I could very much see myself filling 8 SPL slots. I'd have 4 Premium Pre without question.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

What did you not like about the Preference? What mic pre would both the Preference and the Premium be most like? Thanks!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR01 View Post
What did you not like about the Preference? What mic pre would both the Preference and the Premium be most like? Thanks!
I didn't not like the Preference Pre. If you're after a high headroom, clean and transparent pre then the Preference is a VERY affordable choice and an excellent performer!

The Premium is simply much huger sounding and has a warmth and fullness you'd expect from a tranny in/out pre.

I going to see how the budget goes over the Christmas period and if funds allow then I'm having a RackPack with 4 Premiums.
Old 13th December 2011
Seems this is the only thread I've found discussing the SPL Premium Mic Pre's. I have the RackPack 8 coming filled with them this Christmas. Very excited.
Old 25th December 2014
Here for the gear

About SPL...

These models:

- Gold Mike MK2 (Model 2485)

- Premium Preamplifier (Model 1212)

Are far superior technically than most of Pres out there (Neve, Api, etc) Since i have them all i can tell, but as i always say:

Get a Mic Split box, level both takes so the difference is max 0.1dB and compare yourself... you will be shocked.

SPL is made in Germany and regarding these 2 models (and the Gain Station of course) there is NOTHING cheap inside.

Peace
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Head
Do you have a Summit Audio 2ba-221 to compare to the MK2 premium w/ Lundahl transformers? I understand the quality, just curious how much different they sound..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search