The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ADAM VS DYNAUDIO
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

ADAM VS DYNAUDIO

Quick question...if you don't have the bucks for the Adam S series, and you are looking at the P11a, would Dynaudio have more to offer? I'm in a small mixing room at home, and do everything from pop to symphonic. Am coming from Genelec 1030a to something new that does better with mixes translating.

Thanks
Tom
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I used the Genilec 1030's for 10 years and just switched to Dynaudio bm5a's...love 'em. The sound more natural to me. My mixes are coming out a little smoother. I am very happy with them.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I switched from Dyn BM6's to S3A's and am loving every minute of it. No more guess work. I'm in a small room too but was too in love with the S3A's to get the smaller speakers.

One of my producing partners has the P11A's in his room and I have no trouble whatsoever working on them. I still derive the same benefits working on them over other speakers as I do working on my own S3A's. If P11's are what suits your budget and room go for it. FWIW I assisted for years at a room with 1031's and I'd take the Adam P series over them hands down.

G
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Cannot compare to the others you've listed, but I have the Adams P11's, and they're a great box.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioboy6
The Adams were really nice but they sounded a little to smooth on the top for me.
No such thing in the S2a/S2.5a/S3a's I demod in my own studio...

Greetigns,
Dirk
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the feedback.

I get the P11a's on Monday, can't wait.

I'd love to afford the S series but can't right now, so these will have to do....I have a feeling from what everyone's said that they will be just fine, I'll put up some feedback after a few days of working with them.

Thanks again
Tom
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm in love with my Dyn BM15A's sound more like what I want to hear. The Adams were really nice but they sounded a little to smooth on the top for me. I don't remember what model I was listening to. However this could be a good thing depending on what kind of music you work on and wether listening fatigue is an issue for you. My 2 cents.
got BM15As and S3As. for the moment i'm not selling the 15s, but the adams smooth on top? not the ones i have!
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have been using BM 15's for years, the bottom end is great and true, the top a little harsh at loud volumes.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was listening to either the S2A or the S2.5A. I'm curios as to how you guys would describe the sound of them. Maybe my use of the word smooth is the wrong word to describe what I was hearing. To me the high end sounded a little to reserved and it didn't seem to have the zingy top that I hear from a lot of other monitores Like Genelecs or some KRKs.

Also Maybe my prespective was a little off. I only listend to them for about 20 minutes with one source material. I aslo listened to the Adams right after listening to a pair of KRK E8's. And this is after listening to a pair of Linn 328As for a month.
I don't know how to describe the highs on my S3a's, just that they reveal anything that sticks out for a rong reason...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I was listening to either the S2A or the S2.5A. I'm curios as to how you guys would describe the sound of them. Maybe my use of the word smooth is the wrong word to describe what I was hearing. To me the high end sounded a little to reserved and it didn't seem to have the zingy top that I hear from a lot of other monitores Like Genelecs or some KRKs.

Also Maybe my prespective was a little off. I only listend to them for about 20 minutes with one source material. I aslo listened to the Adams right after listening to a pair of KRK E8's. And this is after listening to a pair of Linn 328As for a month.
I replaced my KRK V8s with the Adam S2As because the V8's top-end was too brash for me.... And I've tested several Dynaudios and simply didn't care for them - I found them thin in the upper mids. With the Adam - as someone else pointed out - I find there's absolutely no guesswork to the sound.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict

The highs on my S3As I'd describe as smooth but accurate. The mids...are like my wife, she makes sure I don't bull**** myself.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bear Sound
And I've tested several Dynaudios and simply didn't care for them - I found them thin in the upper mids...
I own BM6As, and I would agree with this. I find it a little tough to get the top end right.

I've tracked & rough mixed on S3As at a studio I freelance at... I've not spent too many hours on them to, but already feel the pull... They're sort of immediately trustworthy... Another engineer there claims that they need a sub for mixing...
Old 7th August 2005
jho
Lives for gear

both rock
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

hey j.ho did you ever get my pm???

anyways...
i choose dynaudios.. reason being.. the adams are bright as hell for no reason. they have an extended hiend that i don't like while mixing. i was getting the adam 2.5a's for my new studio and went with the Genelec 8050's over them in a split second.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
...the adams are bright as hell for no reason.

their extreme brightness is what makes them so revealing of detail; likewise the atc's i've used.

my beef is that the brightness has a very specific character that doesn't reflect the actual tone of the freqs being presented. the whole speaker, imo, has a very distinct footprint that masks the true vibe of the production. so balances are very easy to achieve, and they translate really well, which is a good thing. but i can't actually get at the truth of how all those freqs 'feel', which results in an experience i ultimately find unsatisfying.

other people love them, though, so take this for what it's worth... about 2 cents!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict
I think the BM 15A's are really bright. And there is no low midrange.
Old 7th March 2009
what you guys think suits more for hiphop stuff. dynaudios bm5a had more bass response vs adams a7 from when i tested both in a shop and liked em both but they didnt have the p series. i bought the p11a but havent tried em yet for certain reasons. i got my eyes on bm6a mkii which are have the cost of p11s. how does the p series handle bass? i read from people here that they are bright/fatiguing but i also heard from others the top is detailed and smooth and far from fatiguing, so i dont know. people just be saying anything sometimes and praise only the equipment they own. i guess ill find out for myself. any thoughts?
Old 7th March 2009
Gear Head

At first I found the P11As fatiguing, but after making a -2 dB adjustment to room eq > 6kHz (at the back of the monitors), the P11As sound just fine. I'm happy with the purchase.
Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

AAAADAM in this case thumbsup
Old 5th December 2009
Here for the gear

Spare low freq driver for sale (BRAND NEW!!)

I am selling my spare low frequency driver of my Dynaudio BM5. never used and I am selling it cause i need cash, it's literally brand new!

check it:
dynaudio speakers, low frequency driver, studio spare p on eBay (end time 15-Dec-09 13:22:35 GMT)

cheers!
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Addict

I have the BM15 Passives and use a Bryston 4BST to power them. I do a very wide variety of music from score to picture to pop songs. Love the setup. I also use a sub with the Dyn's because I'm a maniac. Some may think they don't need it. I had the Active version of the Dyn's first but they didn't get loud enough before they clipped. Again, I'm a maniac. But no problem with the Passives and the Bryston. Highly recommended!

Here they are sitting on top of NS10's. I did some Auralex treatment behind them. They're also sitting on Auralex MoPads. The sub is on one of their GRAMMA pads too.
Attached Thumbnails
ADAM VS DYNAUDIO-studio_final.jpg  

Last edited by Robert Sands; 5th December 2009 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: typed wrong info
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Depends

A lot depends on the room , the monitor control you use , placement as well as
sample rate , converters and so on .

Testing out monitors is a lot like testing out a new guitar amp . They never sound the same when you get it home !!

It's best to buy from a vender that will let you return them .

I use Adams S2 monitors with a 10" Adams Sub .

The S3 Adams try to push the sub frequencies right in your face and don't do a very good job of it . I find that separation helps the mixing process .

I also use a set of Roland monitors to help me balance out any problems that come up .
Old 12th January 2011
Here for the gear

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sands View Post
I have the BM15 Passives and use a Bryston 4BST to power them. I do a very wide variety of music from score to picture to pop songs. Love the setup. I also use a sub with the Dyn's because I'm a maniac. Some may think they don't need it. I had the Active version of the Dyn's first but they didn't get loud enough before they clipped. Again, I'm a maniac. But no problem with the Passives and the Bryston. Highly recommended!

Here they are sitting on top of NS10's. I did some Auralex treatment behind them. They're also sitting on Auralex MoPads. The sub is on one of their GRAMMA pads too.
Hello, Is that your studio ?
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Addict

Yes, that is my studio. The pic has been stitched which means you see the entire panorama of the room in one shot. My son is a pro photographer and so he took the picture.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear
I felt in love with Adam monitors (I have atm two sets of Adams in studio one at home and I had other Adam models before,
also KRK old V series, quested, NS10, and worked with a pretty wide range of monitor brands) since the very first day I listened to them,
they were A7, and the main reason wasn't for how they sounds or their tweeter or their brightness (all things that I do like about them anyway), not the "linearity" etc..

but because I sat there, cut a mix and it did translate better than any other mix I've done before, which is what I ask my monitors to deliver.

So, it's a very subjective thing, for me they work better than any other monitor, but that definitely a personal thing. To each his own
Old 10th October 2011
re: adams

whats the point of using a ribbon tweeter when no one in the intended audience will ever listen on a ribbon tweeter?
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

some people will listen with a ribbon tweeter, anyone who has magnepans! On the other hand, I love my s3a because they show me all the warts in the recording. My genelecs made clients (and me) think the mix was amazing, but when you played it somewhere else, I found all sorts of problems. I dont find many problems with my mixes anymore. I now keep a pair of high end polks that you can find at a best buy in a second room for clients to listen to if they want to check how others will hear it. The microscope of the adam tweeters gives me better results.

Frost
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Head

Hello!
I did not advise the Adam P11. I liked the treble, but found the medium-low - low resolution, and when there are some sounds even lower frequencies - worse .... I tried the Dynaudio BM6A MK2 and although the highs are not as silky, I found the sound more balanced and understandable. It is only my opinion ...
Greetings
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear
I was patching up my new bay and so I spent a lot of time not in front of my s3a's but literally next to them (actually less than a foot in front and about 3 feet to the side).
Anyway, what I noticed was that I could hear things in the top end that I have never heard before on other mixes of all sorts of material.
I have now positioned them so that they are firing straight out and not straight at me. This has made the top end a million times clearer and and unbelievably revealing.

stunned at the difference

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search