The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
480 vs 960
Old 5th August 2005
480 vs 960

Ok, I've been put off buying the 960 and about to purchase 480 unless someone can convince me otherwise
Is £4000 a fair price for a 480 ver4.1 with larc ?
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
Ok, I've been put off buying the 960 and about to purchase 480 unless someone can convince me otherwise
Is £4000 a fair price for a 480 ver4.1 with larc ?

hi,
i would not pay more than abt3400£
but in the uk everything is expensive

do you work in stereo?
or surround?
do you really need all the presets?
if a few (very goood) presets are enough for you,
try a quantec

brgds
philip
Old 5th August 2005
Thanks philip,

I'm working mainly in stereo and need just the basic 480 verb on vox and snare although rmx16 would be nice on snare so maybe I should get 224xl and the ams ...

My worry is that in a couple of years I'll move to work in surround and then I'll need a highend surround reverb I might regret not getting the 960 ... price of both is similar .

cheers

mac
Old 5th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
My worry is that in a couple of years I'll move to work in surround and then I'll need a highend surround reverb I might regret not getting the 960 ... price of both is similar .

cheers

mac
When i have people ask me question about gear for the future my response is always "let the future take of the future, taking care of the present is what will get you there anyway".

If you aren't working in surround at the moment i wouldn't sweat it.

The 960 and 480 sound nothing alike.

And i disagree with the suggestion of the Quantec for the 480L.

Again apples and oranges, nothing alike.

The price for the 480L seems a little steep if you ask me, but if someone is willing to pay it the prices will continue to skyrocket.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Don't Forget about the PCM 80 and 90. You could get both for less then $2000.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

From I have gathered, the 480 sounds better than the 960. I'm looking for a 480 as well. I hate plugin reverbs.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
Don't Forget about the PCM 80 and 90. You could get both for less then $2000.

imo the 80 and 90 don't hold a candle to the 480. even on their own merits, i don't care for them; very cold, very 80's. the 480 is lush and oozes vibe.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

edit: keep to topic please. 960vs.480

If you only work in stereo consider the TC M4000. It is the stereo version of the System6000 which in my sounds better than the Lexicons.

If you need to work in surround consider the Quantec Yardstick 2496. It has 2 inputs and 6 outputs for surround reverb at aprice of only 3000,- €.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

The 480 does't sound better then the 960 in my opinion. I worked on a 480 last nite for the first time in about a year and I could immediatly hear the difference. I would compare it to looking at a digital picture from a 3 megapixel camera and comparing it to a picture from a 7 megapixel camera. The 960 just has way more detail and is 100% more refined. It is clearer and more natural. Also, the 480's digital limitations are not in tune with the technological trends of the audio industry.
Old 5th August 2005
Since we got the 960, the 480 has been turned off......
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict
I have made extensive listening tests when I was up to get some great reverb machines. I was used to the 480 very much because this machine was basically in any studio I worked. During one month I demoed a 480, a 960, a TC6000 and a Sony DRE777.

As already have been said, the 480 and the 960 are totally different beasts. In my opignion the 960 clearly is a big step foreward to the 480, and I can use it on nearly everything to get a great reverb sound, be it small chambers or rooms, or bright and magic vocal plates. I mainly work on stereo jazz projects, so I absolutoy likes the fact, that with the 960 I get 4 true stereo reverbs. On the other hand I think that the presets on the 960 are not that great, I have to spend quite some time to get it right, but if it is right then it definitly is great.

The 480 on the other hand has something magic. It will sound great with much less editing on the parameters. I have to admitt that I still would prefear the 480 on vocal or solo sounds in some situations. But finally the 960 still wins imo.

After the month of testing all those machines I finally got the 960, aswell as the TC 6000 (which is totally different than the LEX Machines, but also great) and I got two of those lovely Sony DRE777 which I also liked very much. I might still get a 480 later, but I really think it is not so important when a 960 is here. You could never get the sound of a 960 on the 480, but vice versa it is possible with some tweaking and additional processing.

Last but not least I think that a PCM 80 or PCM 90 (both I used often some time ago) are not at all in the leage of a 480, 960 or TC6000, really not even close.

My 2 Cts.

Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search