The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone heard Spoon's Gimme Fiction or know about Austins Mike McCarthy Eno's studios
Old 5th August 2005
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
KROK's Avatar
Anyone heard Spoon's Gimme Fiction or know about Austins Mike McCarthy Eno's studios

I was wondering if anyone has heard the new SPOON cd “Gimme Fiction”. I am just blown away by the vibe of this recording. I have read that it was done at Jim Eno’s Public Hi-fi studio in Austin along with Mike McCarthy from Viewpoint Studios.
Mike McCarthy also worked on the last Fastball CD “Keep Your Wig On” and the Fastball CD has some of the same qualities.
What are these Austin, Texas boys using to get the sounds? Has anyone worked at either Eno’s Public Hi-fi studio or Mike McCarthy’s Viewpoint Studios?

I realize that you can use a million different things and get the same results, but I am genuinely curious as to what kind gear they used to make these albums sound the way they do(vocal sounds, drum sounds, ect…).

I think this album is a great blend of 70's and 80's sounds.

This is Spoon’s web site address: http://www.spoontheband.com/site.html

If you go to the pics link, there are some studio shots…..what kind of board is that in the photo?? There’s also another picture with what looks to be a compressor of some sort maybe?
Old 5th August 2005
  #2
More cowbell!
 
natpub's Avatar
Shhhhh.........It's something we put in the water :-)
Old 5th August 2005
  #3
C/G
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

I have been a huge fan of Spoon for many years. Ever since their Soft Effects EP came out. I just love the simplicity and the "space" in their songs. Never much discussion about this very underrated band. The new album rules and if you like it you should get the one before it "Kill the Moonlight". Awesome! When I found out they record their own albums in their drummers garage studio, it inspired me to buy my own gear and have at it. Spoon ROCK. thumbsup Now if they would only tour Canada and not just play Vancouver or Toronto I would actually get a chance to see them.
Old 5th August 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
dim light's Avatar
 

awesome stuff - never heard spoon before - really cool stuff, want to jump out and by all his CD today. Thanks for the tip!
Old 5th August 2005
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
KROK's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
awesome stuff - never heard spoon before - really cool stuff, want to jump out and by all his CD today. Thanks for the tip!

Ya! This new one is by far their best!

If you are checking them out for the first time, go to itunes website and type in a search for Spoon. They have snipets of all the songs on "Gimme Fiction".
Old 5th August 2005
  #6
C/G
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROK
Ya! This new one is by far their best!

If you are checking them out for the first time, go to itunes website and type in a search for Spoon. They have snipets of all of the songs on "Gimme Fiction".
I like it alot but I still think "Kill The Moonlight" is my favorite. There are some very killer tracks on the new one.
Old 5th August 2005
  #7
Gear Head
 

Take a look around google, there is an awesome photoset on John Vanderslice's website. He worked with Spoon for Gimme Fiction but I believe "Was It You" is the only track that made it on the album from those sessions. Jim Eno owns a Neve 8036 and i'm fairly sure he just tracks through the board, which could explain the incredible cohesiveness to the sound. Ah well i just found the site: http://www.johnvanderslice.com/html/...oon/start.html there are a few good gearslut pics to gawk at. Enjoy!
Old 5th August 2005
  #8
C/G
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

Awesome link Paranoid. I always wondered what those guys had cooking in thier home studio.
Old 5th August 2005
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
KROK's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Take a look around google, there is an awesome photoset on John Vanderslice's website. He worked with Spoon for Gimme Fiction but I believe "Was It You" is the only track that made it on the album from those sessions. Jim Eno owns a Neve 8036 and i'm fairly sure he just tracks through the board, which could explain the incredible cohesiveness to the sound. Ah well i just found the site: http://www.johnvanderslice.com/html/...oon/start.html there are a few good gearslut pics to gawk at. Enjoy!
Great shots. Go figure, great sounds, a Neve!
Old 6th August 2005
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
KROK's Avatar
What is this board here??

This was on Spoon's website.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone heard Spoon's Gimme Fiction or know about Austins Mike McCarthy Eno's studios-spoon-board.jpg  
Old 6th August 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
chrisrulesmore's Avatar
 

Wow, what a truly great sounding record...it is amazing how unique this sounds in the age of uber-compressed digital pop music.

Having lived in Austin, Chicago, DC, Denver, Vienna, and Munich, I can easily answer the aforementioned question as to the source of the talent in this small town...there is no other city that comes remotely close to the Austin music scene. Pick your genre, I would put Austin's local music scene up to Nashville, NYC, and LA combined!
Old 6th August 2005
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Cool record by cool people. Jim Eno's a very lucky guy to have such a sweet studio is his backyard just to play around in. His neve was just resurrected a few years ago, and it turns out, it's the 65th neve ever made. It's a behemoth in size and sound. Mike said he almost doesn't like working on it because it's too lethargic. The record was mixed up in New York at Brooklyn recording on a more up to date neve for the automation and flexibility. I'm not too sure how much Mike used the pre's on the console for the record. I know he carts around a rack full of old tube gear, and an excellent collection of vintage tube mics. He knows what he likes and spends great care in getting just the right performance without having to spend so much time on tweaking gear. I'm really not too sure about too many specifics on this record, but I do know that that picture up there is from Soma Studios up in Chicago with John McEntire's Trident A-Range. I don't think any tracks they worked on up there ended up on the record.

Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio
Old 6th August 2005
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
KROK's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapesaudio
Cool record by cool people. Jim Eno's a very lucky guy to have such a sweet studio is his backyard just to play around in. His neve was just resurrected a few years ago, and it turns out, it's the 65th neve ever made. It's a behemoth in size and sound. Mike said he almost doesn't like working on it because it's too lethargic. The record was mixed up in New York at Brooklyn recording on a more up to date neve for the automation and flexibility. I'm not too sure how much Mike used the pre's on the console for the record. I know he carts around a rack full of old tube gear, and an excellent collection of vintage tube mics. He knows what he likes and spends great care in getting just the right performance without having to spend so much time on tweaking gear. I'm really not too sure about too many specifics on this record, but I do know that that picture up there is from Soma Studios up in Chicago with John McEntire's Trident A-Range. I don't think any tracks they worked on up there ended up on the record.

Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio
Thanks for the insight. It's amazing what cool old gear can add to a recording when used in the right hands.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump