The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Flying Faders PC????
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

Flying Faders PC????

hello gear slutz!!!

I have my tech here from Nashville working on the automation for my VR-60, and the pc fired up, FF loaded, we shut it down, and connected it to the desk, fired it up, now it's giving us a hard drive error. Anyone know the specs of what the newest PC that will run FF is? 486? 386??????

any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Mark Burris
Old 5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Lowdbrent
Call Martinsound.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

I have contacted Martinsound, and am waiting a response. I have seen a guy from there lurking here, and I was also hoping for some response from other owners, who may have tried a few different things then what the factory has. I trust the factory, but there are some smart guys around these parts...

back to looking for "vintage" PC's

Mark Burris
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

HP computer that runs on Windows 2. good luck
Old 5th August 2005
I don't recall the specifics, but do recall that computer parts for that rig are painful to find. Good luck!
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Is it too expensive to upgrade to Encore (the latest and last incarnation of software for Flying Faders)? I've seen it @ The Village on three FF systems (88R, VR72, 8048). It works on modern PC's, so it helps a lot in that respect.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixermarkb
I have contacted Martinsound, and am waiting a response. I have seen a guy from there lurking here, and I was also hoping for some response from other owners, who may have tried a few different things then what the factory has. I trust the factory, but there are some smart guys around these parts...

back to looking for "vintage" PC's

Mark Burris
Hi, Mark

I was just having my first cup of coffee when you wrote this.

Encore is certainly a possibility. Flying Faders II is a likely future possibility.

I know a few people who have successfully built new FF computers, and many who have been unsuccessful. One secret: the first limitation is clock speed, imposed by the Neve Recall card. Second is the HP Viper card (FFII will eliminate these problems).
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

so what about encore? anyone using it?? anyone using the DAW control with a VR???how much for an upgrade from Flying Faders????

I think I am going to try and have martinsound fix my FF pc for now, but if that isn't an option, FFII or encore may be in the cards...

thanks to all for the responses,
Mark
Old 17th January 2007
Here for the gear

A 386 is the newest computer that will run with Flying Faders. Ive seen it freak out with a 486. Never used Encore, be intrested to hear what it's like. This threads pretty old i know, but thought i'd mention it
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Nut

holy old thread batman!!!

thanks for the response though. Flying Faders II and Encore both sound interesting, but we simply asked around and got everyone to give us the old PC's that were in their closets. Got enough drives to last until our tarus computer and/or viper cards start dying...

when that happens I guess it's Flying Faders II for us, as doug has been VERY helpful at Martinsound.

amazing how fast digital stuff turns into unobtainium...
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

When we make new Flying Faders systems (to run the current v3.1 software), we build a brand-new 486 33 mHz PC. The Viper card is picky, but the Neve Recall card in VRs is far more picky about clock speed.

We are building the new interface boxes for Flying Faders II - when we finish these, we will BETA test FFII, and release it soon if all goes well.
Old 23rd February 2008
Here for the gear

lets just make it an annual thread

Hey Doug,

I was looking at Martinsounds page and FF2 isn't there anymore, did you guys stop dev? I poked around on Neves site as well and Encore is only mentioned on the support pages. Did everyone give up on old automation?

Mark, we gotta stop buying 25 year old desks.
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

We've shipped the first few FFII systems and upgrades. Once we finish adding a few features, we will make it widely available for new systems and upgrades. Stay tuned!
Old 27th February 2008
Here for the gear

you seem to be having only hard drive errors. find an old IDE hard drive controller. not a e-ide. then you can use a more modern hard drive. if you see any old IBM type box laying around. steal the hard disk controller and hard drive from it. you will then have to use your install disks to initialise the disk. use a type 2 first, then try 20 and 33 next. this is to try to match the cylinder and sectors of the drive to the bios of the HP mother board. almost any 40 pin drive will work. but no mater how big the drive it will look like 40meg. that is a 20 gig drive will look like 40 meg. try to find something no larger than a 2.2 gig and all should work fine. the original disk controllers were MFM. those are the long gold cards. next technology was the RLL. then came the IDE and all its off shoots. so you should only need to get an IDE controller card and a older ide 40 pin hard drive, not the whole box. if you have questions you can call me at the lab at 323 463 7700 or e-mail [email protected]
John Musgrave

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search