The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stereo LA2A?
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Stereo LA2A?

hi. I love the LA2A but i usually record in stereo. should i just get two LA2A's or are there other alternatives in a stereo box?

thanks,
k
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I understand that the ADL 1500 is "LA/2A - like" in some ways. Maybe someone who has one can elaborate. When I was shopping for vocal compressors, Anthony insisted on sending a 1000 for me to demo; I was too crammed at the time to make it happen, but it wasn't like he knows me or anything.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

The distressor has some cool presets to try that can give you what you are looking for. I have never tried any of the settings below next the the real thing but hey, maybe it will do the trick. Here is what they say.

CLASSIC EMULATION

Since the unit is based on the oldest compressor topology, the unit can be made to sound very similar to older classics. The nonlinear nature of the older gain control elements of opto-couplers, FET's, pentode (or triode) tube bias or "mu" modulation, etc., can be closely emulated if proper settings are used. A special "Opto" mode has been provided in the 10:1 ratio.

Some Examples:
*To simulate the opto-VCA tube models of old (the LA2, LA3, LA4, DeMaria, Meek units), try 10:1 "Opto" ratio, with attack on 10, release on 0, Det HP on. Adjust input and outputs to your taste. Remember our LED metering deflects much faster than the old VU's so don't be afraid to hit the unit quite hard (10-20 dB of compression on peaks). Try Dist 2 & 3 mode, but let your ears be your guide. Try faster attacks (4-9) for more aggressive sounding compression.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Guru

Eclair Engineering "La-La" stereo tube comp/limiter- not cheap but supposedly the real deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo LA2A?-lala.jpg  
Old 6th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I understand that the ADL 1500 is "LA/2A - like" in some ways. Maybe someone who has one can elaborate. When I was shopping for vocal compressors, Anthony insisted on sending a 1000 for me to demo; I was too crammed at the time to make it happen, but it wasn't like he knows me or anything.

I would pass on the 1500.

It doesn't even sound like the 1000.

Its a little too crunchy for my taste.
Old 6th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtr2
hi. I love the LA2A but i usually record in stereo. should i just get two LA2A's or are there other alternatives in a stereo box?

thanks,
k

What would you be recording in stereo with 2 LA2A's?

A stereo bass track?
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

i'd be recording and mixing stereo guitar (acoustic and electric), piano, overheads, keyboards, samples, etc.

thanks,
k
Old 6th August 2005
Quote:
i'd be recording and mixing stereo guitar (acoustic and electric), piano, overheads, keyboards, samples, etc.

thanks,
k

There are other compressors i would choose first for those things personally.

I like La2a's best for mixing bass.

Secondly would be mixing the occasional troubled vocal.

For tracking an acoustic guitar or bass the Tubetech CL1B for me is a better choice.

For compressing a piano the SSL mixbuss comp or the Chandler TG1 is hard to beat.
Old 6th August 2005
Here for the gear

Requisite L2M

http://www.requisiteaudio.com/products/l2m/index.html

Very Nice.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
Eclair Engineering "La-La" stereo tube comp/limiter- not cheap but supposedly the real deal.
I'm lucky to have one... not made anymore...

Wouldn't trade it for 10 vintage LA-2As

(okay, that might be dumb economics, but you know what I mean)

-dave
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Don't forget the Peavey VC-L2.
It's a dual mono LA-2A knock-off, but a really nice one that is.

All tube, large Reichenbach xformers and it uses an electroluminescent panel as gain readuction element, just like the T4B in the LA2A.

They can be had for around $800.00 on eBay but they don't show up all too often.
IIRC Peavey also offers a stereo link mod.

You may want to get a nice Pam Anderson sticker to cover the Peavey logo...

My 2 cents.

Michael
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict

In my experience the ADL units are MUCH smoother & more transparent if you get some premium NOS tubes in 'em...
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Guru

Well . . . I was going to suggest the Peavy VC/L-2 but decided that since it's the high end forum I'd resist. But three years ago when I was searching for the same thing (a stereo LA2A type) this is what was suggested by several posters. I found one for $800 on eBy and haven't looked back. It's pretty sensitive and gets dirty quick (it's not particuarly transparent - but since I have Millennia's I can use the color here when I desire it) but it's great and does have a similar vibe to the LA2A. I have the stereo mod. It was done before I bought it.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:

Requisite L2M ... a hi fi version with low passing sidechain, warm tranny low end, nice tube 'size', smoothe, 3:1 or 10:1
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Requisite L2M looks goood. so does an Eclair LA-LA. i wonder how they would compare?

i am after natural, full bodied warm sound- acoustic music with some sampling- complex musical content as well. my gut instinct tells me the LA-LA is more in that direction, for some reason...
k
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

recording music is like making wine- all the right elements must combine and mature in all the right ways over time to make a full bodied, balanced, deep sound
Old 16th November 2012
Here for the gear

Okay, I know this is an old thread... But Dave - You couldn't be more correct!!! We're one of the lucky ones like you to have an Eclair La-La... Frankly, I'll see your 10 and raise another 10!!!! haha The La-La is probably the most amazing limiter I've ever used!
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear
Plus 4 on the Evil Twin, or anything else made by Bruce. The evil Twin is the best tube di I ever heard.

I have some LA4s he moded.....sound great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search